TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A Plethora of Shelby GTs For Sale

Karashemshek

Recently, it seems there have been a whole lot of Shelby GTs For Sale at cringe worthy prices

What happens when the selling stops. Will the new owners, who are really getting some great deals, refuse to sell like many of us "Die Hards"?

Will this cause a value appreciation of our Shelby GTs?

Just wondering

Not sure what the big deal is or what your point is.

I have had the pleasure of driving my car for almost 4 years and intend to keep it MANY more so I feel bad for those that don't drive theirs or have lost 4 years of fun you can't get back.

I didn't buy the car as an investment so honestly I could care less about the value to someone else, only to me. The Shelby's of the 60's are $$$ because they are rare. No one knew then what the potential value was. In our case, and the GT500, there are tens of thousands, and many in showroom condition! It will take 30-40 years before I think we'll see any real appreciation, and while I might be wrong, I'll be too old to give a $#@! one way or the other.

In other words I could care less.

People are selling their toys to feed their families. Don't worry about what it'll be worth. You bought it to enjoy so, do just that. I'm not worried what my KR is worth. I purchased it to enjoy.........life is short my friend, drive it.

People are selling their toys to feed their families. Don't worry about what it'll be worth. You bought it to enjoy so, do just that. I'm not worried what my KR is worth. I purchased it to enjoy.........life is short my friend, drive it.

Very true words....enjoy it for what it is and not for what it might be worth someday

+1 Ain't that the truth brother!! :salute:

with the new Mustangs getting better and better there's going to be a few SGT owners who like owning the latest and greatest selling off their Shelby.

But the "cringe worthy prices" I see around here are all because they are way too high! Retailers, as well as private parties, seem to have plenty of time on their hands!

Unfortunately I only see the prices of SGTs going down, autographed airbag cover or not.

I agree with the numerous other TS Memebrs who posted comments - these cars are meant to be driven and not as an investment.

My SGT is a daily driver, it puts a smile on my face going to work and a greater smile on the drive home; not to mention all the thumbs up and compliments.

Remember: Life is too short to drive an ordinary car.

Unfortunately guys, the people that are "selling to feed their families", as it's been decribed, are brininging down the value of EVERYTHING! Look at your neighborhood. If the foreclosures don't wake you up to what's going on, then nothing will!

It's damn curious that Obama can come out yesterday and declare that the recession is officially over? I am not trying to get political here. I just think that we all need to realize that whether it's cars, homes, Harleys, boats, the ex-wifes wedding ring at a pawn shop, nothing is immune to this economic meltdown we've been going through here! You are going to continue to see guys sell off anything they don't absolutely need anymore. Yes, they might regret it in some years to come, but right now with the wife squalking in their ear to "Do Something, Now!", they are forced to sell the least wanted item in the toybox.

Some guys start out at an unrealistic pricepoint. They get beat up here on sites like this for being too high. It may take a couple of price reductions, but by the time it sells, we that are not so hard pressed, are chapped at how cheap they had to let the Shelby go for. Get used to it...Obama is wrong! We are going to get worse off, before we recover.

JMHO,

BIKEBOY

I like your JMHO

Unfortunately guys, the people that are "selling to feed their families", as it's been decribed, are brininging down the value of EVERYTHING! Look at your neighborhood. If the foreclosures don't wake you up to what's going on, then nothing will!

It's damn curious that Obama can come out yesterday and declare that the recession is officially over? I am not trying to get political here. I just think that we all need to realize that whether it's cars, homes, Harleys, boats, the ex-wifes wedding ring at a pawn shop, nothing is immune to this economic meltdown we've been going through here! You are going to continue to see guys sell off anything they don't absolutely need anymore. Yes, they might regret it in some years to come, but right now with the wife squalking in their ear to "Do Something, Now!", they are forced to sell the least wanted item in the toybox.

Some guys start out at an unrealistic pricepoint. They get beat up here on sites like this for being too high. It may take a couple of price reductions, but by the time it sells, we that are not so hard pressed, are chapped at how cheap they had to let the Shelby go for. Get used to it...Obama is wrong! We are going to get worse off, before we recover.

JMHO,

BIKEBOY

blaming Obama for the recession is like blaming Ronald McDonald when you get a bad burger!

