TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Valet Mode?

BluPete

So what does Valet mode actually do? I looked in the owner manual and it tells about how to set it, but doesn’t real say what it does. I’m wondering if it limits how the car can be driven, like in some other high performance cars. I’m guessing that it may only lock out functions such as the address book in the GPS. Anyone out there knows for sure what it does.

So what does Valet mode actually do? I looked in the owner manual and it tells about how to set it, but doesn’t real say what it does. I’m wondering if it limits how the car can be driven, like in some other high performance cars. I’m guessing that it may only lock out functions such as the address book in the GPS. Anyone out there knows for sure what it does.

Only hides all personal info in the navigation system.

Wow always learning something on Team Shelby. I never thought of the personal info in the NAV being at risk. Now if they can only find a way to lock the ash trays* so all my quarters stop going missing at the car wash.

Yes I know our cars don't have conventional ash trays but you get the point.

Steve

So what does Valet mode actually do? I looked in the owner manual and it tells about how to set it, but doesn't real say what it does. I'm wondering if it limits how the car can be driven, like in some other high performance cars. I'm guessing that it may only lock out functions such as the address book in the GPS. Anyone out there knows for sure what it does.

I just can't valet my gt500... i don't know how people can do it.

but more to the point, a good reminder about the personal info

stored!!

I would never "valet" my car either, but it would be real nice to be able to put it in valet mode should I allow anyone else to drive it. Or should it need to be left for service somewhere. It wouldn't have been that difficult to make the valet mode lower the rev and speed limiters as well as the peak stereo volume while it locked up all your GPS info.

I would never "valet" my car either, but it would be real nice to be able to put it in valet mode should I allow anyone else to drive it. Or should it need to be left for service somewhere. It wouldn't have been that difficult to make the valet mode lower the rev and speed limiters as well as the peak stereo volume while it locked up all your GPS info.

I completely agree with what you guys mention here. I too wish the simple Valet mode had those capabilities. However, it seems to enable those safe features, we are supposed to use the My Key feature and set up one of the 2 keys we were given as a sort of 'valet key'. While this may be a good idea for parents giving their kids the keys to the car (cant imagine that happening with a GT500 tho), i dont want to have to now carry around the only 2 keys i have for the car with me, so i can give the MyKey/valet key to the attendant. Also, by configuring 1 of the 2 keys provided with the car as a MyKey, i now no longer have a back-up key for standard use. Therefore, i probably will never use the MyKey feature. It is a good idea, just poorly implemented, IMO, especially for a performance car.

I agree with you guys, the MyKey features should somehow be implemented with the Valet mode feature. Then it would be far more useful.

Mike

Cool info about the Valet mode!!!

As for as personal information on GPS's, after reading a local newspaper article about the subject I changed the "home" address on mine to an intersection rather then my acutal home address. The newspaper article talked about car thieves (lowest life form on the earth) stealing GPS's from parked cars then using the GPS "home" setting to break into homes. The article went on to explain that in some cases the garage door opener in the car was used as an entry point into the home. After reading it all I felt sick, promptly changed the info on my portable GPS and advised my family and friends to do that same. Sad to think there are "people/scum" who do like this.

I just can't valet my gt500... i don't know how people can do it.

but more to the point, a good reminder about the personal info

stored!!

We went to LV and stayed at the Wynn for four nights. Before I gave my car to the Valet I parked it in the "self park" area, went in and heaed for the Concieare<sp?>. He told me to go to the Valet area and speak directly to the top buy, the Valet Supervisor. I asked for the Valet Supervisior and after some worried looks from the Valets he came out and asked me what he could do for me. I explained that I have a new Shelby GT500 that I am *very* particular with and asked him if he would arrange to have it parked in either two spots or off in a corner somewhere. He told me they often get this request as they get $250K Rolls Royce's and Lambo's in there all the time! (made me feel 'poor'! LOL). I went back to self parking, got the GT500 and pulled it into the Valet area. I passed the guy a 20 and he picked the valet to drive it (he actually knew how to drive a stick without over revving or stalling it!). We went on one cruise up/down the strip when we were there and when I went down to the Valet area I saw my car parked right up front, in it's own little area (a triangle shaped "striped" zone) with NO cars withing about 100 feet of it! I was like, "cool"! I asked my Concieare<sp? again> what a typical tip is for the Bell Hops and the Valets, he said 5 bucks is "typical" but I could tip whatever I wanted. I got EXCELLENT service from all (one of the best Hops I've ever had) so I'd hit 'em with a ten spot to bring me my car and a 20 to park it.

