TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supercharger Smell

Reapyr

Ive got a 2011 with the PP option. The car is sitting at 4800 miles since I took ownership of it 2mths ago. I do about 90% hwy driving, hence all the miles. When I am in the city, put it in second and Ill get into it...once I throw it into higher gears an just cruise I smell a scent I can only relate to it coming from cooling system for the supercharger. Would this be a normal thing, or am I looking at something different, cause I only notice the smell after a quick sprint.

Ive got a 2011 with the PP option. The car is sitting at 4800 miles since I took ownership of it 2mths ago. I do about 90% hwy driving, hence all the miles. When I am in the city, put it in second and Ill get into it...once I throw it into higher gears an just cruise I smell a scent I can only relate to it coming from cooling system for the supercharger. Would this be a normal thing, or am I looking at something different, cause I only notice the smell after a quick sprint.

Sounds like its the clutch to me.......superchargers gets hot anyway and would smell if something was wrong with it all the time. Intercooler doesn't leak if your intercooler tank is staying full. Since it happens when you get on it.......I say clutch.....FORD still hasn't got the problem solved yet and they have been working on it for four years.

I'm thinking your smelling clutch. If you are cruising a lot and then get on it. The clutch can glaze from just puttering around and when you get on it the glaze is burnt off. Not a problem. Clutch and coolant smell very different.

If it smells a little like anti-freeze/coolant, check your caps.

The Thermostat on mine went bad and it started with the caps blowing off a small amount of cooland "Steam" and ended with them blowing like moby dick and my engine overheating.

I'm thinking your smelling clutch. If you are cruising a lot and then get on it. The clutch can glaze from just puttering around and when you get on it the glaze is burnt off. Not a problem. Clutch and coolant smell very different.

Never thought to think of that, Ive smelt some burnt clutches before...but usually its a nasty smell. This one is kinda of a coolant smell. Ive checked the levels of fluid every other day and everything is still level. Guess this means Ill have to get on it somewhere on the interstate without FHP popping me again with the aerial stopwatch crap.

Just my 2 cents, I do not have a GT500, but do have a SGT/SC. I get a smell from the car running a little rich, I am OK with it and know the tune is meant to be this way from Ford.

Could that be what you are talking about?

+1

I will get the smell of the car running a little rich after I get on it. I notice it right after I get on it quick and hard over a very short burst (2-3 seconds). The rich smell is as brief as the quick burst acceleration and normally occurs after I shift into cursing gears.

The way i can best describe the smell is like that of the exhaust of an older car...one without modern emissions and exhaust controls. I know someone with a 1973 Jaguar E-Type and the exhaust of that car is the same as what I smell in my Shelby after short, quick, hard acceleration.

Since you have confirmed that you are not burning or losing any coolants, and this is not the smell of burning clutch or tires, I think it may be safe to say that what you are smelling is a rich mix after hard acceleration.

Other than clutch and tire smells, this rich mix is the only other smell I have noticed in my Shelby (5100 miles)

Archived