TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Discolored Stripes

I am one of the guys with the stripe problem. It just seems anytime the car is left outside of the garage and not moved for 3 days, then with the dew falling on it, then the discoloration begins. Now before you say why did I leave it outside, this car is my daily driver. I have a 68 show car so I bought my Shelby to drive it. I have read back and forth about painting the stripes, but they will not match, or getting another set of stripes, and then the same thing will happen. Is Shelby not willing to do something for us?

If we are spending the money for the Shelby, why can't we get the support on what I considered a defect in the design. It is normally the "clear coat" in paint that stops the UV rays and such. So if it was know from the beginning this would happen, then I am truly disappointed in Shelby American.

Has anyone gotten the painting of the stripes done. I called one place and they quoted $1500. No thanks, I will pull them off first. Any suggestions or help?

Mustang1968

I am one of the guys with the stripe problem. It just seems anytime the car is left outside of the garage and not moved for 3 days, then with the dew falling on it, then the discoloration begins. Now before you say why did I leave it outside, this car is my daily driver. I have a 68 show car so I bought my Shelby to drive it. I have read back and forth about painting the stripes, but they will not match, or getting another set of stripes, and then the same thing will happen. Is Shelby not willing to do something for us?

If we are spending the money for the Shelby, why can't we get the support on what I considered a defect in the design. It is normally the "clear coat" in paint that stops the UV rays and such. So if it was know from the beginning this would happen, then I am truly disappointed in Shelby American.

Has anyone gotten the painting of the stripes done. I called one place and they quoted $1500. No thanks, I will pull them off first. Any suggestions or help?

Mustang1968

I agree that the stripe quality is a huge disappointment on our cars. There are many posts on here concerning the stripe issue and how the replacement stripes are a better quality. I opted to remove my stripes and wait to see how I like it that way. My car is a black car with tan interior so I always thought the stripes and the interior clashed. I will run without stripes for a while and if I decide to put stripes back on, mine will be painted on, I think the price they gave you to paint your stripes may be on the high side, unless they are planning to paint your stripes and then reclear the whole car to "bury" the stripes and not leave a tape edge. You might want to check a price with a couple other shops. Good luck!

Mustang 1968:

My SGT is also my daily driver and must endure the weather like that of many other daily drivers. I, too had the stripes problems. I went through 2.5 sets of stripes (The 0.5 came about when the dealer only replaced the hood scoop and hood stripes). I finally got tired of the wait for replacement stripes and the length of time the car spent at the dealership (generally several weeks) to actually have the stripes taken off and replaced. My stripes are now painted on and they look great. The painted stripes exactly matched the colors and sparkle of the original stripes and the one aspect of my SGT that was a problem, is a problem no longer. Yes, it cost me to do it, but the dis-satisfaction with the original stripes and the delays in getting it fixed are no longer an issue. Now I can worry about important things, like what kind of supercharger to put on the car, roots or centrifical???

Bob

4.6 SHLB

&

57 AGIN

I had mine restriped by the guy who lettered my race cars for years, he uses a super high quality product and it only cost me around 300.00. This was a short cut I took because I had more important things to do than sit around and wait for a dealer to install the stripes 2-3 times. It's been 3 years now and they still look brand new.

I agree that the stripe quality is a huge disappointment on our cars. There are many posts on here concerning the stripe issue and how the replacement stripes are a better quality. I opted to remove my stripes and wait to see how I like it that way. My car is a black car with tan interior so I always thought the stripes and the interior clashed. I will run without stripes for a while and if I decide to put stripes back on, mine will be painted on, I think the price they gave you to paint your stripes may be on the high side, unless they are planning to paint your stripes and then reclear the whole car to "bury" the stripes and not leave a tape edge. You might want to check a price with a couple other shops. Good luck!

Nice!! I'd like to see a pic of a tan interior SGT with no stripes, I too have the tan interior.

I love my car more than any other I've ever had. I can't believe I own a real Shelby Mustang! After two years, it still gives me goosebumps to see it sitting there, or to drive even my normally aspirated engine. As a whole, the car is perfect. The parts that make it up, however, are very disappointing. The hood pin lanyards have been replaced twice, my exhaust tips rust constantly, the hood scoop was warped, my stripes (oddly only on the back bumper) are discolored, the paint has peeled right off my grille horse emblem, and I've had issues with several of the Shelby aftermarket parts I've purchased for my car. And for some reason, I still love it! I think the Shelby faithful are willing to overlook more than your typical car owner would ever put up with. I checked with Shelby about replacing just the stripes on my rear bumper, but they said they were only under warranty for 1 yr. or 12k miles. That warranty seems reasonable, but it is still disappointing that they didn't use better quality parts.