The moral of this story is, "You get what you pay for".... (and at the Wynn, you pay a LOT).

I'd do it again in a second...but I'd do it again the same way I did. Go to the Valet SUPERVISOR first and let him know what you expect. I don't know if I'd do it at a 'hole in the wall' hotel but I go to the Broadmoor in CoS (5 star and 5 diamond!) and the Wynn in LV and I use Valet at both (you don't get a choice at the Broadmoor!).

Oh, and for the record I *did* lock my Nav/Electronics in the Valet mode but I also set the "shift tone" down to 300 or 3500 rpm (CRS) so IF some bozo decided to get a little froggy with it, it'd beep him to death! (I figured it would at least alert him and get him to slow down just to see WTF the noise was from!).

Phill

As for as personal information on GPS's, after reading a local newspaper article about the subject I changed the "home" address on mine to an intersection rather then my acutal home address.

For my portable GPS (and my wife's) we didn't actually add a physical address. You go to where you want your "home" to be and set the location as home so it automatically bypasses the need to enter a security code to unlock the GPS AT THAT LOCATION (which can be a intersection near your house, or in my case, my driveway).

Now on my GT500, I think I had to put my address in and designate it as "home". I know when I want to go home I press "The Pollard Residence" button so I may have done it wrong...now I'm not sure and probably ought to check the manual to see how to set the "home location".

Hmm,

Phill

Not a perfect solution but if you have a programmer (like a SCT X3) you can use it to set the rev/rpm and speed limit (I like 3000 and 35mph). Kind of a pain to haul around your programmer but it gives a nice piece of mind. I wouldn't recommend doing this for service as some have noted it might lead to warranty issues.

Lame, you would think someone who programed that would of though about limiting the boost in valet mode on a 550hp muscle car like when new.

I completely agree with what you guys mention here. I too wish the simple Valet mode had those capabilities. However, it seems to enable those safe features, we are supposed to use the My Key feature and set up one of the 2 keys we were given as a sort of 'valet key'. While this may be a good idea for parents giving their kids the keys to the car (cant imagine that happening with a GT500 tho), i dont want to have to now carry around the only 2 keys i have for the car with me, so i can give the MyKey/valet key to the attendant. Also, by configuring 1 of the 2 keys provided with the car as a MyKey, i now no longer have a back-up key for standard use. Therefore, i probably will never use the MyKey feature. It is a good idea, just poorly implemented, IMO, especially for a performance car.

I agree with you guys, the MyKey features should somehow be implemented with the Valet mode feature. Then it would be far more useful.

Mike

a big +1 for all of these. However I'm not reslly sure about the Mykey idea. I hate to see somebody mess up their keys and give your set to the valet. I'd just ask if I can get my keys back or have an aftermarket programmer set it for me it limit all the performance stuff plus personal info. IMHO

We went to LV and stayed at the Wynn for four nights. Before I gave my car to the Valet I parked it in the "self park" area, went in and heaed for the Concieare<sp?>. He told me to go to the Valet area and speak directly to the top buy, the Valet Supervisor. I asked for the Valet Supervisior and after some worried looks from the Valets he came out and asked me what he could do for me. I explained that I have a new Shelby GT500 that I am *very* particular with and asked him if he would arrange to have it parked in either two spots or off in a corner somewhere. He told me they often get this request as they get $250K Rolls Royce's and Lambo's in there all the time! (made me feel 'poor'! LOL). I went back to self parking, got the GT500 and pulled it into the Valet area. I passed the guy a 20 and he picked the valet to drive it (he actually knew how to drive a stick without over revving or stalling it!). We went on one cruise up/down the strip when we were there and when I went down to the Valet area I saw my car parked right up front, in it's own little area (a triangle shaped "striped" zone) with NO cars withing about 100 feet of it! I was like, "cool"! I asked my Concieare<sp? again> what a typical tip is for the Bell Hops and the Valets, he said 5 bucks is "typical" but I could tip whatever I wanted. I got EXCELLENT service from all (one of the best Hops I've ever had) so I'd hit 'em with a ten spot to bring me my car and a 20 to park it.

