TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 VINs Are Being Assigned

FordGeek

Ladies and gents,

I spoke with my dealer rep yesterday and he mentioned that there are now just shy of 10 Shelby VINs assigned in the "system". Now, I'm not sure what system that is (5 OH may be able to clear that up a bit), but this could very well be a good sign for us that have vehicles on order because we can slowly begin to see what our sequence numbers will look like...in other words, the order in which our cars will be produced. For those that don't know, the 17 character VINs tell you the following info about your vehicle:

1 = Country it was produced in (1 USA, 2 CAN)

2 = Motor Company

3 = Make

4 = Car line Code

5 = Car line Series

6 = Body Type

7 = Restraint System

8 = Engine Code

9 = Check Digit (most likely "X")

10 = Model Year

11 = Assembly Plant ( St.Therese)

12-17 100001 = Production Sequence

Once Job 1 is determined and vehicles are scheduled for production, the vehicles in the order banks will be assigned one of the 7000-10,000 or so Shelby VINs. This will very clearly tell us where we are in line. Again, I'm not an expert at this stuff so I encourage anyone in the forum to provide some clarity (if needed) around this process.

I think they will be the same as on the 06. Like here. Body code will be 88 for coupe and 89 for convertible and a 7 for 2007. Engine code?

1 United States

ZV Automotive Alliance International

H Vehicle Restraint System (F-air bags & active belts, H-air bags, front seat side mounted air bags & active belts)

T Passenger

85 Body code (80-coupe, 82-coupe GT, 84-convertible,

85-convertible GT)

H Engine code

2 Check digit or letter (used to verify that the VIN has been

correctly recorded)

6 2006

5 Assembly plant (5-Flat Rock)

100001 Consecutive unit number

Example: 1ZVHT85H265100001

Engine code for Shelby GT500's will be "S", as in Shelby.

Cars are NOT built in the same order as the VIN #'s, so knowing your VIN relative to another guy's VIN will not tell you which car is getting built first. Again, Ford's wacky allocation and scheduling system defies logic and intuition.

There are pilot cars already built for testing that have VIN #'s, so yes, there are some Shelby GT500's with VIN #'s out there.

Customer GT500 orders will not have a VIN # assigned to it until the order for that car has been pulled and scheduled for a build date. That is typically 2-3 weeks before the car gets built. If production starts in mid-June, then it will be late May or early June at the very soonest before anyone gets a VIN #. If you are #2 or #3 (et cetera) at your dealership, then it may be months (or many months) before you get your VIN #.

I think they will be the same as on the 06. Like here. Body code will be 88 for coupe and 89 for convertible and a 7 for 2007. Engine code?

Here's more specifically how the Shelby VIN will look.....

1 = Country where produced (United States)

ZV = Manufacturer's identifier (Ford)

H = Vehicle Restraint System (type of airbags and passive restraints used))

T = Type of vehicle (passenger car)

88 = Body code (88 = GT500 coupe, 89 = GT500 convertible)

S= Engine Code (GT500 specific)

X = Check digit (used to verify that the VIN has been correctly recorded, must be X or a number 0-9)

7 = Model Year (2007)

5 = Assembly plant (5-Flat Rock)

100001 = Consecutive unit number (typically starts with a "1")

All GT500's built for 2007 will have the exact same VIN # with the following exceptions: 6th & 7th digits will either be 88 or 89 for a coupe or vert. The 9th digit (check digit) will be an X or a number 0-9. The last 6 digits are the consecutive unit number. Worth noting - the last 6 digits will be intermingled with other Mustangs (V6's and GT's), so the GT500's will not all be consecutive.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Mar 27 2006, 12:00 PM) 6109[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Engine code for Shelby GT500's will be "S", as in Shelby.

Cars are NOT built in the same order as the VIN #'s, so knowing your VIN relative to another guy's VIN will not tell you which car is getting built first. Again, Ford's wacky allocation and scheduling system defies logic and intuition.

There are pilot cars already built for testing that have VIN #'s, so yes, there are some Shelby GT500's with VIN #'s out there.

Customer GT500 orders will not have a VIN # assigned to it until the order for that car has been pulled and scheduled for a build date. That is typically 2-3 weeks before the car gets built. If production starts in mid-June, then it will be late May or early June at the very soonest before anyone gets a VIN #. If you are #2 or #3 (et cetera) at your dealership, then it may be months (or many months) before you get your VIN #.

Five Oh,

Do you have any idea if SVT dealers will get build priority over non-SVT dealers. I just ordered mine from a very small non-SVT dealer in Colorado. Just want to know if I should expect delivery earlier or later.

Archived