TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tiffany Snake Faux Gas Cap NOT GT-500

Ford Racing Part # M-2301, "Snake Fake Fuel Cap" (as stated on the Ford Racing box) is being sold by several vendors. I bought one and the part is really nice. It has the Tiffany snake, not the Berg snake. It looks identical to the GT-500 cap but without the "GT-500". The finish is satin, not chrome like the SGT original fake fuel cap. Price is from $20-$30. Interesting that Ford Racing would make a part that was never original equipment on any Mustang. Looks nice and matches the silver stripes.

post-12928-062118300 1285230622_thumb.jpg

post-12928-062118300 1285230622_thumb.jpg

I could not agree more. This was the first change I made to my car within a month of buying it in October 2007. Everything you say is spot on. From my perspective, it should have been part of our cars' original set up. For me, the bright faux chrome of the original GT gas cap was just a bit much compared to the Tiffany Snake faux gas cap.

Jim

thanks for the info & pic.......looks like this will be my next upgrade :)

I was reading the post and realized I had one of these, if anyone is interested I have a brand new one still in plastic with original box and same part number. I purchased one when my BJ Faux Emblem faded out, I had it redone and still have the new snake cap. $22.00 bucks and I'll ship it free. 100% satisfaction guarenteed..............

GG

Ford Racing Part # M-2301, "Snake Fake Fuel Cap" (as stated on the Ford Racing box) is being sold by several vendors. I bought one and the part is really nice. It has the Tiffany snake, not the Berg snake. It looks identical to the GT-500 cap but without the "GT-500". The finish is satin, not chrome like the SGT original fake fuel cap. Price is from $20-$30. Interesting that Ford Racing would make a part that was never original equipment on any Mustang. Looks nice and matches the silver stripes.

Actually, that cap is OEM to a Mustang, it came on the Cobra Jet.

054.JPG

054.JPG

I was reading the post and realized I had one of these, if anyone is interested I have a brand new one still in plastic with original box and same part number. I purchased one when my BJ Faux Emblem faded out, I had it redone and still have the new snake cap. $22.00 bucks and I'll ship it free. 100% satisfaction guarenteed..............

GG

Is it still available?

PM sent

This has been been posted many times over the years and it's a fine alternative but not unique to our car as the "Berg Gas Cap" is.

It's important to keep in mind that that the snake on the "Berg Gas Cap" is the same one used in the 60's on some models and not something recently invented.

What's nice about the "Berg Gas Cap" is that it matches many of the STG unique items sold by SA that can be used to complete the car. From wheel caps, engine dress-up kit, headrests, dead peddle, floor mats, trunk-liner, etc. and again all are unique to the SGT.

The SGT is a an elegant simple and clean car that simplicity makes it, to me, the most beautiful late model Mustang ever made. And while I was a HUGE anti-snake person in the early days I've grown to like the complete set of items available because use of them, as part of a complete solution, remains true to the original simple elegant look of the car while it applies a historical Shelby emblem in a contemporary yet unique way.

IMHO, the "Tiffany Snake" is over used, over exposed, and synonymous with the GT500 and to me, with the missing "GT500" text, speaks more to what the car isn't rather than celebrate what the car is, and as such holds no interest to me, but your mileage my vary, and in the end it's your car, so have at it!

Examples:

IMG_0027_2.JPG

DSCN2130.JPG

IMG.JPG

IMG_0027_2.JPG

DSCN2130.JPG

IMG.JPG

If anyone wants one they are usually on ebay, have been for almost three years, and sometimes pretty inexpensive if you can get one at auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Snake-Rear-Gas-Cap-Emblem-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5e6a25a0QQitemZ130433033632QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

Below one is too much $$$ I think!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Cobra-Jet-Deck-Lid-Emblem-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19be97c1f8QQitemZ110571799032QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

There was also a matching keychain that would be cool but I don't see one anywhere. They were like the ones you see for the GT500 but without the GT500 like this cap. If I see them I'll post.