The moral of this story is, "You get what you pay for".... (and at the Wynn, you pay a LOT).

I'd do it again in a second...but I'd do it again the same way I did. Go to the Valet SUPERVISOR first and let him know what you expect. I don't know if I'd do it at a 'hole in the wall' hotel but I go to the Broadmoor in CoS (5 star and 5 diamond!) and the Wynn in LV and I use Valet at both (you don't get a choice at the Broadmoor!).

Oh, and for the record I *did* lock my Nav/Electronics in the Valet mode but I also set the "shift tone" down to 300 or 3500 rpm (CRS) so IF some bozo decided to get a little froggy with it, it'd beep him to death! (I figured it would at least alert him and get him to slow down just to see WTF the noise was from!).

Phill

Now THAT is freeg'n FUNNY. :hysterical:

Honestly it took me a couple of drives to figure out what the hell all the beeping was about when I first got mine. I can imagine what would happen in the instance a valet took a joy ride and didn't know what was going on.

As for valeting, if the parking lot isn't withing plain sight and I can't watch them park it, then I'm not 1) valeting or 2) taking the Shelby.

It's great to limit information that's available in your GPS, but don't think that it's a fool proof way of protecting your vital information. I've been a cop for 11 years and have seen a lot of things, and I can tell you for sure that theives aren't as dumb as you'd like to hope. They're clever little bastards and unfortunately have all the time in the world to think of new ways to take your shit. Long before you ever had a GPS in your car, things like your registration card, Insurance card, bills, mail or anything else you leave in your car have the same information as your GPS "Home" location. The key to not becoming a victim is to make it hard to be made a victim. Scumbags don't work hard because...well its hard. They won't do things that are hard unless there is no other option. Don't keep stuff like phones, GPS units, satelite radios, etc out in the open where it can be seen. LOCK YOUR DOORS (amazing how many people don't lock their car doors!!!!) Park under lights, in direct view of windows on your house if possible. Be aware of your surroundings, never exit your car until your DONE talking on the phone (man is that a big one). Take different routes home if you drive a flashy car (like most of us do). If you feel like someone's following you, stop at the store, take a few strange turns, you'll know for sure. People get distracted very easily and fail to see clear signs that things are about to go bad or that they're being set up. A lot of times a victim could have avoided the entire incident if they just paid a little more attention to life around them rather then their cell phone, text message, burito, etc.... I could go on for days about the little stupid things you can do to limit your liability.

My Key features suck, and provides zero protection from your kids or anybody from killing themselvs behind the wheel of a 550hp muscle car.

All it does is

(1) Keep the Traction Control ON which seems to give me more wheel spin, just not a smoke show, but especially when shifting into 2nd and getting pretty sideways, and

(2) 80mph speed limiter.....big whoop.

How's this "My Key" suppose to keep "my kid's safer" when you hand them the special key.

Even the 500hp M5/M6 lets you turn down the power down to 400 if you want.

If they want the safest feature it would be the New from Factory Delivery limiter tune which turns out cars into Fiesta's power wise.

It's great to limit information that's available in your GPS, but don't think that it's a fool proof way of protecting your vital information. I've been a cop for 11 years and have seen a lot of things, and I can tell you for sure that theives aren't as dumb as you'd like to hope. They're clever little bastards and unfortunately have all the time in the world to think of new ways to take your shit. Long before you ever had a GPS in your car, things like your registration card, Insurance card, bills, mail or anything else you leave in your car have the same information as your GPS "Home" location. The key to not becoming a victim is to make it hard to be made a victim. Scumbags don't work hard because...well its hard. They won't do things that are hard unless there is no other option. Don't keep stuff like phones, GPS units, satelite radios, etc out in the open where it can be seen. LOCK YOUR DOORS (amazing how many people don't lock their car doors!!!!) Park under lights, in direct view of windows on your house if possible. Be aware of your surroundings, never exit your car until your DONE talking on the phone (man is that a big one). Take different routes home if you drive a flashy car (like most of us do). If you feel like someone's following you, stop at the store, take a few strange turns, you'll know for sure. People get distracted very easily and fail to see clear signs that things are about to go bad or that they're being set up. A lot of times a victim could have avoided the entire incident if they just paid a little more attention to life around them rather then their cell phone, text message, burito, etc.... I could go on for days about the little stupid things you can do to limit your liability.

