TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What MPG are you getting in your GT500?

Ezareth

62 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average MPG?

2. 2. What Year is your car?

I've been trying to determine if my driving habits are on par with others or not and if the 2011 really does get better gas mileage. I did determine that the MPG is very accurate by measuring against my gas consumption.

I'm averaging 14 MPG over the 4000 miles I have on my vert so far and I in no way baby it while driving.

I reset the MPG last night doing about 100 in third gear and saw my MPG averaging 3.2 for the stretch.

I have, per my trip computer on the tach, 18 MPG over the course of a tank of gas. That's with a mix of highway and city driving that is approximately 70/30, but more 60/40 when you think about the traffic on the Minnesota highways. I use my GT500 to drive to work downtown when the weather is not bad (rain). It'll get put up around Nov 1st and won't see the light of day until April because of the Minnesota winters.

With my '10 Vert I average about 15.9

That said, I have already gotten 22.7 on an extended highway trip.

I've also gotten 10.1 after a nice lead-foot day...

:woot:

I was testing it on the highway at 70MPH in 6th gear with the top up and I was only getting 20.3-20.5 (granted I had 2 people in the car)

I don't see where they are getting this up to 27MPH on highway deal.....do you have to drive 50MPH in 6th gear to get it?

The gearing will affect the MPG's also. Those with the SVTPP I would guess get less MPG's on average if the car is driven the same way.

The gearing is offset by the larger wheel diameter so it is almost a wash in that respect, however the larger tire size could impact mileage and even though Ford sold 70% of their '11s with the PP, the mileage rating could be for the non-PP car.

I'll have to do some more highway testing at different speeds, I was just surprised I couldn't get it to average over 20MPG in 6th gear doing only 70.

This is a tough one. I drive about 60 KM 40 Miles a day 90% highway. I can go a full week or 300KM 250 Miles on a tank. But if I get on it, you know drop it into 3rd and see ya wouldn't wanna be ya. it maybe goes 3 days??? I have never had much faith in the on board computer but if you guys think they are accurate I'll have to look at it and see what it reads

Haven't calculated it, but the computer is saying about 16 MPG. I'm only on my second tank with less than 500 miles. I expect it to get a little better as the it breaks in, but it really doesn't matter a whole lot to me. My daily driver is a '06 F150 Supercrew with a 6" lift and 35" tires. With my GT500 and F150, I am basically the anti-christ to my neighbors with two Toyota Prius.

'11 w/ SVPP. Computer says 18.4 - it handles my commute for me on decent days - some highway, some stop-and-go. The '10 I traded in got about one mpg more in similar driving; I think I'm thrashing this one a little harder - it seems much easier to drive, and more responsive. :shift:

I was testing it on the highway at 70MPH in 6th gear with the top up and I was only getting 20.3-20.5 (granted I had 2 people in the car)

I don't see where they are getting this up to 27MPH on highway deal.....do you have to drive 50MPH in 6th gear to get it?

No, the Driver Information Center LIES!

My DIC said I was getting 25+ mpg but my calculator was showing it in the 21-22 mpg area. That was on a trip from CO to CA and back, all freeway driving primarily on cruise control, mostly AT the speed limit (75 mph for a good part of it).

I won't complain with 21-22 mpg. When we take my wifes Merceds Benz ML (SUV) she gets right about the same mpg, sometimes as low as 19 mpg. The problem with the Shelby is the size of the gas tank which means we have to stop sooner and make four stops instead of our normal three. My GMC Sierra gets better mileage and has a larger tank so we actually only make two stops with it (Green River UT and LV NV or Barstow CA).

Short story, they aren't getting 27 mpg, their Driver Information Center is just telling them they are unless the odo on my Shelby is WAYYY off. And I know that's not the case since I had to stop WAY short of Green River UT last time (at Grand Junction CO, about 90 miles short).

The calculator doesn't lie. 20-22 mpg all the way, both ways.

Phill

Yesterday, I set the cruise control at 70, reset the mpg function, and, 150 miles later, it indicated 27.2 mpg. Had a light tailwind, though. Have just over 10k miles on my 2010.

Use your odo, your actual gallons used and a calculator.

