TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Coupe versus Convertible

Madlock

As the date draws near for my Coupe to arrive, I find myself wondering whether or not I out-thought myself with respect to whether or not I might've enjoyed a Convertible more.

I've just always been so damn concerned about the handling trade-off, particularly in a car that's always been handicapped by its rear live-axle as it is, and having done so little to compensate for the lack of a roof to keep things straight and level - so I decided to kiss my sister on both counts and went for the Glass Roof instead.

What hasn't been discussed very often is how much Ford has managed to improve the rigidity of the Convertible beyond the handful of reviews that have described it as being better than 2010. I'd appreciate knowing from 2011 Convertible owners just how well their cars handle, particularly in comparison to Coupes and other the Convertible version of other vehicles that come in both forms - and whether or not any trade-off in handling has been unacceptable.

I was surprised to see the SVTPP offered on the GT500 Convertible when Ford wouldn't even offer the 3.73 Rear Axle on the GT Convertible. I'm hoping the Glass Roof truly makes mine the best of both worlds, but every time I hear the GT500 engine note, I keep thinking to myself that having a convertible to hear it so much better might have been more fun.

Anybody care to share?

As the date draws near for my Coupe to arrive, I find myself wondering whether or not I out-thought myself with respect to whether or not I might've enjoyed a Convertible more.

I've just always been so damn concerned about the handling trade-off, particularly in a car that's always been handicapped by its rear live-axle as it is, and having done so little to compensate for the lack of a roof to keep things straight and level - so I decided to kiss my sister on both counts and went for the Glass Roof instead.

What hasn't been discussed very often is how much Ford has managed to improve the rigidity of the Convertible beyond the handful of reviews that have described it as being better than 2010. I'd appreciate knowing from 2011 Convertible owners just how well their cars handle, particularly in comparison to Coupes and other the Convertible version of other vehicles that come in both forms - and whether or not any trade-off in handling has been unacceptable.

I was surprised to see the SVTPP offered on the GT500 Convertible when Ford wouldn't even offer the 3.73 Rear Axle on the GT Convertible. I'm hoping the Glass Roof truly makes mine the best of both worlds, but every time I hear the GT500 engine note, I keep thinking to myself that having a convertible to hear it so much better might have been more fun.

Anybody care to share?

Ive been a vert guy for a long time.I have a 10,which in my view outhandles my wifes 2007 vette in high speed corners,and doesnt have much front end wiggel in the corners either like hers does.I did put in a sway bar from JLT which took away the little wiggle there was.Im 65 so didnt want to lose any filings when i was dricvng,so didnt want a tigher suspension anyway.Understand the 11 suspension for the vert was improved (stiffened),so from a ahndling viewpoint it should be better.Driving a vert is a whole diffrent experience. and BTW, they hold their resale better from my experience,especially if theyre low mileage cars.The weather right now here in Atl is perfect for verts,its 65 right now,high will be 85.Im sure youll love your car,but the glass roof wont give you anywhere near the "free" feeling you have in a vert.Its really a persoanl choice,both are great cars

Anybody care to share?

Well I know the SVTPP Springs and Ride height are set to the same as the non-SVTPP Coupe. The Convetible on the '11 is also only 149 lbs heavier than the coupe, and that weight is better distributed which is why he vert is 55/45 compared to the coupe 56/54.

As far as 0-60 and 1/4 times apparently the Convertible is scoring the same as the coupe, but unfortunately without a rollbar you won't get to experience this for yourself which to me is the #1 negative to owning a convertible sports car.

I haven't notice any wiggle or cowl shake going over rough roads or when cornering hard in mine. Basically it comes down to what you want. If you want a "cruiser" and don't mind the wind messing your hair (if you have any), the convertible is for you. If you want a more track-oriented car and plan on using it as such then the coupe is the way to go.

Anybody care to share?

I installed the FR3 handling pack with only 158 miles on the car, so I unfortunately did not have a lot of seat time before install. My car is on rails and I LOVE driving it. Entered my first car show last weekend to. Not very big, maybe 35 - 40 mustangs. Maybe only 6 verts. Attendees voted, not judges. I won "by a wide margin" they told me as I picked up the trophy. Verts get more attention and tend to hold value better. Not why I bout it though. The top is ALWAYS down. It is so much fun to drive. I believe a coupe would be to, but a vert was for me. Wife and daughters wanted a vert to. If you ever want to track it (road course or drag strip) you'll have to either install a roll-bar or have a coupe.