Both the Democrats and Republicans are collectively responsible for the recession which started in late 2007, because the foundation for failure spans the last 2 decades. What Obama's administration has failed to do, is calculate an effective course to recovery without digging the grave deeper. This is because he lacks the political experience himself, or from those he surrounded himself with, to know what works in a nose dive situation. It's the difference between having a Joe Montana versus an Alex Smith at QB, when your team is down with less than 2 minutes on the clock in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.

Gentlemen, this is getting political now, and off topic to some degree. I'm sorry for redirecting this. All I was trying to say, Non-Politically, was that we are headed regardless of which side of the isle you reside, for more backslide in our economy. Doesn't matter where, when or who started it, at this point. I was only trying to point out that we should not condemn the guy that is in desperation to feed his family, or is 6 months behind in mortgage payments, and needs to let his beloved toy go for way less than others think he should. Who are we to judge the mistakes that may have been made to get him into such a situation?

I wouldn't want anyone condemning me for my need to right the ship at home! If a toy is holding up valuable assets that need to be dispursed somewhere else, and selling for less expedites that process, then you gotta do what you gotta do! That's all.

:salute:

And btw-

My wife continually reminds me...........................there is NOT a plethora of any Shelby model for sale today. Most Shelbys have wonderful homes and owner/drivers that are very content with their ownership!

Just a 'females' observation! :hysterical:

Recently, it seems there have been a whole lot of Shelby GTs For Sale at cringe worthy prices

What happens when the selling stops. Will the new owners, who are really getting some great deals, refuse to sell like many of us "Die Hards"?

Will this cause a value appreciation of our Shelby GTs?

Just wondering

Being in the 60+ age group, I remember the original 1965-1970 Shelbys when they were new AND when they were sold as used cars . The 1966 GT-350H cars were practically given away by Hertz and the dealers for years. Same is true of all Shelbys. Not until the 1990's did the "collectible" status really kick in for the Shelbys and the prices started to rise rapidly. In 1989 I had a chance to buy a 1968 GT-500 KR convertible, for $4,000. Sure the car needed restored, but look what that's worth today. Point is, that the Shelbys of today are following the same pricing cycle as the early cars. The crap economy is keeping the used car price low as well. Now is the time to buy, and if possible hang on to your SGT, GT-H, SS, KR. I use my SGT as a daily driver and the GT-H sits in the garage, except for shows. The GT-H is this retired person's savings account. The same amount of money in the bank would net me a whopping 1/4 of 1% interest. Value of a Shelby now is the Driving of the car. Just my opinion.

And btw-

My wife continually reminds me...........................there is NOT a plethora of any Shelby model for sale today. Most Shelbys have wonderful homes and owner/drivers that are very content with their ownership!

Just a 'females' observation! :hysterical:

Very good point she makes - taken as a percentage of total Shelby's made, the % of those for sale is meaningless.

We should all expect to see our values on these cars slip away. They will eventually reach a bottom out price. Realistically I expect we will see 4 digit numbers perhaps as low as 4-5K. Then they will climb back as they become more rare and reach a survivor car status. That's when things like options, Shelby signatures, CSM numbers, miles, condition and so on will start to play a more major role. I bought my car with the idea that I would do the following things in the following order:

1. Buy a brand new REAL SHELBY built for my generation, be the coolest guy on the block, be the envy of the town, and DRIVE it to make my own sweet memories. (DONE= check)

2. Hang onto her, keep her clean, only do mods that are with REAL SHELBY parts, keep all the Original Equipment, pay it off and suffer through the longest and most intense depreciation cycle on our cars. (Just Starting that process now... figure we have about 20-40 more years to go!)

3. Pass the SGT to one of my sons, keeping the heritage and legend of Carroll Shelby alive! Car should be very collectable and worth much more then (We will have to wait = hope I am alive to see it)

If you have done step 1. you are more likely to make it trough steps 2 & 3! Because of the memories of driving this car, step 2 will be much much easier to endure. My SGT is part of the family now. Not gonna throw it out on it's a$$.

I bought my car with the idea that I would do the following things in the following order:

1. Buy a brand new REAL SHELBY built for my generation, be the coolest guy on the block, be the envy of the town, and DRIVE it to make my own sweet memories. (DONE= check)

2. Hang onto her, keep her clean, only do mods that are with REAL SHELBY parts, keep all the Original Equipment.

+1000

Archived