TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Camera

randymarble

It's possible. There's a product called a Lock Pick that allows you to add a rear-view camera to the system (among many other features) and is all plug and play. No splicing and no added switches or wiring. Supposedly its a very simple system and from what I've read it works great. I'll be getting one eventually.

I went about it in a different way...no lock pick required.

I had my Display unit flashed with the data from a Mustang 5.0 with the rear camera and it activated the camera function in my GT500. I ordered the sync12 cable from lock pick (20 bucks or so) and used that to patch in the video feed from a camera I ordered. It works perfectly and exactly as the OEM 5.0 camera although it doesn't unlock the DVD function or Navigation in motion like the lock pick does.

I had my Display unit flashed with the data from a Mustang 5.0 with the rear camera and it activated the camera function in my GT500. I ordered the sync12 cable from lock pick (20 bucks or so) and used that to patch in the video feed from a camera I ordered. It works perfectly and exactly as the OEM 5.0 camera although it doesn't unlock the DVD function or Navigation in motion like the lock pick does.

Hey Mulanzo...

Where did you mount the camera? Have a pic we could see?

Thanks Man!

GUS

Hey Mulanzo...

Where did you mount the camera? Have a pic we could see?

Thanks Man!

GUS

I have yet to mount the camera... I tested the camera by plugging it in and saw the image on the screen. Haven't had time to route the wires etc.

Eventually it will be placed between the license plate lights on the rear end. I had the housing of the camera painted to match my car so you can hardly even see it once its mounted.

Supersnakeman how did you have your Display unit reflashed? Do you have to remove the head unit or are you able to use the external USB port? Where did you get the 5.0 file to reflash with? It sounds as if this would be the way to go.

It's a pretty simple process. You don't need to unplug or remove anything to reprogram the head-unit. (You WILL need to remove the head unit eventually to install the patch-cable to allow the video line-in feed however) I had to find a 5.0 mustang with all the same options as my car + the rear camera. I got the VIN for that car. You take your GT500 to the SVT dealer and have them reprogram the ACM with the VIN from the mustang and it will activate the camera. They will connect their OASIS system to the car underneath the steering wheel. They will have to enter the VIN into their system to get the As-Built-Data which they will then have to enter into the gt500 manually (a pain). If you have a 2010 or 2011 GT500, this vin should work: 1ZVBP8CF4B5108689.

There is one side effect that I haven't been able to get rid of... the car boots with the Mustang logo on the screen instead of the Cobra. That lasts for about 3 seconds and then it goes away so it doesnt even bother me anymore. When you take it to have the process done at the dealer...the tech will look at you funny when you give him the instructions and will tell you it wont work. It will. The only way you will know it worked when you leave the dealership is that when you put the car into reverse, the screen will go black (if you don't have the camera already installed). If it doesn't go black it means that the Head-Unit is not accepting the video feed. If it goes black..it is accepting the video feed for a camera that doesn't exist (yet).

I began the installation of the backup camera and the reverse parking sensors today. Im using a camera from AV Electronics and the PD1 Parking Sensor. I wont have the electronics hooked up for a while but I have some free time today and tomorrow to do the install so I thought I'd post some pics.

Here's the Antenna pattern install for the parking sensor. It uses an electromagnetic field to detect approaching objects instead of drilling ugly holes and having those ugly black sensors sticking out. Entirely invisible once installed.

69867133.jpg

Here is the install for the Rear Camera. The camera is the exact width of the stripes on the outside. Looks nice! It had two different thicknesses of rubber spacers but I went with the thicker just to ensure a tighter fit and so that it doesn't swivel or move. I also sealed the inside with mastic gum to keep it water tight. The angle makes it really obvious but when its sitting upright in normal light, you almost don't even realize it's there.

26590817.jpg

Here is the backside. I mounted it right smack between the two license plate lights. I haven't finished putting the mastic all around. I want to hook up the electronics first and see if the camera is perfectly horizontal before sealing it up. I had to make a 1 inch hole with a hole saw from the outside (too tight on the inside to do it). Make sure if you do a similar install you make a pilot hole. Hole saws are wild animals without a guide.

