TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Repairing Crack in Brake Duct Bezels

Has anyone had issues with cracks developing in their brake duct bezels? Mine has about an inch long crack (not jagged) on the inside of the fog light hole. Any suggestions on what to use to repair the crack, I'm planning on painting the duct after the repair so color is not an issue to patch it. The crack does go all the way through the tube, but is about an inch long from where the fog light touches it to the other opening. I'm not sure what type of plastic the original kits are made of so I'm not sure what would work best to make sure the crack is sealed and doesn't progress.

08sgt1289

Has anyone had issues with cracks developing in their brake duct bezels? Mine has about an inch long crack (not jagged) on the inside of the fog light hole. Any suggestions on what to use to repair the crack, I'm planning on painting the duct after the repair so color is not an issue to patch it. The crack does go all the way through the tube, but is about an inch long from where the fog light touches it to the other opening. I'm not sure what type of plastic the original kits are made of so I'm not sure what would work best to make sure the crack is sealed and doesn't progress.

08sgt1289

I usually have the best luck with a 2-part epoxy...

Jer

I have always had good luck with JB-weld products. Put it on, let cure, sand smooth and paint.

+1

its made by evercoat i get mine from tri city paint there in san dieago there web address is tcpglobal.com

i would think any place that sells auto body supplies should have it or should be able to get it . the stuff works really good

i been doing alot of the stock radiator covers and filling in the holes were the hood prop rod was and haven't had any issues in 2 years

JIM

its made by evercoat i get mine from tri city paint there in san dieago there web address is tcpglobal.com

i would think any place that sells auto body supplies should have it or should be able to get it . the stuff works really good

i been doing alot of the stock radiator covers and filling in the holes were the hood prop rod was and haven't had any issues in 2 years

JIM

Sounds like cool stuff to have in the toolbox! I'm gonna look into it... thanks!

Jer

I've had no issues with mine cracking, but I did notice something in your statement/question about the crack originating from where the "light touches the bezel". That may be the cause of the cracking - my lights sit just behind the bezel about 1/8+ inch and don't touch the bezel at all! Vibration/rubbing/bumping of the lights against the bezel is a suspect, so I would suggest you adjust your lights back a bit to help prevent that from happening again.

Just a suggestion!

Sam

I've had no issues with mine cracking, but I did notice something in your statement/question about the crack originating from where the "light touches the bezel". That may be the cause of the cracking - my lights sit just behind the bezel about 1/8+ inch and don't touch the bezel at all! Vibration/rubbing/bumping of the lights against the bezel is a suspect, so I would suggest you adjust your lights back a bit to help prevent that from happening again.

Just a suggestion!

Sam

I ended up cracking it when installing the part, I don't even have the lights in yet. I got the drivers side in fine, but when maneuvering the passenger side one in I must have pushed a little two hard. I ended up buying some JB weld for 4 bucks at an auto parts store (they would have had to special order the Fibertech stuff and it would have cost 35 bucks) So I'm going to try this stuff tonight. I'm going to paint the tunnels for both fog lights I was thinking a flat black, since I will have to sand the JB weld down. These parts are used so hopefully I can sand the scratches out of the tunnels and give them a nice finish and repair the crack at the same time.

Any recommedations for paint? I was thinking of just going down to a Ford Dealer and getting some paint they used on the 04 Mach 1.

08sgt1289

So I bought some duplicolor paint today (flat black for use on plastic bumpers). I finished sanding the JB weld down, so I just have to sand down the rest of the tunnel so it paint will grip well. I'm going to try to paint it tonight, and if it looks good I will be doing the same to the other bezel to match. I will post pictures of the results as soon as its finished.

08sgt1289

Archived