TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about the need for a tune

terry gt500

I don't mean for this to be a dumb question...

I have put lots of aftermarket parts on cars before and never got a tune and everything seemed fine....headers, TB, intake, etc. I am sure it would have been better with a tune but honestly the cars ran great ( 03 z06 and 03 cobra). I am thinking of getting a smaller pulley for my 10 gt500 and am wondering if not loading a tune is a bad idea. Will I see results but just not as much as I otherwise would or will the car actually run poorly?

I am sure there are others here who run mods without tunes?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting question and I'm sure you're not the only one wondering this. I too have modded cars without a tune. I put headers, intake, and throttle body on my 02 z06 and it ran great and had awesome power without a tune. I ended getting it tuned because of the check engine light on all the time (no cats). After the tune I had noticeably more snap but I can't say it was necessary at all. These cars are probAbly more computer controlled than back then so maybe it's more of a necessity?

The Jan 2010 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords mag dyno tested VMP's pulley and tunes separately and together. The pulley alone added 18 hp, adding the tune added about 27 more. The stock engine computer and sensors have a wide range of automatic adjustment, according to articles on VMP's website. Four psi of extra boost is well within the stock program's tolerance. I added their pulley and tune to my Shelby a week ago and am happy with them. Their pulley tool made the swap easy. The hardest part was compressing the belt tensioner to get the belt off. Standing on a bar attached to the tensioner did not even budge it. Had to pull as hard as I could on the belt while standing on the bar to get it off.

Archived