TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Window Tinting in Michigan

JT93

I own a 2007 Shelby GT and because of my eyes I'm looking to tint the window because I'm sensitive to light. What degree of tint - if any - do you have in your car? I'm looking to get the tint put in fairly soon, I wanna have it done before an amazing sale ends at the end of next month. Any help with be appreciated because the cops in my area all give me a different answer, none of which go alone with the Michigan laws.

I own a 2007 Shelby GT and because of my eyes I'm looking to tint the window because I'm sensitive to light. What degree of tint - if any - do you have in your car? I'm looking to get the tint put in fairly soon, I wanna have it done before an amazing sale ends at the end of next month. Any help with be appreciated because the cops in my area all give me a different answer, none of which go alone with the Michigan laws.

Remember to update your window "weatherstrip" along the door frame.

2007 models came with a hard surface that scratches window tint badly, so you can either install felt "moleskin" where the window "wipes" on the door, or upgrade to the 2008 weatherstripping (which Ford updated with BUILT-IN moleskin felt to correct the problem).

Info attached below... Costs about $45 for the 2008 parts...

Jer

Door Moleskin Diagram.jpg

Every car, I owned has tinted glass and with the darkest 5% and with that # at night it can be tricky to see out of them. The tint guys will tell you any tint other than factory is illegal and up by me the cops really don't bother you for it. My wife truck has 5 % also even over the dark factory tint even during the day you cant see in it. As far as getting a summons for them depends on the cop. When, I have gotten pulled over nite or day before coming to a stop my windows are down even if its pouring rain interior light goes on to lighten up the back windshield and car off hands on the wheel. I say 9 out of 10 he won't write you for the tint he even may thank you for doing that for him. If I pulled over someone and they won't drop there windows by the time I walk up to there car. The first thing they see when they do put down the window is Mr SigSauer and most of the time no ticket just tell what to do next time around. If you remember there was a news report about 2 rookie NYC cops that were shot and one died. They walked up to an SUV with super dark windows that were not down and as they walked past the rear doors, The guy opened up on them the cops couldn't see them till they got shot. The cop on the passenger side did what he was taught he stood on the curb watch ing the passenger side at a distance. What he didn't know cause he couldn't see in the vehicle was a perp lining his sights on the cop. In the old days cops would break your window or make you pull the tint off.

Remember to update your window "weatherstrip" along the door frame.

2007 models came with a hard surface that scratches window tint badly, so you can either install felt "moleskin" where the window "wipes" on the door, or upgrade to the 2008 weatherstripping (which Ford updated with BUILT-IN moleskin felt to correct the problem).

Info attached below... Costs about $45 for the 2008 parts...

Jer

Door Moleskin Diagram.jpg

When you say "weatherstriping" do you mean just the portion at the bottom of the window opening or all the sealer around the window? I felt around my window and it doesn't seem excessively rough to me, but I've never felt a piece of tint before so I don't know how durable it is.

When you say "weatherstriping" do you mean just the portion at the bottom of the window opening or all the sealer around the window? I felt around my window and it doesn't seem excessively rough to me, but I've never felt a piece of tint before so I don't know how durable it is.

Just the strip along the bottom, on the door itself... It's got a hard plastic surface that "wipes" against the window when it's raised or lowered. It scratches tint off.

If you look at the diagram I uploaded, you'll see the part that needs to get be upgraded. (It's labeled "#1" in the picture.)

Jer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The upgraded rub strips are absolutely essential. I have the moleskin type product on mine after several attempts at tinting left scratches. Fortunately for me, the PO went through this and I bought it already upgraded. Even with that, the tint is starting to get marks on both driver and passenger windows. The next step would likely be to upgrade to the 2008 factory strips. For now it is ok...

Definitely upgrade the strips before spending your hard earned money on the tint.

Regarding the darkness, I believe mine is 20%. It is great during the day, and a little too dark at night (backing down a dark driveway for example). 30% would be better, but I am willing to put up with the disadvantages for the advantages and stay with the 20%.

Archived