TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hood shake at 70?

DrewKlugger

Yup all of them do it. The hood design, with the lip at the front, catches a lot of air and the hood shakes. You just hope the latch holds. Supposedly the 2010's were redisgned to improve the airflow.

On the bright side..once you get above 100 it seams to settle down..... :hysterical:

Hood pins help to insure the hood doesn't fly up and gives you confidence. A number of people have added them to their cars and if you don't mind drilling the hood, it's a pretty easy mod. Hood pins are a standard on any SAI modded vehicle. On the bright side I have yet to see any member post that their hood flew open at speed.

GT

Drew, if you read all of the pre-production literature on the early GT500 test mules, the hoods were flying off at speed due to the combination of air intake and supercharger heat build-up. This was the reason for the hood vent design on our cars. It is also the reason that there is a very coarse opening on the gills of the vents. It allows water to come streaming in on the motor when you wash the car, but the alternative is a hood flying off the car like a kite! IMHO, the guys that are replacing their vents with the TrueForged billet vents, are playing with fire! These vents restrict the ventilation that was intentionally built in to our cars. If you drive the car spirited regularly, or most certainly track the car, the stock vents are an important necessity...not just a cosmetic touch!

BIKEBOY

at about 70 or 80mph i notice my hood to shake, now is this just because of the vents on the front of it?

Do you have aftermarket wheels and/or tires?

A friend of mine installed aftermarket wheels and tires on his GT500. He complained of the same hood shake at around 70mph. It turned out that one or more of his wheels/tires were not balanced.

My car has the stock wheels/tires and the hood does not shake at all. The hood vents are designed to let out the underhood pressure at speed. In contrast, my '05 Mustang GT's flat, non-vented hood used to shake badly. Other than that, the GT was smooth so I'm guessing that the wheels/tires were balanced.

Stone stock (mechanically) and had no hood shake whatsoever until the front end got knocked off by a Camry. Hood shook at 70+, dropped by the body shop and they adjusted the rubber stops at the front edge of the fenders and I haven't noticed it since.......

bikeboy-

"but the alternative is a hood flying off the car like a kite! IMHO, the guys that are replacing their vents with the TrueForged billet vents, are playing with fire! These vents restrict the ventilation that was intentionally built in to our cars."

You dont think tru forged vents flow as much air?? Wont it be about the same as postive pressure coming through the radiator will dtermine what the vent output will be....not that I'm an engineer.

bikeboy-

"but the alternative is a hood flying off the car like a kite! IMHO, the guys that are replacing their vents with the TrueForged billet vents, are playing with fire! These vents restrict the ventilation that was intentionally built in to our cars."

You dont think tru forged vents flow as much air?? Wont it be about the same as postive pressure coming through the radiator will dtermine what the vent output will be....not that I'm an engineer.

You know, after I posted that I knew someone would call me out on it. I'm NO engineer either. I am just a very estute, fussy, design oriented individual. I missed my calling, as it relates to auto design. One of the things I PRIDE myself on is the ability to call things out on brand new cars when they are first released, or are in testing stage photos. I usually tell my wife, "watch that will / should never make it to production" or " next year, they will get rid of or change that". I'm right alot of the time, as I think I have a keen eye for design. As for something mechanical, like the hood vent, I am just saying....it seems silly to make that stock vent overly exposed to the engine for water intake, unless for the larger purpose? Soooo, the tiny holes in the TrueForged vents, while they may look great to some, IMHO appear that they would restrain airflow. Working on the theory of leaves built up on your radiator fins, let's just say. Clogging airflow?

I do think though, that to have any serious backlash on this, you would have to really be tracking the car under 'extreme' conditions, which is what they were doing on testing that created the hoods flying off to begin with. Sorry I didn't explain myself more thoroughly on the first post, Awake.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I've been following the GT-500 program since 2005 and this is the first i'm hearing of the proto-type hoods flying off.

Can you supply me with a link so I can read up on it?

Thanks

- Joe

Joe, I am not computer savvy enough to get you a link, but I will find a mag article and get that to you! I keep EVERYTHING I have ever read on our cars!!

