TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Griggs vs Shelby Suspension?

jacks1071

Hey guys,

Can anyone give me some good advice on the suspension options we have available?

Our vehicle will be a road car, it might see the track once per annum. I want it to handle well though, it needs to go around corners but at the sametime I don't want to lower the car and don't want it to be harsh handling since it will be used on the free-way a lot and as a Sunday driver.

Most people seem to rave about the Griggs setup - is it a big no-no to get a super snake and not run the Shelby suspension under it?

Is the Shelby suspension as good / better?

If someone who's driven/owned both can give me some feedback it would be appreciated.

In my opinion, Griggs has the best suspension set up for our cars. If you are only going to hit the track once a year, stick with the Super Snake. While the Griggs equipped cars will eat your lunch on corners, once a year isn't worth the money spent. The SS is no slouch but the GR setups are simply better.

Most people seem to rave about the Griggs setup - is it a big no-no to get a super snake and not run the Shelby suspension under it?

Is the Shelby suspension as good / better?

If someone who's driven/owned both can give me some feedback it would be appreciated.

Hi Mate,

1. Is it a big no no... well depends if your a purest or not, me i love my shelby SS and i love having the Griggs setup, if i sold the car i would sell it with all the orginal shelby gear in case someone wanted to turn it back to stock.

2. Is the shelby suspension as good.... No...sorry Mr S. But its not in the same league as Griggs. Its simply just not.

3. Comparisions... Night and Day difference, on track, on road you name it. The griggs setup i have the full ST40 plus Watts Link eats corners like you wouldnt believe, it also helps keep the car firmly planted whenever i need for takeoff. When i drove the SS pre Griggs, it was a tad scary with 725 hp and not much traction, now its as safe as a BMW (almost haha).

But, converting to the Griggs is not cheap.... The full cost of the gear is not cheap, then expect to add a fair amount more for the work to add it to the car, it seriously costs money.

If youre going to the track everynow and then its not that neccessary i agree.... but tell me again why i need 725 hp in the first place !!!!! hahaha none of this is necesary, we do these crazy things because we enjoy the car.

I just took my missus on 2300 km trip through the South Australian wineries in my car and we loved it, car was smooth and agile. My wife has a BMW and she is just as happy to ride along in the shelby.

But a 725hp SS is not the best car for zipping to the shops and general trips around town...i never take my car to the mall haha.

At the end of the day, each to their own....

Do what you want to do and enjoy the ride.

Me, im part of the Shelby family and the Griggs family and love it, and proud of both.

Cheers Mate

The shelby suspension is no slouch its not a full on race set-up like the griggs... If you only track it once a year I am sure you would not be able to drive the ssnake suspension (ford racing or eibach) to its limits. and pretty damn sure that if u use a Griggs you wouldn't be able to achieve its max potential once a year for 10 years lol Its about compromise you said you didn't want the full on race harsh ride... Both suspensions (actually all three) are going to make the "ride" stiffer, they will also lower the suspension (remember its a compromise) the Griggs will ride harsher than the ss susp but it will also handle better.. Set up right the SS one can achieve 1g lateral I think the full on griggs does 1.5 ish or so one is three times more $$ I own a SGT and use the ford racing susp with sub frame connectors and adjustable pan hard I track a few times a year and am totally happy.. Attend a bash,go to the track and talk to people that casually run their cars and see if they are happy with what they run.. Good luck!

You don't have to go crazy with a complete Griggs solution to experience the difference.

The biggest thing you can do that will make the biggest improvement and bang for the buck are as follows:

Torque Arm (eliminate the upper 3rd link)

Lower Control Arms and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (Correct the vehicle geometry)

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Rear Coilovers and Springs

Front Coilovers and Springs

Keep the stock ride height if you like or lower it.

The beauty in the Griggs system is the ability to build and grow as your needs change.

And the above will work perfectly on the street as well as the occasional track day......................