thanks for your service--im curious on one issue,i used to lock all my cars, but svereal friends of mine had their vert tops ripped open to get inside the car.So im figuring,its cheaper for me to have them just enter the car and steal a radio,rather than rip the top AND steal the radio,so i dont lock the verts--if theyw want to get in a vert,they will.Do you see alot of ripped top verts in your work--what is your suggestion??

Naaa not very often, but there's not too many convertibles left on the streets in the burbs of Philly / Camden City either. I do get what youre saying and I've heard people say that before. As illogical as it may sound to some, it's a very logical way of playing the odds. A new top could cost you a couple G's while a new radio a couple hundred if by chance you get someone pulling on your door handle. I've seen it a few times where people cut into tops to get electronics, but not very often just for a cup full of change. Most of the time there has to be a prize worth running the race if you know what I mean. That's why I recommend not leaving anything out in plain view. If there's nothing visible that's worth the risk of getting caught, most petty thieves will just move on to the next easier target cause trust me, there are a lot of them.

The only real way to keep a vert secure is by parking it in a garage or at least in a driveway close to the house, but obviously that's not always possible. I guess the best thing to do would be to try to park in places that make it hard for someone to take the time to do something like that. Even if its a little inconvenient for you, it may be enough to make it too risky for the potential reward. It sucks that we have to think this way, it really does. I hate thieves with a passion man; I'm getting all worked up just typing this. I have no patience or tolerance for people that take from others simply because its easier than working for it. I can muster up compassion for a guy that steals food for his family or shoplifts a carton of baby formula, but to take just because you can, dam that makes me angry.

Unfortunately thieves are not the only asshats that would cut a vert top though. You have the ones that are just plain old jackasses and feel for some reason that its within their right to mess up other peoples stuff for no rhyme or reason. There's no shortage of stupid in this world, that's for dam sure! There's unfortunately not much that can be done to defend against these Delta Bravos other than catching them in the act and relieving them of your clean breathable oxygen for a couple of minutes, but that's the nature of life unfortunately and like I said before, you can never be 100% guaranteed that you won't become a victim of some crime at one point or another, you can only lower the odds.

I am a retired intelligence officer. One day at CIA in the 1980s we were discussing problems of electronic security of highly-classified documents and all the efforts NSA was making to make it unbreakable. The question came up: "How do the Soviets do it?" The answer was that the USSR didn't trust its top-secret information to electronic storage or transmission; it was always in hardcopy form, hand-couriered. Simple, smart, effective.

The West German rocket company OTRAG was asked how it could compete with the vastly-higher-budgeted NASA. The OTRAG rep held up a pen which at considerable expense NASA had developed to function in zero-gravity. He then said, "We use these," and held up a pencil.

The moral of the story for this thread is that all the security or anti-hotdogging tech in your car can and will be bypassed if someone's smart, experienced, and determined enough to do it. [Rent a DVD of Gone in 60 Seconds for a reminder.] I agree with PistolWhip that the best protection is simple pre-prevention. Car break-in & theft are first & foremost targets of opportunity. Deny the opportunity and you're almost there. In the case of a GT500, also consider Ford's SmartAlert. [Your insurance company may give you a discount for something like this on the car, BTW.]

The only defense against valets is: Don't use one. I never take the Shelby to a valet-only location. In the rare occasions in the past where I have driven an exotic to a valet location, I give the valet a big tip, invite him into the passenger seat, and ask him to direct me where to park the car, which I lock & keep the key. Reverse the procedure at departure. In my experience they have all been cooperative with this approach.

Archived