TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire talk

thewheelman

With all the interest in the KR tires and constant discussion about tires, I'm wondering about the oem tires I'm still running. I've just ticked over 20k on my GT 500 and the tires appear to be holding up rather well. Didn't someone mention that the oem tires are 20k tires? Either I'm not driving it hard enough (!) or I've taken extra good care of them....... Throughout the years I've found that some tires, especially the Michelin's seem to wear forever, but get so noisy and harsh toward the end that you're wanting them to wear out!

What kind of mileage are you getting out of your original tires?

With all the interest in the KR tires and constant discussion about tires, I'm wondering about the oem tires I'm still running. I've just ticked over 20k on my GT 500 and the tires appear to be holding up rather well. Didn't someone mention that the oem tires are 20k tires? Either I'm not driving it hard enough (!) or I've taken extra good care of them....... Throughout the years I've found that some tires, especially the Michelin's seem to wear forever, but get so noisy and harsh toward the end that you're wanting them to wear out!

What kind of mileage are you getting out of your original tires?

I have 33K on my front Goodyears and they are about done. Mostly highway miles. The rear F-1's must have been defective I had to change them at 16K!!

Now having a set of the KR tires on hand for when they might be needed, I'm pretty interested in how many miles the stock GT500 tires are likely to last myself.

Looks like the KR tires were made in mid-'08, so do have a few years before the KRs should be getting "old"

yea i changed mine out 16k the back ones were so bad...... tires get super loud as they wear out and if i hit even a quarter inch of water my car would hydroplain....... with that said last night i was driving at 30mph with my nitto 555's and i hit a puddle and did a 180 across 3 lanes of traffic, luckily it was 3am in the morning and no damage was done to my wheels or tires i only hit grass......wheww close one. but i hated those stock tires, the nitto's are a little better, but you still feel every little bump in the road, and still a lot of road vibrations.

I have 15K on the stock F1's now but went ahead a bought a set of the KR tires for that price as mine will not last too much longer and have a ton of road noise now.... Even though I don't drive in the rain, I prefer not to have a blowout either!

My original rear tires lasted about 13.5K. I traded them and the fronts off to a guy that wanted to put them on his fox. He told me the other day someone stole them the night he took them home. He owns a BBQ place downtown and was showing them off that day. The second set of F1s have lasted about 25K and I think I can get another 5k out of them. I've been running 30psi in the fronts and 27/28psi in the rears.

Archived