If you have any questions shoot me an email and I'd be happy to help you out.

Van

dvancollier@gmail.com

I just had my Griggs torque arm installed today. This was added to compliment my FRPP handling pack, Griggs LCAs w/axle brackets, and Griggs adjustable panhard bar. My initial impressions of the torque arm are as follows: very noticeable enhancement in traction; car feels more planted in high speed turns; and overall noise increase was not real noticeable in comparison to the adj UCA I had.

I added these Griggs components incrementally at Van's advice to compliment the FRPP handling pack. The handling pack was a huge upgrade, but it didn't help inadequacies of the live axle much. The rear bite and increase in traction with Griggs components have been huge and the rear end is much more predictable. As far as traction goes, there is now definite and noticeable rear end bite. I can squeeze the throttle hard in second and not break loose until I'm in the high rpm range on stock Goodyears. With just the FRPP components I'd squeeze the throttle, the ass end would raise up, and I'd be up in smoke in second gear before I had the throttle depressed halfway............big difference. The torque arm is the component that offers the greatest benefit. I will have the car out on the track Monday to test it out some more.

Also, NVH was big for me. All of the Griggs components combined with a one-piece DS have increased my NVH, but not to an intolerable level at all and I'm pretty sensitive to it. With just the addition of the torque arm today, I noticed no real difference in noise over the adj UCA. Notably, I also used Royal Purple 75-140 fluid.

I'd say the Griggs stuff is definitely worth it and you might as well go with the SS setup from the get go and save yourself money in the long run. With Griggs components you allow yourself the opportunity to harness the power these monsters have and make it a safer car to drive. I'd definitely go Griggs and don't look back. Van's great at not overselling you to accomplish what you're looking to do. Good luck.

Does anyone know if I can get the Super Snake package and delete their "standard" suspension upgrade so that I could fit the Griggs instead without wasting money on the bits I'm going to pull off?

I don't suppose Shelby would fit the Griggs stuff for me or is that a dumb question?

Whats everyone doing about fitting wider tyres in the rear?

Does anyone know if I can get the Super Snake package and delete their "standard" suspension upgrade so that I could fit the Griggs instead without wasting money on the bits I'm going to pull off?

I don't suppose Shelby would fit the Griggs stuff for me or is that a dumb question?

Don't know if SA will put the Griggs stuff on for you. They work for the customer and for $, so if that is what you wanted they would probably do it. But you might want to get it done by a shop that puts Griggs systems on.

As for the tires, there are several threads on widening your SS wheels and fitting larger tires. There is also a thread on GT-500 mods and tech about SA seriously considering making 11" Alcoas if that is what you want. To fir wider wheels and tires it is all about offset. I had my SS rears widened to 11.75" by weldcraft and am running a set of 305's at the moment. I got a good price on the 305's so that's why I have them. My next set will be 315 or 335's. The 305's fit w/o doing anything. Anything larger you have to remove the dust cover on the rear shocks which is no big deal. The 305's make a HUGE!!!!!! difference. It makes the car drivable(at least in 2nd gear). It is a must do for all 725 hp SS's. Weldcraft is the company that is widening the Alcoas. They have done several so you just need to tell them how wide to go and they know what to do.

BJ

Don't know if SA will put the Griggs stuff on for you. They work for the customer and for $, so if that is what you wanted they would probably do it. But you might want to get it done by a shop that puts Griggs systems on.

As for the tires, there are several threads on widening your SS wheels and fitting larger tires. There is also a thread on GT-500 mods and tech about SA seriously considering making 11" Alcoas if that is what you want. To fir wider wheels and tires it is all about offset. I had my SS rears widened to 11.75" by weldcraft and am running a set of 305's at the moment. I got a good price on the 305's so that's why I have them. My next set will be 315 or 335's. The 305's fit w/o doing anything. Anything larger you have to remove the dust cover on the rear shocks which is no big deal. The 305's make a HUGE!!!!!! difference. It makes the car drivable(at least in 2nd gear). It is a must do for all 725 hp SS's. Weldcraft is the company that is widening the Alcoas. They have done several so you just need to tell them how wide to go and they know what to do.