I still have my original stripes on the roof, trunk and rear bumper and they still look good.

Granted I probably wax the heck out of the car and stripes but mine is a DD.

To the OP, how often was the car waxed?

I have used the show car products, clay bar, cleaner, wax and shield. Only about 3 times in 2 years.

Ok, the hood scope has no discoloration. It still has a high gloss shine to it. So my question is ......Are the stripes coming from Ford, and Shelby uses their own for the scoop, or vice versa. Someone is using two different manufactors it looks like.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I don't want to order from one source, when I should be ordering from another.

thx

if you want to stay with the vinyl stripes do what Storm did dont mess with Shelby go to a 3rd party and have them cut you a stripe ki they should give you a 5 year warranty for the new stripes . this has been ongoing problem from git go with the stripes . and it seems like Shelby doesn't give a hoot about it . and that's a shame

i have a 07 black SGT and they still look OK but are starting to deteriorate i plan on painting them on this winter .

JIM

Ok, the hood scope has no discoloration. It still has a high gloss shine to it. So my question is ......Are the stripes coming from Ford, and Shelby uses their own for the scoop, or vice versa. Someone is using two different manufactors it looks like.

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I don't want to order from one source, when I should be ordering from another.

thx

The scoop is painted with the exception of the black, white, blue, or orange stripe down the center. The stripes elsewhere are made by Orcal.

I have been f ing around with getting mine replaced since July. SA sent ones for the hood but not the roof or trunk. Apparently they want pictures (even though I thought he already sent them) is what the dealer is saying, for the roof and the deck lid replacement, when the dealer even calls back. I think my dealer is in no hurry to attempt this job. I did call SA and they sent the stripe for the hood to the dealer as its hard to dipute needing that (Ford makes the decision, not SA as I understand) as the dang corrosion is an issue under my hood pins. So afetr they change out the hood stripes its gonna look like crap as the roof and deck lid have those stupid imbedded grey spots/blotches all over them. And they do not have any rivets for the scoop according to the body shop manager. I can pay to have a competent shop fix them myself, but seriously why should I? I did not f up the originals and there is a warranty supposedly. would I buy the car again hell yes, does this issue suck ass, indeed yes. Is it SA's fault...hell no. I am patient but this is disappointing. And the fact that the GT350 comes with vynil stripes is ludacris IMO. Do the SS and/or KR's have stripe problems? I dont get why only these SGTs seem to have the problem. Mine are blotchy and discolored and my car is garage kept and very well waxed. It would be nice if Ford ok'd the stripes to get replaced no questions asked. Or if SA would paint them on our SGT's like they will do for the 4k on the GT350. Although thats a steep price I have to say. I am frustrated with the piss poor service I have recieved from the dealer on this so far after my car sat outside (it was filthy whenI picked it up) at the dealer for almost a month and nothing happened. I mean WTF they have the CSM and vin and how long does it take to respray a hood... I am about ready to tell them whats going to happen. I called SA to verify the stripes and they did what they were asked. Sad and disappointing. Oh well I'll probably put it into a tree at 90 mph anyway....

Wow..where to start?!?!

I won't argue the wisdom of vinyl stripes vs. painted stripes on cars. I'm sure there is pro and con and en economic reason for the move to vinyl by most manufacturers. I looked this weekend at a Challenger and a Camaro and both had factory vinyl stripes. So let's just say it is what it is. So given then let's look closer.

First it's important to note that all Mustangs, Ford or Shelby come with vinyl stripes, GT500, the new BOSS 302, all of them. Second, if you look at the web sites of ORCAL or 3M, two of the major vinyl stripe vendors, they all provide some indication of useful life and a warranty period with notes on the longevity given different environmental conditions. Typically these expected life, with the exception of environmental issues, is anywhere from 5-10 years so if you intend to keep your car for 20 years, and you use it as a daily driver, wash it often, and keep it outside, you can expect to swap out your stripes 2-3 times during that period. Simple as that. Right or wrong, bad or what, it's just the nature of them.

Now throw in the environmental stuff such as this warning from the maker of the SGT stripes:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42158-sgt-stripe-care-warning/

You now have some serious things to consider when owning a car with vinyl stripes. For example you can't let it rain on the car, especially one already dirty, and then let it sit in the hot sun as the chemicals in the air get more and more concentrated as the water evaporates later eating into the coating. Vinyl stripes are never going to be as strong as painted coated with clear etc., they just aren't.

Add to this the fact that the vinyl stripes on the 07's were not as high a quality as they 08's so they have even more issues and are even more susceptible to this but even they were made to last and warranted for, according to ORCAL, at least 5 years and usually last much more.