If anyone wants one they are usually on ebay, have been for almost three years, and sometimes pretty inexpensive if you can get one at auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Snake-Rear-Gas-Cap-Emblem-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5e6a25a0QQitemZ130433033632QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1182

Below one is too much $$$ I think!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-2009-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-Cobra-Jet-Deck-Lid-Emblem-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19be97c1f8QQitemZ110571799032QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

There was also a matching keychain that would be cool but I don't see one anywhere. They were like the ones you see for the GT500 but without the GT500 like this cap. If I see them I'll post.

I agree with everything you say here.....the tiffany snake is for GT500s, not our Shelby GTs........

So how about the Berg cap you like.......is that available anywhere?

I agree with everything you say here.....the tiffany snake is for GT500s, not our Shelby GTs........

It used to be available through the store but it was discontinued (like the headrest) several months ago. I ended up with the other one which looks better than the stock chrome GT piece.

I would call the store and VERIFY that they are not available and not go by the fact they are not on the store. Many restricted items, such as the SGT Supplement, are not on the store and never were so a call to confirm would be my first step.

BTW: Worse case I think I would use these, as I did on my steering wheel, to cover the "GT" until SA restocked the real deal so at least it would match the other items for sale.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=MU7+01&Category=Stripes+%26+Decals&subCategory=&CatKey=EMUSTANG

It's what I used for my steering wheel above using the Saleen cap as a basis.

This has been been posted many times over the years and it's a fine alternative but not unique to our car as the "Berg Gas Cap" is.

It's important to keep in mind that that the snake on the "Berg Gas Cap" is the same one used in the 60's on some models and not something recently invented.

What's nice about the "Berg Gas Cap" is that it matches many of the STG unique items sold by SA that can be used to complete the car. From wheel caps, engine dress-up kit, headrests, dead peddle, floor mats, trunk-liner, etc. and again all are unique to the SGT.

The SGT is a an elegant simple and clean car that simplicity makes it, to me, the most beautiful late model Mustang ever made. And while I was a HUGE anti-snake person in the early days I've grown to like the complete set of items available because use of them, as part of a complete solution, remains true to the original simple elegant look of the car while it applies a historical Shelby emblem in a contemporary yet unique way.

IMHO, the "Tiffany Snake" is over used, over exposed, and synonymous with the GT500 and to me, with the missing "GT500" text, speaks more to what the car isn't rather than celebrate what the car is, and as such holds no interest to me, but your mileage my vary, and in the end it's your car, so have at it!

Examples:

If memory serves correct the "Berg" style snake (or similar) only appeared on the seat belt buttons, horn pad center, and door panels on the 1969-70 Shelbys with the grill and quarter emblems being the "Tiffany" snake. The 1967-1968 Shelbys used the "Tiffany" snake on both the GT-350 and 500 models. The "Berg" snake did not come on the standard SGTs and was "after the fact" approved as the "SGT snake design". The Tiffany snake was not just on the GT-500s but many of the SVT products and has long been associated with Ford and / or Shelby performance vehicles. I know, in the mid to late 70's the Tiffany snake also appeared on some "less than exciting" Ford models in those bleak depressing days. The current faux gas caps are just an easy and in-expensive modification, and whether your car is kept stock with the GT emblem or we choose the after market snake caps, is just a matter of personal taste.

If memory serves correct the "Berg" style snake (or similar) only appeared on the seat belt buttons, horn pad center, and door panels on the 1969-70 Shelbys with the grill and quarter emblems being the "Tiffany" snake. The 1967-1968 Shelbys used the "Tiffany" snake on both the GT-350 and 500 models. The "Berg" snake did not come on the standard SGTs and was "after the fact" approved as the "SGT snake design". The Tiffany snake was not just on the GT-500s but many of the SVT products and has long been associated with Ford and / or Shelby performance vehicles. I know, in the mid to late 70's the Tiffany snake also appeared on some "less than exciting" Ford models in those bleak depressing days. The current faux gas caps are just an easy and in-expensive modification, and whether your car is kept stock with the GT emblem or we choose the after market snake caps, is just a matter of personal taste.