I installed the FR3 handling pack with only 158 miles on the car, so I unfortunately did not have a lot of seat time before install. My car is on rails and I LOVE driving it. Entered my first car show last weekend to. Not very big, maybe 35 - 40 mustangs. Maybe only 6 verts. Attendees voted, not judges. I won "by a wide margin" they told me as I picked up the trophy. Verts get more attention and tend to hold value better. Not why I bout it though. The top is ALWAYS down. It is so much fun to drive. I believe a coupe would be to, but a vert was for me. Wife and daughters wanted a vert to. If you ever want to track it (road course or drag strip) you'll have to either install a roll-bar or have a coupe.

How do you like the '20" Hankook's with the FR3 suspension? How's the traction vs the stock tires?

Just my 2 cents

I have had a few Verts (None Mustangs) and I absolutely loved them, mine were a M3 and a Miata (Don't laugh, it is one of the funnest cars I have driven).

My issue with the Mustang is I think the Vert kills the look, with the top down it looks great, with the top up the Coupe looks 10 times better in my opinion.

A toss up I guess, not sure I helped.

I guess if it is a toy and you think you will have the top down a lot I would definately get the Vert, otherwise I personally would get the glass roof.

Really a Win-Win situation!!!!!!!

Mine is a 10 Vert Stock, and I don't find the drive bad at all, as long as you don't hit a major bump during a hard turn. It's the wheel hop that i think makes the car handle poorly, but I am no pro and maybe it's because I don't take corners as fast as others, but I fell I'm hitting them pretty hard and I don't find the vert scary at all. I tested a 11 vert, Yes dealer let me test one and it did handle much better then my, like others said its personal choice. For me I'm buying a fair weather machine that is not going to see much adverse weather so top down wind in my hair was the only way to go. But if I was going to race it track or road I WOULD HAVE GONE COUPE all the way... just my .02

Just my 2 cents

I have had a few Verts (None Mustangs) and I absolutely loved them, mine were a M3 and a Miata (Don't laugh, it is one of the funnest cars I have driven).

My issue with the Mustang is I think the Vert kills the look, with the top down it looks great, with the top up the Coupe looks 10 times better in my opinion.

A toss up I guess, not sure I helped.

I guess if it is a toy and you think you will have the top down a lot I would definately get the Vert, otherwise I personally would get the glass roof.

Really a Win-Win situation!!!!!!!

Anybody know how much weight the glass top adds to the car? Does it add all the weight new engine got rid of? just wondering because l really like the look

I appreciate all the weighing-in and perspective. I'm already past the no-return point, as my Coupe is slated for build next week, but I'm seriously giving consideration to asking my dealer to try to see if there'd be a reasonably-near dealer with a convertible who might be willing to do a GT500-for-GT500 dealer trade. They're usually loathe to do so because of allocation, but hopefully having a GT500 to offer in-kind may make it possible. Fortunately, I've got a few weeks before delivery to make it decide.

Thanks.

Probably comes down to personal preference. We had our Shelby club meeting last Saturday and JDALLEN showed up with his '11 Black/red vert. Comparing it to my '11 Black stripe delete coupe, both look great. Both are beautiful cars and really depends on which look you like. A vert is probably more fun but I like the look of the coupe. (Probably goes back to my '70 black/black Mach 1 days..)

My .02 anyway.

HAWKBARR

I appreciate all the weighing-in and perspective. I'm already past the no-return point, as my Coupe is slated for build next week, but I'm seriously giving consideration to asking my dealer to try to see if there'd be a reasonably-near dealer with a convertible who might be willing to do a GT500-for-GT500 dealer trade. They're usually loathe to do so because of allocation, but hopefully having a GT500 to offer in-kind may make it possible. Fortunately, I've got a few weeks before delivery to make it decide.

Thanks.

if your seriuos about making the shift,id tell the dealer youve changed your mind and want a vert--if your too nice, they wont want to make the change--the glass top will be pretty rare,but sounds like your a vert guy.Thre are plenty of 2011 and 2010 verts around in fact I think kpevin has a white with Grabber stripe that hes selling from the forum.The 11s appear to have a more stout suspension if thats what your looking for--good luck and let us know what you wind up getting.If you locate one in Atl, ill go look at it for you--bob

if your seriuos about making the shift,id tell the dealer youve changed your mind and want a vert--if your too nice, they wont want to make the change--the glass top will be pretty rare,but sounds like your a vert guy.Thre are plenty of 2011 and 2010 verts around in fact I think kpevin has a white with Grabber stripe that hes selling from the forum.The 11s appear to have a more stout suspension if thats what your looking for--good luck and let us know what you wind up getting.If you locate one in Atl, ill go look at it for you--bob

From my understanding Kpevin has already sold his.

However your deal should be willing to give you back your deposit or at least try to find a vert for you. I wouldn't give up.

From my understanding Kpevin has already sold his.

