TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HP and the 2010 Convertible

rba44

Hi All,

I am a novice when it comes to this stuff. My questions are how much HP is safe for a vert? Can you go as crazy as you can on a coupe? Also would it be wise to improve the suspension first?

will Putting 20" wheels front and back make the handling even worse? I would appreciate any input at all... I just don't want to make mods then regret I made them because the car becomes to hot to handle. Also any and all suggestions to get rid of or reduce that annoying wheel hop. This car will not be tracked to often.

Thanks

Does no one have any advise??????????????? Help please

im not a suspension guy,but my only comment is the Snake onlly came with 620 hp in a vert,and 750 in a coupe.That was in 2009,so maybe the imporved suspension in 2010 helped a bit.Ive seen an afetrmarket vert with a whipple etc, with a dyno at 750 at a car show.Since we dont have a roof,it might be unsafe to put that much torque on the suspension

im not a suspension guy,but my only comment is the Snake onlly came with 620 hp in a vert,and 750 in a coupe.That was in 2009,so maybe the imporved suspension in 2010 helped a bit.Ive seen an afetrmarket vert with a whipple etc, with a dyno at 750 at a car show.Since we dont have a roof,it might be unsafe to put that much torque on the suspension

It's not the suspension, it's the chassis twist. With the coupe, the roof adds alot of stiffness and the vert lacks that roof. Now the vert usually weighs more so is there chassis stiffeners added? A STB or additional under chassis aftermarket parts could be added to compensate.

Not sure how to answer the question about "how much HP is safe for a Convertible". I personally wouldn't hesitate to drop in a Whipple or Kenne Bell and be running 650-700hp at the crank, if not more. Regarding the 20" wheels & tires, everyone is going to probably have a different opinion about this subject. I had (2) sets of 20's on my GT and now have the 20" Alcoas on my GT500. You do loose some quality in the overall ride, but it doesn't bother me enough to go with a smaller size. I really like the look of 20's on our cars.

Thanks Guys... I also like the look o fthe 20" Alcoa's and along with the light bar these will be some of the first mods I do. There is a Shelby shop here in Ontario, and he says on his web site, haven't talked to him personally yet probably next spring... 605 for 2010 verts. Any how how hard is it to get rid of the rear end hop on these cars. Is it expensive? I would really like to get rid of that as well

Thanks again

Thanks Guys... I also like the look o fthe 20" Alcoa's and along with the light bar these will be some of the first mods I do. There is a Shelby shop here in Ontario, and he says on his web site, haven't talked to him personally yet probably next spring... 605 for 2010 verts. Any how how hard is it to get rid of the rear end hop on these cars. Is it expensive? I would really like to get rid of that as well

Thanks again

do a search on this forum--i know Roush has a good kit,but svereal others do as well

Best modification I ever did on my 03 Cobra Convertible was full length subframe connectors. The fact that you have a vert makes no difference as to how much horsepower you can make, it just means you have to do a bit more work to make the car as rigid as a coupe.

I miss my 03 vert- nothing beats top down crusing in a 500 plus horsepower car.

BTW- nice Shelby Convertible you have- love the color combo.

Best modification I ever did on my 03 Cobra Convertible was full length subframe connectors. The fact that you have a vert makes no difference as to how much horsepower you can make, it just means you have to do a bit more work to make the car as rigid as a coupe.

I miss my 03 vert- nothing beats top down crusing in a 500 plus horsepower car.

BTW- nice Shelby Convertible you have- love the color combo.

Thanks QuikSVT, I had ordered a 2011 Stirling Silver with Matt black stripes form my dealer for full MSRP he wouldn't budge, and in Canada that's almost 68,000 plus 13% tax. Then I walked into another dealer and he had this 2010 beauty sitting on his showroom floor. it has been indoors since it arrived in Sept. 09, and wouldn't you know it fully loaded and FORD family pricing 57,000 plus tax, canceled the silver one and never looked back...

I plan on moving slowly with the mods but I want to make sure I don't do anything that makes the car crazy to drive. Could you explain what this mod is. I really am a novice, but I have wanted a Shelby for 30 years. Any help is appreciated.

Archived