COMPLETELY AGREE ON ALL POINTS!

I've just given the rational for my "personal taste" and as I said "your mileage my vary"!

My only point of disagreement might be where you seem to say that because the "S" snake association was "after the fact" as if to imply that it has no greater legitimacy. If anything I think the opposite! There is MUCH history and it was the owners that debated and worked through different designs and options over a period of many months to come up with it pushing SAI to settle on something from which we could move forward with.

I don't want to restart that sometimes spirited debate, nor do I want to see us revisit that decision, but the "blessed" snake is the "S" snake for the SGT and not the "Tiffany" snake. Given that I just don't feel or see how the "Tiffany" snake has any legitimate place on an SGT at least no more than how it's been slapped on so many other cars. I guess you could argue the "Shelby" aspect but again given the blessing above I think that's a stretch.

The "S" snake as seen on the "Berg" gas cap and other items, and its later attachment to the SGT, is a part of the car's rich history, and the owner participation that brought that about, an important part of the car's heritage. The sheer number of items available for the SGT and with the "S" snake I think is hostage to that intent. The goal way back then was to have a sanctioned look that was clean and unique and stop the "Frankencar" trend of people that found there was no other choice than to mix and match items on their car.

I'll just say that when i am parked next to a GT500 at a car show the thoughtfully applied "S" snake items throughout the car makes, I THINK, a GREAT differentiator between the SGT and the GT500. From the gas cap to the floor mats it says the SGT is a different car with it's own personality and should be viewed and judged as such!

The SGT is a great car with its own heritage, one we should look to preserve, and NOT as it was said here in the early days, a "baby Shelby", a " GT500 wanna be", which I THINK the use of the Tiffany snake sans "GT500" screams when ever I see it on an SGT and personally makes me cringe.

But again, yes, it's a matter of personal taste!

Enjoy your car!

P.S. The "S" Snake also appeared on the 69-70 wheel caps

The "S" snake as seen on the "Berg" gas cap and other items, and its later attachment to the SGT, is a part of the car's rich history, and the owner participation that brought that about, an important part of the car's heritage.

Hi Jeff,

Hope all is well in Chicago. In the end, if comes down to what you like. I will say again my main complaint about the "S" snake: It has an overbite and that is, well, wrong! The Tiffany snake has had proper dental care and it shows. :hysterical:

Jim

Hi Jeff,

Hope all is well in Chicago. In the end, if comes down to what you like. I will say again my main complaint about the "S" snake: It has an overbite and that is, well, wrong! The Tiffany snake has had proper dental care and it shows. :hysterical:

Jim

Hey Jim!

Hummmm you have a good point! You got me!

Anyone interested in some nice "S" snake items cheap?

:-P

Oh hey, no longer in Chicago! New job brought me down to Arkansas! Looking forward to the milder winters for sure! :happy feet:

I would call the store and VERIFY that they are not available and not go by the fact they are not on the store. Many restricted items, such as the SGT Supplement, are not on the store and never were so a call to confirm would be my first step.

The Berg Snake Gas cap is still available but only by phone or email I dealt with Wendy Calito and she was terrific ! This is what she sent me.....

"The Shelby GT Trunk Lock Emblem (Faux Gas Cap) is $24.95 + Shipping for this I need the following:

CSM or Vin#

Name on our Registry

Address on our Registry"

This is my second one since numero uno was on the black Shelby and the white Shelby got a new one with all proper documentation.

Take Care

Andrew

The Berg Snake Gas cap is still available but only by phone or email I dealt with Wendy Calito and she was terrific ! This is what she sent me.....

"The Shelby GT Trunk Lock Emblem (Faux Gas Cap) is $24.95 + Shipping for this I need the following:

CSM or Vin#

Name on our Registry

Address on our Registry"

This is my second one since numero uno was on the black Shelby and the white Shelby got a new one with all proper documentation.