67755126.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having taken delivery of my SVTPP Coupe yesterday, I'm already raring to go with respect to adding a backup sensor and camera. I've yet to decide which route to go with respect to the video display (rearview mirror LCD or Navigation Screen), but I'm prepared for both eventualities. I picked-up the OEM Gentex Mirror, but I'm not yet ready to give-up the notion of the Navigation screen (which would be my preferred choice) although I just can't bring myself to forgoing the Cobra welcome screen to do so.

I'm considering the Ultimate Lockpick whose primary purpose is to circumvent the Navigation's in-motion lockout features, but whose side-benefit is the addition of a rear video input (or primary backup camera if one doesn't exist). I just don't know whether or not it will fully integrate out-of-the-box without further reprogramming.

With respect to your installation, Mulanzo, does your backup camera superimpose distance markers? Also would you have the link and/or ordering information for the electromagnetic system distance sensor? I'd love to somehow mate it to the smarts of the standard system to match the default Ford "beep" in my other vehicles.

Thanks!

With respect to your installation, Mulanzo, does your backup camera superimpose distance markers? Also would you have the link and/or ordering information for the electromagnetic system distance sensor? I'd love to somehow mate it to the smarts of the standard system to match the default Ford "beep" in my other vehicles.

My specific camera doesn't superimpose the markers. I was looking into it, but decided it doesn't really make a difference...I got the camera to make sure dogs and little kids aren't behind me and to see if there's a curb or something that I missed. I can pretty much park it in as tight as spot and as close to the wall as you allow without having to worry but It's nice to have the reassurance.

As for the parking sensor, I used the parking dynamics sensor because it's totally invisible once installed. This is the link:

http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/

I also have a front sensor that I purchased which I won't be installing. If anybody is interested, I can sell you that for a nice little discount off the website price.

No more Cobra on boot though :(

I was surprised to learn from reading an F-150 forum discussion about adding backup cameras to SYNC navigation systems using the LockPick that Ford's factory backup cameras are designed to be "always on" - i.e. they are always powered, and the head unit simply chooses to display the signal or not - rather than many aftermarket products that wire the camera power to the reverse lights and use the presence or absence of a video signal to trigger a video source switch in the display device.

I'm trying to find a suitable Ford camera from another vehicle whose mounting housing isn't integrated into the vehicle it's designed for so much that it could be easily-adapted for Mustang use (in physical, rather than electronic terms). I find Ford's cameras work very well at night - and having an MKS and Flex that are so-equipped, I'd prefer a camera that offers the same superimposed distance markers - as much for consistency's sake as any practical reason. As a side note, while there have been some subtle year-on-year changes to the head unit of Ford's largest-screen SYNC-based navigation systems, I find that having a common electronics suite among ALL my vehicles to be phenomenally convenient. Anybody who knows me also knows the less amount of thinking I have to do, the better-off the entire world winds up being. :)

The only outlier for me is my Transit Connect which, despite being almost totally blind, offered no backup camera for 2010. As a work-around, I used the blanking panel insert in the left rear cargo door as an opportunity to create a custom-crafted aftermarket solution that looks, fits, and works like the McCoy. I routed the video to a 7" windshield-mounted aftermarket GPS (the cargo van has no windshield-mounted rear view mirror) and tied its power to a unique "fog lamp" feature (a carryover from European vehicles) on the headlamp switch so I can pretty-much have a permanent live video feed that functions as a virtual rear view mirror. I want whatever I do for the Mustang to look just as "factory" as I was able to pull-off with the Transit.

(The plate is primed, and was later painted and cleared to factory match)

mount.jpg?psid=1

But... the bottom-line is that I just want a damn backup camera on the $60K vehicle I bought - which is available to owners of the $25K version. Gimme a powered passenger seat and heated seats too, while I'm at it. And it pisses me off that Ford would cheap its way out of $50 of component cost without ANY plausible benefit whatsoever.