It will NOT match, I gaurantee you that. I don't know why but the drivers information center is off, to the high side.

Been there done that (see my previous post).

Phill

It will NOT match, I gaurantee you that. I don't know why but the drivers information center is off, to the high side.

Phill

My info data is very close...I have checked it before. My overall average, using odo and gallons purchased, is just over 24 in 10k+ miles. I am an mileage nut who likes a lot of power but hardly ever uses it. It is possible to get good mileage if you want to.

Phill

That is odd because I measured three tanks EXACTLY using the pump readout and I did the comparison in my head (hate calculators)and it was within a 10th of a gallon every time.

Maybe they are off for some people and not others? That would explain how some people are saying they are getting 27MPG highway, or 18MPG on average. I'll have to rest a few more tanks of gas since I've been resetting it recently.

No, the Driver Information Center LIES!

My DIC said I was getting 25+ mpg but my calculator was showing it in the 21-22 mpg area. That was on a trip from CO to CA and back, all freeway driving primarily on cruise control, mostly AT the speed limit (75 mph for a good part of it).

I wonder if Cruise Control somehow interferes with it?

21-22 MPG seems accurate for that speed.

That is odd because I measured three tanks EXACTLY using the pump readout and I did the comparison in my head (hate calculators)and it was within a 10th of a gallon every time.

Yeah, but I'll bet you're not one of those guys claiming 27 mpg, are ya?

My DIC claims 25+. That's not what my gallons vs. miles computes out to (and IMO, 25 would be *high* for a GT500).

I was typically in the 20-22 mpg range, which is more believeable to me (using a calculator, not via the DIC).

So it appears that *some* Driver Info. Center mpg computations are off. But a BUNCH...and some are off, by a little. And some are pretty close.

The *only* different thing I did on my GT500 trip from CO to CA and back was when I used a on-ramp, I'd bust a hard run out of it and typically merge at about 80-85 mph (remember, the speed limit is 75 mph!). I'd use it for a "short quarter mile" run, so to speak. But that's what, 4 times each way? (accounting for 3 gas stops and 1 food stop ea. way).

Just my observation,

Phill

Yeah, but I'll bet you're not one of those guys claiming 27 mpg, are ya?

My DIC claims 25+. That's not what my gallons vs. miles computes out to (and IMO, 25 would be *high* for a GT500).

I was typically in the 20-22 mpg range, which is more believeable to me (using a calculator, not via the DIC).

So it appears that *some* Driver Info. Center mpg computations are off. But a BUNCH...and some are off, by a little. And some are pretty close.

The *only* different thing I did on my GT500 trip from CO to CA and back was when I used a on-ramp, I'd bust a hard run out of it and typically merge at about 80-85 mph (remember, the speed limit is 75 mph!). I'd use it for a "short quarter mile" run, so to speak. But that's what, 4 times each way? (accounting for 3 gas stops and 1 food stop ea. way).

Just my observation,

Phill

I *Love* on ramps, I usually end up exiting them doing 85-100 depending on traffic.

I was testing at 50MPH in 6th gear and was only getting 22MPG. Mine definately still seems accurate, as well as my Miles until empty readout.

Sad thing is the "manual" says to shift to 6th gear at 46 MPH which makes no sense to me...the engine is practically sputtering at that low of RPMS.

All city driving average around 10-12 mpg. You guys that are getting 18 mpg + are probably going to get 40,000 miles out out your tires too. lol. Open em up occasionally grampa and enjoy the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed. :dance:

I have to say, I'm doing what the owners manual says during the break in period in Varying my driving... I'm hoping when done, I'll be able to take advantage of some better fuel economy... Right now I know I'm getting far worse mileage than in my 03 Termie... Which I guess would make sense with the smaller displacement engine and SC.

All city driving average around 10-12 mpg. You guys that are getting 18 mpg + are probably going to get 40,000 miles out out your tires too. lol. Open em up occasionally grampa and enjoy the car the way it was meant to be enjoyed. :dance:

Yeah I just don't see how that is possible.... 17+ MPG means I'd have NO fun driving my car. I'm trying to cut back a bit and see if I can get my MPG up but I can't even keep my MPG over 15 for a single average day!

Archived