When it comes to dealers there are a few things that make life miserable for all. First the process and the approvals. This can be a long process due to missing or incomplete paperwork, pictures, etc. It's a pain for a dealer that has other things to do so it slips through the cracks as one of those "I'll do it tomorrow things". Then there is the labor rate and expertise. The amount of money that Ford pays a dealer to replace the stripes, to some dealers, doesn't cover the cost. Usually the dealer has to contract this work out and I've heard it said that a dealer can loose money on this especially when you add in the front loading costs of just getting the things in. The next hurdle is LIABILITY! If the dealer, or the dealer's contractor, installs the stripes incorrectly or they are damaged while installing (they get ONE SET), the replacement stripes are on their dime! They need to pay retail to SA for a replacement and these are $$$. So you might expect that a dealer might be hesitant to do this and hope you go away.

Now if you take ALL this into consideration what should you do? First you need to ask yourself if you want to be "right" or have stripes done right. if you want to argue and fight to get perfect stripes from Ford through your dealer then have at it and I wish you luck and much success. If on the other hand you just want to get it done then read on.

In my case I filed a claim and helped the dealer through the process. I told the dealer I would take the stripes to a shop of MY choosing and have that shop bill back to the dealer the labor rate and I would pay anything beyond that. I would also agree to hold them harmless and be responsible for the result in other words file it and forget it.

Ford would only give me stripes for the hood and rear deck so not wanting to have stripes that no longer matched, and wanting to have the entire car redone, I picked the finest quality stripes I could find and hand a PROFESSIONAL auto-graphics firm cut me all new stripes for install. I sold the stripes I got from Ford to another Team Shelby member that had been denied coverage and only had some small issues. The combination of the Ford labor $$$ and the sale of the SA stripes meant I had to pay $275 or so out of pocket to redo the entire car which was worth it to me.

Now you can work out the economics however you like but the key here is to use the best company you can find for material and installation. ESPECIALLY so you don't get the infamous 1.5" gap in the roof and hood that happens all too often rather than 1" etc. then call it a day, stop the frustration, and enjoy your car.

For more information, hints, tips, and inexperienced installation horror stories see:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37527-the-stripes-thread/

Good luck!

#471, I waited 13 weeks to get stripes for the hood and roof only, they wouldn't do my trunk or bumpers, They finally came and the stripe guys followed the old lines on the hood and the center gap got messed up so now I'm still waiting to see what will happen next. I did get a new grill and hood scoop also, turned out the hood scoop came without any rivet holes in it so they are sending a different one. I'm trying to get them to paint the hood stripes as they can't leave it this way. They might have the car for the winter now, who knows.

#471, I waited 13 weeks to get stripes for the hood and roof only, they wouldn't do my trunk or bumpers, They finally came and the stripe guys followed the old lines on the hood and the center gap got messed up so now I'm still waiting to see what will happen next. I did get a new grill and hood scoop also, turned out the hood scoop came without any rivet holes in it so they are sending a different one. I'm trying to get them to paint the hood stripes as they can't leave it this way. They might have the car for the winter now, who knows.

Awww...yes! The center gap!

#1 issue with replaced stripes!

You need to tell the installer... 1" ALL THE WAY DOWN! SAY IT WITH ME...1" ALL THE WAY DOWN!

I hear you Jeff. I am ok with the vynil stripes, but not the blotches.

I have some pretty extensive contacts here in Seattle as my buddy works at a pretty signifigant shop that is atatched to an insane collection of cars (like the number 4 vintage Ferrari F-1 car in that Shell commercial and a couple of real vintage Cobras with about 50 other crazy cars thrown in for good measure) and he was a former tech at Ferrari of Seattle. I have approached a stripe shop already that my friend reccomended, so if the dealer wants to give me the dough after they fix the hood paint or have the hood paint fixed at the same shop thats great with me. I am sure that the paint shop that the Ferraris go to could do a good job. But that has not been discussed with the dealer yet.

In the end I have the resources to handle it myself, and that may be what happens, but I am attempting to get what I paid for already first.

The point is not getting it done, the point is that the car was warranteed and the stripes only lasted 2.5 years before the issue blotched up.

It in no way effects the enjoyment I get from the car as I am more of a driver than a polisher.

But I do wish it was easier to get rectified. It is a puzzle that I can solve pretty easy myself, but adding in the paint work, I'd rather have Ford do it. I had no idea my hood under the plates were corroding until I took a look under them.

I think that replacing all the stripes on the 07 cars correctly, if needed, is not a lot to ask.

:shift:

Well, I am not alone :hysterical:

I had a shop I trusted look at painting them on and the guy actually suggested that the vynil is better as it does not chip up like paint, but said that the blotches on theoriginals was not good and that they have material that does not do this.

