TEAM SHELBY FORUM

painted valve covers

its candy apple red over silver base coat i used candie concentrate in what what we call midcoat clear basically its a clear basecoat paint its mixed at a 10% ratio

ill get them installed on friday i hope then post them up. the red ties in with the rest of the red i have on the car and in the engine bay

JIM

its candy apple red over silver base coat i used candie concentrate in what what we call midcoat clear basically its a clear basecoat paint its mixed at a 10% ratio

ill get them installed on friday i hope then post them up. the red ties in with the rest of the red i have on the car and in the engine bay

JIM

looks very nice here is what i did, 065519-R1-26-25A.jpg

065519-R1-26-25A.jpg

I don't think you need high temp paint on valve covers, even on blocks, normal single stage paint seems to hold up pretty damn good....

I never even considered just painting mine, but I might just do that when it's time! We'll see if the SA versions are available by then!

I painted the ones on my 05 GT with wheel paint to get that anthracite look. They looked awesome for nearly 3 years, then the paint started bubbling up just a bit in the recessed corners. Not too badly, but it would have needed redone in another year or two. Definitely worth the trouble tp paint them, however.

did you use a adhesive promoter ? and what type of primer

thanks for the nice comments y'all

JIM

Didn't use adhesive promoter. Used Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel enamel and Dupli-Color Gray Primer Engine enamel. Mostly a good result, but not as good as powder-coating would have been. Can't decide how to treat my SGT. Haven't done anything to the covers yet. Sure would like some black-wrinkle finish finned covers like they used to put on the 289s....

Archived