TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 and Beyond

Madlock

Since I have nothing better to do during the last few days of waiting until my GT500 arrives from Flat Rock, my thoughts have turned to the improvements I hope Ford will make to GT500 (or whatever its successor model will be) for 2012 and beyond.

There are two primary features I'd like to see Ford add to the GT500 to truly give it parity with the class of performance car whose backyard 2011 GT500 is capable of playing in.

A Proper Dual Clutch Option

I'm certainly not dismissing the connectedness of a conventional 6-speed manual gearbox - to many, it's an inextricable part of controlling the car and a large part of what makes driving a performance car so much fun. However, the fact of the matter is that automatic transmissions (or functional equivalents) have become so sophisticated and capable of outperforming a human shifter that many of the world's best cars have adopted them (with paddle/manumatic controls) as simply the state of the art for vehicles they bring to market as such.

I don't think it needs to be a binary either/or proposition. I'd like to see GT500 offer both options - to serve the future without discarding GT500's heritage to those who want to be faithful to it.

Launch Control

Like it or not, it's now commonplace. And even though it may serve to remove the driver one step further from the vehicle, it's a way for owners to experience and enjoy the maximum performance potential of a vehicle without necessarily having to develop world-class driving skills to do so.

Dynamic Suspension

With magnetic and variable dynamic fluids, there's little reason why the handling aspects of an SVTPP have to be an "either/or" option versus other vehicles that provide variable suspension configuration by virtue of these new classes of components. I'd have much preferred the $3,500 Performance Package to be an option I could largely enable or disable for the price - and allowing owners to still enjoy a more "daily driver" suspension setup when they prefer and tightening things up when it's track time.

No More Nickels and Dimes

At the $50K price point, there's simply no excuse for robbing the passenger seat of power controls and heating, failing to mount a backup camera in a non spoiler-dependent location, or making HID headlamps standard while using cheap conventional fog-lamps. Good God, Ford - add $150 to the base price and leave the good things in. Versions like the BOSS 302/LS or the $80K Parts Desk racer are fine for stripping-out every bit of unnecessary weight - and they don't stop at seat motors that only serve to piss customers off. They go whole hog because that's the reason for buying the car in the first place.

Trade On Brand Equity

GM got the idea when it created an option for owners to travel to GM to participate in the building of their Corvette engines. Even if not every GT500 owner would opt for such an experience, it would bring Ford closer parity with almost every other world maker in the non-vehicle aspects of adding to its brand value and meaning.

Yes, Mustang is a "muscle car" and not a true "sports car", but the line is blurring - and without a sports car to offer, there's no time like the present for Ford to use the exceptional quality of the vehicles it's making and the goodwill created by not needing a bailout (and competing at a disadvantage to companies that did).

Independent Rear Suspension

At this point, who really cares? Unless and until the live axle becomes the limiting factor to the rest of the vehicle, I've come to view the live axle as being neither inherently better nor worse, just different - especially with as much as Ford's handling engineers has been able to make of it. And as things stand, I'll choose in favor of simpler any day. Whether or not it matters in the future depends upon whether a live axle suddenly becomes less able to put power to the road or keep the back end in trim - and with the hardware and software Ford's wrapped around it, a live axle is just fine by me for the foreseeable future (though I'd highly doubt any successor platform would lack a full I.R.S. for the sake of platform flexibility).

B)

Launch Control

Like it or not, it's now commonplace. And even though it may serve to remove the driver one step further from the vehicle, it's a way for owners to experience and enjoy the maximum performance potential of a vehicle without necessarily having to develop world-class driving skills to do so.

At the $50K price point, there's simply no excuse for robbing the passenger seat of power controls and heating, failing to mount a backup camera in a non spoiler-dependent location, or making HID headlamps standard while using cheap conventional fog-lamps. Good God, Ford - add $150 to the base price and leave the good things in. Versions like the BOSS 302/LS or the $80K Parts Desk racer are fine for stripping-out every bit of unnecessary weight - and they don't stop at seat motors that only serve to piss customers off. They go whole hog because that's the reason for buying the car in the first place.

.[/indent]

+1

Launch control, heated as well as cooled, memory seats & power for the passenger seat, rear-view camera, homelink, & reverse seat striping for exterior black stripes (a silver car w/black stripes would have a silver stripe in the seats.) Also the ability to take delivery at AAI in Flatrock. would be my vote for improvements on the 2012. And of course kits available to retro fit the 10 & 11's

Since I have nothing better to do during the last few days of waiting until my GT500 arrives from Flat Rock, my thoughts have turned to the improvements I hope Ford will make to GT500 (or whatever its successor model will be) for 2012 and beyond.

There are two primary features I'd like to see Ford add to the GT500 to truly give it parity with the class of performance car whose backyard 2011 GT500 is capable of playing in.

A Proper Dual Clutch Option

I'm certainly not dismissing the connectedness of a conventional 6-speed manual gearbox - to many, it's an inextricable part of controlling the car and a large part of what makes driving a performance car so much fun. However, the fact of the matter is that automatic transmissions (or functional equivalents) have become so sophisticated and capable of outperforming a human shifter that many of the world's best cars have adopted them (with paddle/manumatic controls) as simply the state of the art for vehicles they bring to market as such.

I don't think it needs to be a binary either/or proposition. I'd like to see GT500 offer both options - to serve the future without discarding GT500's heritage to those who want to be faithful to it.

Launch Control

Dynamic Suspension

With magnetic and variable dynamic fluids, there's little reason why the handling aspects of an SVTPP have to be an "either/or" option versus other vehicles that provide variable suspension configuration by virtue of these new classes of components. I'd have much preferred the $3,500 Performance Package to be an option I could largely enable or disable for the price - and allowing owners to still enjoy a more "daily driver" suspension setup when they prefer and tightening things up when it's track time.

Trade On Brand Equity

GM got the idea when it created an option for owners to travel to GM to participate in the building of their Corvette engines. Even if not every GT500 owner would opt for such an experience, it would bring Ford closer parity with almost every other world maker in the non-vehicle aspects of adding to its brand value and meaning.

Yes, Mustang is a "muscle car" and not a true "sports car", but the line is blurring - and without a sports car to offer, there's no time like the present for Ford to use the exceptional quality of the vehicles it's making and the goodwill created by not needing a bailout (and competing at a disadvantage to companies that did).

Independent Rear Suspension

At this point, who really cares? Unless and until the live axle becomes the limiting factor to the rest of the vehicle, I've come to view the live axle as being neither inherently better nor worse, just different - especially with as much as Ford's handling engineers has been able to make of it. And as things stand, I'll choose in favor of simpler any day. Whether or not it matters in the future depends upon whether a live axle suddenly becomes less able to put power to the road or keep the back end in trim - and with the hardware and software Ford's wrapped around it, a live axle is just fine by me for the foreseeable future (though I'd highly doubt any successor platform would lack a full I.R.S. for the sake of platform flexibility).

All of these features sounds nice, but wouldn't they make the GT500 a $75,000 car? One of the reasons I bought the Shelby is because of it's "simplicity." if the shelby had all the stuff you mentioned it would be more like an Audi S line car of Mercedes AMG...both in capabilities and price point

Archived