I hear you Jeff. I am ok with the vynil stripes, but not the blotches.

I have some pretty extensive contacts here in Seattle as my buddy works at a pretty signifigant shop that is atatched to an insane collection of cars (like the number 4 vintage Ferrari F-1 car in that Shell commercial and a couple of real vintage Cobras with about 50 other crazy cars thrown in for good measure) and he was a former tech at Ferrari of Seattle. I have approached a stripe shop already that my friend reccomended, so if the dealer wants to give me the dough after they fix the hood paint or have the hood paint fixed at the same shop thats great with me. I am sure that the paint shop that the Ferraris go to could do a good job. But that has not been discussed with the dealer yet.

In the end I have the resources to handle it myself, and that may be what happens, but I am attempting to get what I paid for already first.

The point is not getting it done, the point is that the car was warranteed and the stripes only lasted 2.5 years before the issue blotched up.

It in no way effects the enjoyment I get from the car as I am more of a driver than a polisher.

But I do wish it was easier to get rectified. It is a puzzle that I can solve pretty easy myself, but adding in the paint work, I'd rather have Ford do it. I had no idea my hood under the plates were corroding until I took a look under them.

I think that replacing all the stripes on the 07 cars correctly, if needed, is not a lot to ask.

:shift:

Understand completely!

Good luck!

Jeffs here too,

I didn't want to say anything negative yet at this point but the installer claimed he followed the old wax line on the outside. Like you said, one inch gap please!! I wanted to change the oil and put the car in storage at the end of october, that is what is the worst thing now as I know this is going to get drug out into winter. You know, you read other posts and try to get things figured out ahead of time and then it still turns out bad sometimes.

Well, thank you all for posting. Sad part is with all this going on it would seem like we would have had someone from SA post some recommendations. I know that the stripe on the hood scope is different from the other stripes because it is not discoloring any. Like all of you, I will save and spend the money on my car, because yes, I still love to drive my Shelby.

If anyone else has anymore ideas please let all of us know.

Mustang1968

Jeffs here too,

I didn't want to say anything negative yet at this point but the installer claimed he followed the old wax line on the outside. Like you said, one inch gap please!! I wanted to change the oil and put the car in storage at the end of october, that is what is the worst thing now as I know this is going to get drug out into winter. You know, you read other posts and try to get things figured out ahead of time and then it still turns out bad sometimes.

SAME thing happened to me!

In fact I ended up getting in a snow storm on the way back from the dealer after getting my stripes replaced for the 3rd time!!!

I also call BS on the "wax line" first off it means they didn't prep the hood properly if that's the case and I don't care about the "outside line" it's the 1" GAP that matters. :finger:

Well..good luck!

Well, thank you all for posting. Sad part is with all this going on it would seem like we would have had someone from SA post some recommendations. I know that the stripe on the hood scope is different from the other stripes because it is not discoloring any. Like all of you, I will save and spend the money on my car, because yes, I still love to drive my Shelby.

If anyone else has anymore ideas please let all of us know.

Mustang1968

Please see my note above.

The hood scoop is PAINTED silver with a single small 1" strip down the center to match the car's color.

Please see my note above.

The hood scoop is PAINTED silver with a single small 1" strip down the center to match the car's color.

Unless your dealer forgets to put that part on before riveting...

Jer

stripeless.jpg

stripeless.jpg

So I made some progress, as the dealer sends the stripes out anyway, they are now saying that they can do the paintwork and that the Ferrari approved shop here in Seattle can do the stripes, and they will pay the same amount that they would have paid thier stripe guy, so I think I am going to contact another vendor and just order a complete set from them and sell the hood and rear trunk ones on TS. I am going to remove and replace the scoop and hood plates myself....as that way I know it will be done right (I hope, haha). It takes a steady hand to drill out those rivets...:hysterical:

So I made some progress, as the dealer sends the stripes out anyway, they are now saying that they can do the paintwork and that the Ferrari approved shop here in Seattle can do the stripes, and they will pay the same amount that they would have paid thier stripe guy, so I think I am going to contact another vendor and just order a complete set from them and sell the hood and rear trunk ones on TS. I am going to remove and replace the scoop and hood plates myself....as that way I know it will be done right (I hope, haha). It takes a steady hand to drill out those rivets...:hysterical:

Good luck and keep us updated!

Does this vendor guarantee the stripes for any amount of time ? I think it's ridiculous to have to replace the stripes every 2 or 3 years. Mine look so bad...it's really embarrassing. I'd like to buy some and have the dealer put them on, but I want some stripes that are going to last at LEAST 5 years.

Archived