TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roush super-charged 5.0 GT

Whammer

I am just so F'ing impressed with what Ford is doing with the Mustang! They just seem to be doing everything right. I'm even impressed with the V6's!! There was a time when a V6 was basically just a cheap way to allow people who loved the look of the mustang to get one. No one ever took the V6 seriously as a performer, but the 2011 V6 has taken that model to a whole new level. Ford is definitely looking to win the Pony Wars and at this point in time Chevy and Dodge are not even close.

Talk about regrets...should have waited another year to get new car. I wish I could trade in my GT500 for a 2011 Grabber Blue GT tomorrow - or at least travel back in time and not get this Shelby I have. Mistakes, mistakes.

I didn't like the front end design of the GT's at first..but now I love them. I could honestly care less about the "prestige" of owning a Shelby.

Talk about regrets...should have waited another year to get new car. I wish I could trade in my GT500 for a 2011 Grabber Blue GT tomorrow - or at least travel back in time and not get this Shelby I have. Mistakes, mistakes.

I didn't like the front end design of the GT's at first..but now I love them. I could honestly care less about the "prestige" of owning a Shelby.

I hear you bro, I know I'd probably have a lot less headache right now.

I hear you bro, I know I'd probably have a lot less headache right now.

Hi bpmurr -

Yeah, for sure. Also...you don't have to deal with the headaches from the allocations, mark up, limited edition, hard to find garbage.

I just jumped on Cars.com and found about 10 cars matching my options within 50 miles! and they're all under 40,000 MSRP. Good Gosh...how nice is that? I'm seriously looking at "trading down" to the GT.

I don't have many true regrets in my life..but getting this car has been one of them. But I fell prey to the "Got to have it" thinking.

Hi bpmurr -

Yeah, for sure. Also...you don't have to deal with the headaches from the allocations, mark up, limited edition, hard to find garbage.

I just jumped on Cars.com and found about 10 cars matching my options within 50 miles! and they're all under 40,000 MSRP. Good Gosh...how nice is that? I'm seriously looking at "trading down" to the GT.

I don't have many true regrets in my life..but getting this car has been one of them. But I fell prey to the "Got to have it" thinking.

I hear you. I'm selling my 2010 after another OEM clutch goes in. I might slide into a 2012 GT or 2011 SRT8 Challenger with the 6.4 next spring.

I hear you. I'm selling my 2010 after another OEM clutch goes in. I might slide into a 2012 GT or 2011 SRT8 Challenger with the 6.4 next spring.

I might wait til the details of the 2012 model year for the GT's. But I just hope that Grabber Blue is still available. If not, I'll just look for a 2011. I'm looking forward to attracting less attention too. I'm definitely getting the car without any stripes. I'll probably remove the "5.0" emblems as well.

I love the new challengers. I see a lot of them around. I never drove one, but they are for sure nice cars. They catch my eye more than the new corvettes do.

I might wait til the details of the 2012 model year for the GT's. But I just hope that Grabber Blue is still available. If not, I'll just look for a 2011. I'm looking forward to attracting less attention too. I'm definitely getting the car without any stripes. I'll probably remove the "5.0" emblems as well.

My old Land Cruiser started to die and I was able to get a good deal on a 2010 Lexus LX570. One would think that a boring, grey, stock Lexus SUV would be the perfect stealth vehicle as a DD. I've since had two BMWs try to get me to race me in it, a 335i and 5 series something. Seriously, the 335i kept pulling up next to me in the LX570 and pulling from highway speeds, about 4-5 times. It was funny as he seemed to be tryng to get away, but always got boxed in in traffic and I'd catch up, then he'd get more pissed, slow down until he was next to me than pull again. I was laughing, probably didn't help his mood. The 5 Series rev'd at 2-3 stoplights in a row and was breaking its wheels lose on the 1/2 shift. And yeah, both won easily everytime. I guess they where upset that I wasn't trying but I was keeping up or I somehow I offended all BMW owners? It is easy to offend people in Bay Area as the drivers generally suck, have no manners, and take things way to personally, at least relative to NY and Chicago drivers anyway. Or maybe BMWs don't do well against other cars so they have started trying SUVs?

Anyway, I'm starting to think about adding stripes to my stripe delete car. One clearly can't control how other drivers are going to react to ones car. Might as well relax, ignore them, and make the car look like how I want.

So now I'm torn between the stealth, stripe/emblem delete look and the "Classic" Shelby stripe, hood pin, etc. look. Only car I'd consider swapping for would be a significantly higher performance Shelby if Ford/Shelby manage to produce one in the next couple years before the 2014 platform change.

