TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery is at 8.3 volts.. is it dead, or really DEAD?

'07 SGT with about 25,000 miles.. I haven't driven the car since the end of May.. sad, I know. Ever since I got rear-ended, I've been afraid to drive it.

Anyway.. Autozone said it wouldn't take a charge; Kragen said it's at 8.3 volts.. Based on my own knowledge, once a battery goes below 10.5, it's a goner.

So.. anyway to resuscitate this battery, or is it time for a new one? Also, since I'm at 3.5 years with the car, is there any sort of power train warranty that might cover this?

Optimas are waaaay too expensive.. And I don't want a store brand battery (Kragen, Walmart, etc.).. So is Motorcraft the way to go?

Any info would be super.

BTW.. the local dealership quoted me $109 for a new battery - too much?

And yes, I looked into Battery Tenders earlier today. :rolleyes:

Put a battery tender or charger on it & see if it will hold a charge , you have nothing to lose. If you buy a new battery buy a Motocraft they are good batteries. The problem you have is letting it get low in charge which does damage a battery. Use a battery Tender if you are going to leave it for any length of time.

The battery probably sat around for six months also - between the factory and dealership. You got four years out of it. Time for a new one.

Plus the fact that the car had to be jump-started when I first test drove it in March '07..

I lost my job last week so I'm trying to avoid spending much money.. But I don't want to put a non-OEM battery in the car..

So have any of you paid less than $109 for a Motorcraft battery?

hey 65coupe, money is tight so gotta do what u gotta do. buy a battery charger from costco or walmart, charge it up, if takes the charge, coool. if it doesn't hold i say time for a new battery. as for the charger from costco or walmart, return it.

btw costco sells optimas. i know keep it motorcraft is best but if money is short, i say as long as the crank and other specs are all the same, cheaper aftermarket battery will do.

Plus the fact that the car had to be jump-started when I first test drove it in March '07..

I lost my job last week so I'm trying to avoid spending much money.. But I don't want to put a non-OEM battery in the car..

Sounds like two cells have gone south. Charging it would be a very short term solution at best.

I have had the best luck with Interstate batteries, MTP-40R should fit the bill, and its about $110, unfortunately. Johnson Controls make both Interstate and Motorcraft, so either should work well. Might save a few bucks at Wally World...should get you by for now.

Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate.

Most batteries are made by a very few manufacturers. Despite the labels on the outside, they're all pretty much the same

The factory battery is a short term deal, they only last about 4-5 years, plan on buying a new one. I always buy Optima for the performance cars, but I have bought others for my daily drivers, believe it or not I've had very good luck with the Wal-Mart top line which is called Maxxum or something like that. They are yellow and at the time I bought them they were around 80$, they could be more now I haven;t had to buy a battery for awhile.

Good luck with finding a new job...I was out of work for 17 months and was getting to the point of starting to think of what I was going to have to sell first, and the Shelby was heading to the head of the line when I finally found a new job.

$109 for the Motorcraft battery is a pretty fair deal if you want to stick with stock...I'm kinda like you in that respect on these cars, but then again, I've made a bunch of changes to mine as well...Definately buy a battery tender if you are going to leave her parked for any length of time...week or two at a time and she'll be fine...I had to purchase one for my bike when I had to finally put a new battery in it, and I bought a spare set of connectors for the Shelby just in case...

Take care, and again, good luck with the job hunt. I know it sucks, but keep your chin up!

Most batteries are made by a very few manufacturers. Despite the labels on the outside, they're all pretty much the same

If money is a concern, buy a cheapie. It won't hurt the car.

It gets you on the road just fine. After things get better, go back to Motorcraft. In the meantime, drive it!

edit***

If you leave the car un-driven for weeks or months at a time, do get a tender. Cheap insurance...

Archived