TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Passenger seat air bag sensor

regalt87

My 07 GT 500 has had the recall to reflash the air bag ECM. My wife weighs around 120 and at times the air bag indicator is on for the passenger seat indicating the system is disarmed. If she bounces or moves around it will recognise the seat occupant and the indicator goes off. I know air bag deployment is a safety issue for children as it could cause a significant or fatal injury, but I would think that it is also a safety issue to not recognise a 120 lb person. The Ford service department manager says his wife's Acura is the same way and there is nothing that could be done about it. My concern is in many accidents there is a significant change in G force and motion as a vehicle is off it's normal axes so to speak and it would be quite possible for the occupant to lift or slide in the seat and the sensor think no occupant was present and not activate.

IMO if the sensor is not defective it seems like a design flaw. I also feel this answer is not exceptable, there must be a solution.

Any body have a simular experience or any knowledge about this?

Thanks.

I had a problem with my airbag light, only it was the light on the guage cluster. Not the one in the center stack. But....it was the passenger seat that had the problem. Dealer found that the pigtail that connected the seat to the harness was broken, damaged at factory on install probably. This may or may not be your problem, tech would know by following procedure to check the system. That's how they found mine. They will have to take some of the interior out to run down the problem.

but I would think that it is also a safety issue to not recognise a 120 lb person. The Ford service department manager says his wife's Acura is the same way and there is nothing that could be done about it.

Tell him to put that in writing and see what his reaction is.

Because if he DOES put it in writing and you have a accident where the pass. bag fails to deploy, you will have FoMoCo. by the legal balls. And he knows that so I suspect he won't even come close to a pen while you're there and it may even prompt him to "change his mind" and fix yer damn car!

And let the Ford Regional rep know that your Service Mgr. says Ford is intentionaly endangering your wife's life too. He'll be in your area in a New York second.

This is a *safety* issue, not a mechanical issue.

Phill

Tsb 09-8-7 Passenger Airbag Light

Seems the harness gets anchored under the seat in the wrong position. When so, any movement back on the seat stretches the harness to the point of separation at the connectors. The harness gets repositioned in the "correct" mounting hole, new connectors installed and tested.

Thinking this might be your problem?

My 09 did the same thing your car is doing. Interestingly enough, so does my 11.

Give your wife a box of donuts to eat !...lol, j/k

Yes, sounds like there's something wrong there. I was under the impression somewhere around 80 - 100lbs was the weight limit for airbag deployment. Meaning, anyone over 100lbs, the passenger side airbag would deploy in the event of a frontal collision. I remember my '08 went in for an airbag recall. That recall was to re-program the airbag module and "slow" down the passenger side airbag deployment so the passenger would not get injured by the airbag itself.

Tsb 09-8-7 Passenger Airbag Light

Seems the harness gets anchored under the seat in the wrong position. When so, any movement back on the seat stretches the harness to the point of separation at the connectors. The harness gets repositioned in the "correct" mounting hole, new connectors installed and tested.

Thinking this might be your problem?

It's odd that your '11 does it (you would think that if it were a known problem there would be a running production change) but that sounds like a VERY likely candidate for his problem and since historicaly it's a known problem, I'd look there first.

It is easy to get to (ease of access), there is a history of this problem (history) and logically it makes sense (logic).

All three of the items you use for the "logics of diagnosis";

Logic

History

Ease of Access

If nothing else, it's a real good place to start.

And it keeps dealership hands off of your car too (which for many people, is a major factor).

Phill

Yes, sounds like there's something wrong there. I was under the impression somewhere around 80 - 100lbs was the weight limit for airbag deployment.

I could be mistaken but I *believe* it is 70 pounds, which goes right along with most State laws pertaining to infant car seats and toddler booster seats, 70 pounds being one of the two factors for their use (with age being the second factor).

I remember when one State made a law for 100 pounds but there are *many* full grown women that weigh less than 100 lbs....could you imagine telling your wife she has to sit in a booster seat to ride in or driver her/your car! Yeah, as you can imagine THAT one didn't last very long!

I don't know about our Shelby Mustangs but some SRS systems have fuzzy logic built into them. They deploy at different rates depending on the weight of the passenger so a lighter person won't get a busted face from a overpowered air bag and a heavyER person won't get a busted face from the windshield or the dash pad. That system makes a TON of sense as air bags themselves can cause injuries.

For instance, I know a lady that was small in stature and had a 55mph T-bone when another lady pulled right out in front of her from a driveway (looked her stright in the eye and pulled right out in front of her). She probably weighed right around 100 lbs, give or take a few pounds. She got badly bruised on her chest and he bruise exactly matched the seams in the drivers air bag (Ford Taurus). A small circle in the middle with four "spider legs" in a X pattern radiating out from the circle. But in all fairness, that was about the ONLY injury she had where as the other lady wasn't so fortunate.

And in another instance, I know of a guy (one of my former students) that sustained more injuries from the air bag deployment than from the accident he was involved in. He hit another car at about 10-15 mph. He wore glasses. The air bag deployed and broke his glasses on his face. He had thick frames and they cut the hell out of his face (they broke at the nose bridge). That wasn't the worse of it. The deployment was so severe that it knocked him unconsious (car still running and in gear!). His car continued to roll, now "driverless". I think he eventually hit a telephone pole and if I remember right, his right foot actually pressed the gas so he was going faster....but now with a deflated air bag!

He would have had NO injuries if the air bag didn't deploy and smack him in the face so hard that it knocked him out.

So with SRS; Sometimes yer the windshield...sometimes yer the bug!

Me personally, I want air bags! (and I also use my seat belts religiously)

Phill

Dealer checked the ECM for the air bag system and no trouble codes. Checked a couple other things nothing found that was wrong.? I guess that's just the nature of the sensor. Make it more sensitive and it activates with kids in the seat and that's a problem. I know why they did away with the key on activation switch. Too bad mine did not have that option then this wouldn't be an issue.

Archived