TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Workmanship

vbshelbygt

Ok so I just need to ask!!!

I have have a lot of mustangs and I am a little disappointed with the workmanship of my Shelby gt. I just sold a mint Mach 1 to move up to a Shelby and can't be leave the workmanship. The paint work on the scoop and how the scoop if mounted to the hood is poor. The way the grill was cut out to fit the new grill is poor but they will sell you a new grill to clean things up. The hood pins were drilled and they leave raw metal why not touch it up. I am glad I did not pay the 44k for the car like the guy did who I got it from. The car drives great and only has 200 miles but come on Shelby you can do better than that!

I have have a lot of mustangs and I am a little disappointed with the workmanship of my Shelby gt. I just sold a mint Mach 1 to move up to a Shelby and can't be leave the workmanship. The paint work on the scoop and how the scoop if mounted to the hood is poor. The way the grill was cut out to fit the new grill is poor but they will sell you a new grill to clean things up. The hood pins were drilled and they leave raw metal why not touch it up. I am glad I did not pay the 44k for the car like the guy did who I got it from. The car drives great and only has 200 miles but come on Shelby you can do better than that!

Agree on the hood and scoop issues. Check out the hood/scoop forum. You should be able to get it fixed. The new scoop stripes are avaiable. Check with you local Ford Dealer to help get it done. I have been in process of gettig mine fixed for over a year.

First repair Parts came in, wrong scoop kit. New kit arrives,( I looked them over myself) no one in my area to do the work. So I had to find a repair shop (I did through a fellow TS member in Tucson). Go to my dealer to arranged repair with shop, all ready to go, on the day of repair, no parts. Ford Racing or Shelby (don't really know) calls and wants the parts back due to and I quote " the dealer had the parts to long so we requested them returned", so customer service for me is still not good. Took 4 to 6 months to even get any action with me and my dealer pushing it. 3 to 4 months more to get the wrong scoop sent and returned, had the right one in another 2 to 3 months and 2 to 4 weeks trying to find a shop. Day before I go to get repairs, Ford Racng /Shelby made the dealer return parts now, or pay for the parts. So another request is in, waiting to re-schedule my fix.

Long story short, you have to be Patient and persistant. Other than this no other warranty issues. I am going to have my hood repainted due to many flaws in the paint, from the supplier Shelby used. Dust specs, bubbles in the clear, so not a good finish, fairly poor, rest of the car is good.

Love my SGT, so if this is the only issue, no big deal. TS group is great, and everything else is made up by the thrill of driving and owning my SGT. :shift:

Have fun.

Agree on the hood and scoop issues. Check out the hood/scoop forum. You should be able to get it fixed. The new scoop stripes are avaiable. Check with you local Ford Dealer to help get it done. I have been in process of gettig mine fixed for over a year.

First repair Parts came in, wrong scoop kit. New kit arrives,( I looked them over myself) no one in my area to do the work. So I had to find a repair shop (I did through a fellow TS member in Tucson). Go to my dealer to arranged repair with shop, all ready to go, on the day of repair, no parts. Ford Racing or Shelby (don't really know) calls and wants the parts back due to and I quote " the dealer had the parts to long so we requested them returned", so customer service for me is still not good. Took 4 to 6 moths to even get any action with me and my dealer pushing it. 3 to 4 months more to get the wrong scoop sent and returned, had the right one in another 2 to 3 months and 2 to 4 weeks trying to find a shop. Day before I go to get repairs, Ford Racng /Shelby made the dealer return parts now, or pay for the parts. So another request is in, waiting to re-schedule my fix.

Long story short, you have to be Patient and persistant. Other than this no other warranty issues. I am going to have my hood repainted due to many flaws in the paint, from the supplier Shelby used. Dust specs, bubbles in the clear, so not a good finish, fairly poor, rest of the car is good.

Love my SGT, so if this is the only issue, no big deal. TS group is great, and everything else is made up by the thrill of driving and owning my SGT. :shift:

Have fun.

Thanks for the info I just feel like they can do much better for what they are charging people.

Thanks for the info I just feel like they can do much better for what they are charging people.

I agree. Shelby has improved. The first 2007 models had issues as first ones sometimes do. It is the warranty side that for me has been very slow and clumsy. Other than that, love it.

As Jeffishereto mentioned, there are lots of topics that have really good information. You can use the search to find most anyhing on the site. Most TS members if you need specifics are good are replying back to a message if needed. So have fun, enjoy the ride. Nice you were able to pick up an SGT at a great price.

Drive it like you stole it! :shift:

Please check out the warranty info in the SGT Tech and Mod area where you will also find extensive years worth posts on these and other topics by using the search function..

I know all about the search function on the form I was just saying that you would think they would of done a better job for what you pay. I have fixed everythin my self thanks

I got News for you........SAI was not charging $44K for the Cars, some people paid More. It was the Dealers that Charged all that Money with ADM's (Additional Dealer Markup). The $44K is about $10K over MSRP. You should have seen what the Dealers did with the KR's when they hit the Show Rooms. With MSRP's of $54K, Dealers were getting over $100K for them.

the cost is part of it, but you should have pride in your work ! if you drill hole in the hood, clean up the holes and paint them! the replacement hood scoop is still unsat and so are the stripes. so when you hear on barrett jackson that shelby is 1st class, you gotta wonder.

That's what I am saying. I was just a little blown away how things were done. I do love the car and I know it can be done much better.

Also, you are talking about building Thousands of Cars in a mater of a few Months in a small building with a hand full of People,...... I think they did a great job considering. The Holes drilled in the Hood for the Pins, the Hood is Aluminum so it really isn't going to rust. Does it look bad, a little bit, BUT, if they had taken some touch up paint and touched up the Holes, some people will be complaining that the Brush Marks looks bad. All things considered, it's a great Car.

Also, you are talking about building Thousands of Cars in a mater of a few Months in a small building with a hand full of People,...... I think they did a great job considering. The Holes drilled in the Hood for the Pins, the Hood is Aluminum so it really isn't going to rust. Does it look bad, a little bit, BUT, if they had taken some touch up paint and touched up the Holes, some people will be complaining that the Brush Marks looks bad. All things considered, it's a great Car.

The first thing I thought of was paint chipping off from contact with the pins.

You can't win!

A major correction here needs a response as it totally incorrect. While aluminum doesn't rust, galvanic corrosion is a MAJOR problem with the SGT hoods. You see, aluminum ads steel do not mix well and causes major "rusting" or corrosion problems because of the steel hood pin screws. This has been discussed many times here. My hood was repainted because of this - along with many others here. Aluminum does corrode my friend! You can call it whatever you like, but they corrode due to dissimilar metals being in contact, and, aluminum will corrode over time if not treated or painted properly.

post-26281-031497300 1285217865_thumb.jpg

post-26281-031497300 1285217865_thumb.jpg

A major correction here needs a response as it totally incorrect. While aluminum doesn't rust, galvanic corrosion is a MAJOR problem with the SGT hoods. You see, aluminum ads steel do not mix well and causes major "rusting" or corrosion problems because of the steel hood pin screws. This has been discussed many times here. My hood was repainted because of this - along with many others here. Aluminum does corrode my friend! You can call it whatever you like, but they corrode due to dissimilar metals being in contact, and, aluminum will corrode over time if not treated or painted properly.

Thanks you!

I do enjoy my car it looks great in my garage next to my KR. I love them both

Archived