BJ

Hey Knownukes,

FYI. You are now a 800 HP SS!! But who's counting...... :hysterical:

VC

It looks like the suspension upgrade is an option for '10 Super Snake and I'm pretty sure its standard for the 07-09. You could definitely do the Shelby/Eibach suspension upgrade and then add Griggs torque arm, lower control arms with brackets, and adj panhard bar. The Shelby suspension doesn't address the issues those Griggs components address anyway. It would be like enhancing the FRPP handling pack like I did, instead of going with a full Griggs system. The full Griggs system out of the gate would be best if that's an option. If not, enhance it with the Griggs components I mentioned and that will be a huge improvement to the Shelby suspension.......it will definitely achieve the type of outcome you're looking for as you've described; whereas the Shelby/Eibach system standing alone will not.

You don't have to go crazy with a complete Griggs solution to experience the difference.

The biggest thing you can do that will make the biggest improvement and bang for the buck are as follows:

Lower Control Arms and Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (Correct the vehicle geometry)

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Rear Coilovers and Springs

Front Coilovers and Springs

Keep the stock ride height if you like or lower it.

The beauty in the Griggs system is the ability to build and grow as your needs change.

And the above will work perfectly on the street as well as the occasional track day......................

If you have any questions shoot me an email and I'd be happy to help you out.

Van

dvancollier@gmail.com

Hi Van,

To keep the costs down - could I run with the FRPP shocks and just fit:

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Can you cost up those parts or do I need to buy them directly from Griggs?

Thanks again!

BJ

BJ - Could you please add some pictures of the 305's on the 11.75's?

Thanks, Robert

Hi Van,

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Thanks again!

PM Sent. I can supply and price these parts for you.

Thanks

Van

Hi Van,

Adjustable Pan Hard Bar

Thanks again!

I see quite a few relocation brackets getting twisted. Are the Griggs stouter pieces?

van,

can u run 18" or 19" rims that are 11.5" wide in rear with a griggs rear end...torque arm, ect...?

you can't run long tube headers with a griggs ss setup can u?

I haven't run an 11.5" rear rim however I do have customers that have 11.5" rear rims and run just the torque arm so you can use a number of different portions of the rear suspension with different rim combinations.

I ran long tubes with my ST package and you can definitely run long tubes with an SS kit, no problem. Long tubes on an ST or TT or RT kit require manipulation of the header and steering shaft once the car is assembled and lower. Any size header works with SS. On an ST kit you'd have to look at the different headers available to the best fitting combination.

I see quite a few relocation brackets getting twisted. Are the Griggs stouter pieces?

The Griggs pieces are really designed for lateral G load and not a Drag Racing "shock and squat" load. That's why we are seeing so many failures. The Griggs pieces are stout however they were designed for a different application.

post-23682-019161500 1286040192_thumb.jpgpost-23682-096818900 1286040204_thumb.jpgpost-23682-025115600 1286040157_thumb.jpgpost-23682-056935300 1286040170_thumb.jpg

BJ - Could you please add some pictures of the 305's on the 11.75's?

Thanks, Robert

Robert, Here are the pix. The wheels were widened by Weldcraft to 11.75". The tires are 305/35 -20 Pirelli P-Zero's. They were fine before I put the 3.6LC S/C on the car. Now it is under tired again. The 335's are now a must and it is about that time. When I get them, I will let you know how much another 30mm makes.

BJ

post-23682-025115600 1286040157_thumb.jpg

post-23682-056935300 1286040170_thumb.jpg

post-23682-019161500 1286040192_thumb.jpg

post-23682-096818900 1286040204_thumb.jpg

Archived