However your deal should be willing to give you back your deposit or at least try to find a vert for you. I wouldn't give up.

wonder what he got for it--it sure was a pretty car--he picked it up here in Atl--+1 on returning the deposit,if he has one--but folks from NJ (Im from NYC) can be a little sensitive about that,

I'm sure my dealer would try to accommodate me if he can - with the presumption that it wouldn't saddle his books with what may be a low-turn unit he wouldn't otherwise want. The key here is being able to offer a dealership with a convertible a substitute - and perhaps even more salable GT500, solely because it's a limited-allocation item. That's the key to making all parties wiling participants - and my relationship with my dealer is such that I'd have no qualms about asking, or question that they'd be willing to arrange a vehicle transfer if they can.

I have the glass roof and love it. I didn't want one, but the wife did, so I compromised. I prefer hardtop. I thought it would be too hot and it seemed silly to me that it didn't open. But I must say, I have grown to love it. It doesn't get any hotter, to me, than any other black vehicle, and it's pretty neat. But it's no convertible if that's your thing. Good luck with your problem.

Anybody care to share?

Just my 2 cents... Nothing beats a convertible... Those summer night drives w/ the top down.... priceless! At the end of the day, go w/ your gut!

How do you like the '20" Hankook's with the FR3 suspension? How's the traction vs the stock tires?

I absolutely love the setup so far. I had only 158 miles on her before I switched them out. A little ashamed to admit but a brand new, $60k Shelby (car and all mod's)...I totally babied her for those 158 miles. Heck, it was probably closer to 800 miles before I really 'tested' her. I have absolutely no complaints. Traction is very good IMO, no road noise to speak of. Have nearly 1,500 miles now and tread wear is better then I expected.

wonder what he got for it--it sure was a pretty car--he picked it up here in Atl--+1 on returning the deposit,if he has one--but folks from NJ (Im from NYC) can be a little sensitive about that,

Sensitive? About what? Why?

The only sensitivity this adopted New Jersyan has noticed is to the occasional New Yorker.

Logic would state that due to serious drag issues yes it would negatively impact your performance having the top down....how much is anyone's guess.

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know what SVT did exactly to increase the structural rigidity of the 2011 convertible over the 2010? I've read about this everywhere but have seen no specifics. Is it possible for 2010 vert owners to reinforce their rides in the same way? Any thoughts/ideas on this would be appreciated...

This is a bit off topic but does anyone know what SVT did exactly to increase the structural rigidity of the 2011 convertible over the 2010? I've read about this everywhere but have seen no specifics. Is it possible for 2010 vert owners to reinforce their rides in the same way? Any thoughts/ideas on this would be appreciated...

+1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the track with my 2011 gt 500 svt coupe and the Z06's unless tricked out with exaust and chips were no problem to smoke through the curves of sebring. I would hang with them down the straits and kick their but on braking. Unless you plan on getting a perm and turning 90 get the stang and enjoy driving a car that is fun and rewarding. Not that the vets are not funl, just stay away from cars where you are just along for the ride.(gtr's, Turbos and automatic bull $&*$#)

Well I know the SVTPP Springs and Ride height are set to the same as the non-SVTPP Coupe. The Convetible on the '11 is also only 149 lbs heavier than the coupe, and that weight is better distributed which is why he vert is 55/45 compared to the coupe 56/54.

As far as 0-60 and 1/4 times apparently the Convertible is scoring the same as the coupe, but unfortunately without a rollbar you won't get to experience this for yourself which to me is the #1 negative to owning a convertible sports car.

I haven't notice any wiggle or cowl shake going over rough roads or when cornering hard in mine. Basically it comes down to what you want. If you want a "cruiser" and don't mind the wind messing your hair (if you have any), the convertible is for you. If you want a more track-oriented car and plan on using it as such then the coupe is the way to go.

I appreciate all the terrific information and guidance.

I haven't yet decided, but am gaming-out the scenarios if I do. I'd most certainly add the FR tower brace to either car for additional rigidity (can't EVER have enough), and I'm trying to discern whether or not I'd buy myself any further appreciable rigidity by using a more robust rear sway bar than the convertible's factory part.

The one non-performance question that remains unanswered is whether or not I could add the hard boot cover Ford offers as an option for the V6 on the convertible as an alternative to the soft fabric cover or whether or not the cloth roof is somehow incompatible with the boot cover (if it's made only for V6 vinyl). It's certainly not even a secondary, or even tertiary, issue - it's just one of the many collateral factors I'm trying to weigh before I'm pressed for a hard and fast decision and trucking arrangements are made for a swap.

I suppose there's truly no downside here - it's not like I wouldn't enjoy either one. I'll have the benefit of actually seeing the coupe when it arrives before I have to decide, although in deference to the other dealer that'd be party to the swap, I won't be driving it. I'll at least have a chance to see it in 3D.

Archived