Take Care

Andrew

Thanks a call will be made on monday.

I've just given the rational for my "personal taste" and as I said "your mileage my vary"!

My only point of disagreement might be where you seem to say that because the "S" snake association was "after the fact" as if to imply that it has no greater legitimacy. If anything I think the opposite! There is MUCH history and it was the owners that debated and worked through different designs and options over a period of many months to come up with it pushing SAI to settle on something from which we could move forward with.

I don't want to restart that sometimes spirited debate, nor do I want to see us revisit that decision, but the "blessed" snake is the "S" snake for the SGT and not the "Tiffany" snake. Given that I just don't feel or see how the "Tiffany" snake has any legitimate place on an SGT at least no more than how it's been slapped on so many other cars. I guess you could argue the "Shelby" aspect but again given the blessing above I think that's a stretch.

The "S" snake as seen on the "Berg" gas cap and other items, and its later attachment to the SGT, is a part of the car's rich history, and the owner participation that brought that about, an important part of the car's heritage. The sheer number of items available for the SGT and with the "S" snake I think is hostage to that intent. The goal way back then was to have a sanctioned look that was clean and unique and stop the "Frankencar" trend of people that found there was no other choice than to mix and match items on their car.

I'll just say that when i am parked next to a GT500 at a car show the thoughtfully applied "S" snake items throughout the car makes, I THINK, a GREAT differentiator between the SGT and the GT500. From the gas cap to the floor mats it says the SGT is a different car with it's own personality and should be viewed and judged as such!

The SGT is a great car with its own heritage, one we should look to preserve, and NOT as it was said here in the early days, a "baby Shelby", a " GT500 wanna be", which I THINK the use of the Tiffany snake sans "GT500" screams when ever I see it on an SGT and personally makes me cringe.

But again, yes, it's a matter of personal taste!

Enjoy your car!

P.S. The "S" Snake also appeared on the 69-70 wheel caps

Sorry, did not mean to imply or suggest the Berg snake is anything BUT the official SAI "snake" of the SGT. Intent on the "response" post was to add a historical time line to the use of the various "snakes" that have appeared on Shelby and Ford performance vehicles. The addition of the Berg snake, after initial SGT production, was a nice touch by SAI to allow SGT buyers to personalize their cars. The initial post was to present (or re-present) an interesting part to TS members who may not know the Tiffany snake faux gas cap from Ford was available. Some like it stock, some do not.

Sorry, did not mean to imply or suggest the Berg snake is anything BUT the official SAI "snake" of the SGT. Intent on the "response" post was to add a historical time line to the use of the various "snakes" that have appeared on Shelby and Ford performance vehicles. The addition of the Berg snake, after initial SGT production, was a nice touch by SAI to allow SGT buyers to personalize their cars. The initial post was to present (or re-present) an interesting part to TS members who may not know the Tiffany snake faux gas cap from Ford was available. Some like it stock, some do not.

PS The wheel centers for the 1969-70 Shelbys were chrome rimmed, the center was black with a gold Tiffany snake. Don't recall the "S" snake being on the exterior of any 60's Shelbys.

PS The wheel centers for the 1969-70 Shelbys were chrome rimmed, the center was black with a gold Tiffany snake. Don't recall the "S" snake being on the exterior of any 60's Shelbys.

I have no clue, I only went by what Mustang's Unlimited says they're used for in their catalog, so take it for what it's worth.

I think your last post explains your point better so no worries!

Examples:

I have to agree with Jeff. I think if your going to put a snake on the SGT it should be the "S' snake as used on the "Berg Faux Gas Cap" This was done because many of us on the forum at the time requested Shelby do something different for the SGT to set it apart and give it some unique badging. Several forum members submitted designs and the Berg design stood out as the most popular. We asked for it and Amy approved and delivered it. So when I think of a snake for the SGT it has to be this one. The Tiffany cobra is for the GT500, IMHO. Dave

Archived