:)

Hey Chris,

I've been following the GT-500 program since 2005 and this is the first i'm hearing of the proto-type hoods flying off.

Can you supply me with a link so I can read up on it?

Thanks

- Joe

OK Joe. This is the first article I found that I could remember specifically reading on this subject.

Hot Rod Magazine July 2006 page 52

"Last year we said the hoodscoops were non-functional, but that was wrong.These vents are fully functional air extractors and are the direct result of the FR500C racing program, after one of the race cars lost it's hood in the first race due to a buildup of underhood air. It actually ripped the production hood right off it's hood pins."

This magazine is torn to shreds, as it was evidentally a toy for Cozmo!!! But this page thankfully is still ledgible.

Chris

OK Joe. This is the first article I found that I could remember specifically reading on this subject.

Hot Rod Magazine July 2006 page 52

"Last year we said the hoodscoops were non-functional, but that was wrong.These vents are fully functional air extractors and are the direct result of the FR500C racing program, after one of the race cars lost it's hood in the first race due to a buildup of underhood air. It actually ripped the production hood right off it's hood pins."

This magazine is torn to shreds, as it was evidentally a toy for Cozmo!!! But this page thankfully is still ledgible.

Chris

Thanks for typing it out. When they say "production" hood, are they talking about the concept hood that never made it to production?

You can make the shake a little better by adjusting those rubber stoppers on either side of the car right next to the headlights. If you turn them counter clockwise, you are inenssence unscrewing them making them a little taller. Then close the hood and they will hold the hood tighter on the latch. If you take them too far out, then the hood will not latch as easy as it normally would and you also may screw up the body lines making the hood look like its not closed. I noticed this the week I bought mine, and I adjusted them alot. Now my hood bearly shakes at all at any speed. Try that, but dont get too carried away. If you have to slam the hood to get it to latch, then you need to take the adjusters back in a turn or two. Play with it.

Thanks for typing it out. When they say "production" hood, are they talking about the concept hood that never made it to production?

I am going to go out on a limb and make an assumption here...I know, that's dangerous!

But, they are referring to the FR500C race car, that was really the motivation for our production cars that we all drive. I have looked extensively now this afternoon at the pics of that car, and it appears that the hood in question was an early hood that went on the 'production' FR500C, and they figured this was an issue which was thank goodness figured out on the 500C as a mule for our consumer version vehicles. I remember reading that our cars would do 154mph...and that the hood flying off occurred at or near 150.

I am going to go out on a limb and make an assumption here...I know, that's dangerous!

But, they are referring to the FR500C race car, that was really the motivation for our production cars that we all drive. I have looked extensively now this afternoon at the pics of that car, and it appears that the hood in question was an early hood that went on the 'production' FR500C, and they figured this was an issue which was thank goodness figured out on the 500C as a mule for our consumer version vehicles. I remember reading that our cars would do 154mph...and that the hood flying off occurred at or near 150.

Yeah, i'm gonna agree with your assumption that it was a hood from the FR500C. I remember being so involved and following the GT-500 back on the "Brads Mustang" site in 2005. We were all over the GT-500....if hoods were flying off, it would've been a huge topic.

As far as stock GT-500 hoods now, I can say that I hit 145mph and while the hood danced a bit, it did not fly off.

I recently hit 152mph in the KR and that hood was solid as a rock. No dancing what-so-ever.

You can make the shake a little better by adjusting those rubber stoppers on either side of the car right next to the headlights. If you turn them counter clockwise, you are inenssence unscrewing them making them a little taller. Then close the hood and they will hold the hood tighter on the latch. If you take them too far out, then the hood will not latch as easy as it normally would and you also may screw up the body lines making the hood look like its not closed. I noticed this the week I bought mine, and I adjusted them alot. Now my hood bearly shakes at all at any speed. Try that, but dont get too carried away. If you have to slam the hood to get it to latch, then you need to take the adjusters back in a turn or two. Play with it.

+1. I did the same and helped my flutter from quite a bit (kinda scary) to minimal at 120+.

Archived