I mean, at least Porsche, Ferrari and other car makers whose numbers and performance and handling GT500 is being built to compete with that charge ungodly more for "super" or "lightweight" versions of their vehicles have a purpose in mind. I get that lighter aluminum wheels can be more expensive to forge - and a price premium is commensurate with their heightened performance - and rightfully so. Even Porsche goes as far as removing interior door handles in favor of fabric pull handles to save weight - and for as silly as it may seem at least it's in pursuit of some sort of plausible aim. I challenge ANY SVT engineer to show me a millionth of a second difference due to weight savings created by not offering heated seats. Ford's only aim seems to have been "cheaper".

That's not a problem - hell, it's even expected - for a shoddy car maker. But now that Ford has been radically improved its own product, it's also raised its own bar - and it's going to be these kinds of nonsensical choices that are going to become decision points for people as they begin to accept Ford's vehicles as legitimate world class alternatives. As good as Ford cars may now be, NOBODY wants to buy a $50 car that may be nice - but also makes them feel like they're being treated cheaply. By contrast, Hyundai's (for the most part) continue to be cheaply-made cars - but buyers get the feeling Hyundai is giving buyers as much as they can for the price point rather than as little. And from a marketing perspective that's a HUGE difference.

The fact is that nobody at Ford probably predicted the kind of resurgence they've had - largely because very few probably believed "the secret" really was as simple as building more reliable, higher quality vehicles with a compelling value proposition. So, many details that represent the forefront of Ford's shortcomings today probably weren't even on the radar when 2011 GT500's electrical design was "green lighted". And with each new generation, refresh, or major redesign, it's likely to get better and better from the standpoint of things that were once overlooked because they just weren't paid attention to. But that doesn't change the fact that each car Ford continues to allow to come to market in the meantime - for as good as they continue to be overall - continue to offer fodder for both buyers and reviewers looking for a reason to NOT like Ford.

I mean, we'd all understand why Ford may not have $10B laying around to create an all-electric Mustang by 2012 (nor would anybody probably want them to). But very few people can understand why Ford would actually go through the effort of deleting core elements of its top-tier vehicle trim levels - especially over something as horsesh*t as a $30 camera. Even though it would have probably cost Ford considerably more to re-engineer an in-production vehicle to make it right, the fact of the matter is that Ford ought to be making these kinds of improvements and corrections - not so much for the sake of "improving" any particular vehicle but for the sake of protecting the growing value of the Ford brand as one who isn't willing to do its customers this kind of disservice over $50 (that it could have just as easily tacked-on to the sticker).

There must be a certain kind of mentality within the auto industry that exists nowhere else - because it wouldn't make sense to anybody anywhere else. It's the same logic that makes many dealers unable to help themselves from trying to screw a customer who just made a $60K purchase with $3K of profit out of another $50 - when the buyer is in the market to buy ANOTHER vehicle at the same time.. Hopefully, as Detroit becomes leaner and meaner, this will change too - especially with dealers being less relevant than they've ever been.

So - after sailing-off aboard the U.S.S. Tangent.... back to the issue of backup cameras.

Reflashing the head unit is probably the quickest and easiest path - but until it's something I could do by myself on my own, I'd rather not change it - or lose the GT500 Snake welcome screen. Hell, part of the price I paid was so I could get all the silly badges and logos that appeal to my inner 12 year-old. I'm certainly not looking for any additional ways to spend any MORE money - and though I'm loathe to add any additional piece of electronics that could only get in the way later, the Lock Pick is probably the route I'm likely to take - especially if it allows me to add a second video source that I could eventually turn into a forward camera for hitting apexes of turns and so forth.

Of course, all of this would be SO much simpler if Ford made accommodating a backup camera part of every vehicle design - including a mounting location in the (spoiler, badge, or wherever) with a punch-out that could otherwise simply be left in-place.

Archived