My old Land Cruiser started to die and I was able to get a good deal on a 2010 Lexus LX570. Anyway, I'm starting to think about adding stripes to my stripe delete car. One clearly can't control how other drivers are going to react to ones car. Might as well relax, ignore them, and make the car look like how I want. So now I'm torn between the stealth, stripe/emblem delete look and the "Classic" Shelby stripe, hood pin, etc. look. Only car I'd consider swapping for would be a significantly higher performance Shelby if Ford/Shelby manage to produce one in the next couple years before the 2014 platform change.

Wow...can't believe people are trying to race you in a SUV. LOL! I honestly don't have an issue with people wanting to race me...they just "annoy" me more than anything. I am the type of person that doesn't really like to be bothered when I'm out in public. I mean, I'm courteous to people and such..but I just want to be left alone. I hate parking my car somewhere and before I even get to the entrance to whatever store or restaurant I'm going to - I turn around and look and there's already people circling around my car. Then I always get some jackass that has to tailgate me aggressively...it just happens with this car. So annoying.

But I understand that thinking of not caring what other people think or how they react to you or what you own. That is truly the best way to live life. It's very hard for me to do at times..even though I know it's the right way to think.

I would definitely go with the all stealth route for your car..but you know where I'm coming from at this point...so I'm biased. I'm also more than happy with the power level offered for the current GT500 or GT - I'm sure the power will keep climbing though. I don't see any indications that the trend will reverse or come to a standstill.

Wow...can't believe people are trying to race you in a SUV. LOL!

I spent the last 6 years living in Manhattan. There, it seemed the general rule was, if my turn signal is on, I'm changing lanes, make room. And people generally did and where well behaved about it as you didn't hesitate and slow down everyone. Traffic there is so bad, 24x7, that if people didn't let other people cut in, no one would ever get anywhere.

In the SF Bay Area, the turn signal on a lane change seems to be interpreted as a challenge by other drivers to their personal space. So they speed up trying to fill the gap and block you from coming over least they look weak. :slapfight: If you ignore the fact that they are speeding up to defend "their" space, and go over anyway, they seem to get all offended and road rage and all sorts of stupidity that follows happens.

Prius owners are the worst. They seem to think that because they are "green" and you aren't , you really don't have any right to be on their road. When I encounter an obnoxious Prius owner, and I'm in the GT500, I usually down shift a couple gears, to make sure their personal efforts to "save" the planet by using a little less gas are thwarted and to enjoy the awesomeness of a GT500 at 5000 RPM.

In the SF Bay Area, the turn signal on a lane change seems to be interpreted as a challenge by other drivers to their personal space. So they speed up trying to fill the gap and block you from coming over least they look weak. :slapfight: If you ignore the fact that they are speeding up to defend "their" space, and go over anyway, they seem to get all offended and road rage and all sorts of stupidity that follows happens.

Same way here regarding the lanes...I really hate dealing with "other" people. Thankfully, I don't have to actually sit in rush hour/city traffic. I would lose my mind within a week. I'm just not equipped to deal with sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

The "yield" sign is also something that is lost on people here...I guess people feel their ego is bruised if they actually have to slow down and wait for a few cars to pass to be able to pull out into two empty lanes with no cars coming.

I do love my new 5.0. Blue star, as much a I loved my GT500, this car is better. The engine is amazing, the transmission is about eleventy billion times better than the TR6060. My biggest issue owning the Shelby is I could never really get over my own stigma of putting miles on a "collector car". I know they aren't REALLY collector cars, but it still felt like it. I was always scared to park my $50k car ANYWHERE.

While I love my GT as much (maybe even more!), it is just a Mustang GT and I'm much more relaxed about it. I can enjoy it much more. Besides, first time out on a 98 degree high humidity day it ran 108 in the quarter.

I do love my new 5.0. Blue star, as much a I loved my GT500, this car is better. The engine is amazing, the transmission is about eleventy billion times better than the TR6060. My biggest issue owning the Shelby is I could never really get over my own stigma of putting miles on a "collector car". I know they aren't REALLY collector cars, but it still felt like it. I was always scared to park my $50k car ANYWHERE.

While I love my GT as much (maybe even more!), it is just a Mustang GT and I'm much more relaxed about it. I can enjoy it much more. Besides, first time out on a 98 degree high humidity day it ran 108 in the quarter.

That's awesome to hear. I'm the same way...perhaps I just got into the wrong bracket of car for a person like me. I'm not rich, I don't have three other cars to chose from, I don't have a garage, I don't view the car as an investment, I don't view the car as something that should only be driven on the weekends on sunny days, I don't view it as something to "show off".

I don't worry about putting miles on it so much..but I do worry about the freakin' thing all the time. You're right...even though the GT is also an awesome car..it just gives you a different frame of mind. I think I would be much more relaxed and able to actually enjoy myself with it.

It is hard to come to the decision to get rid of the GT500...because I will NEVER own a car as expensive as this again in my life. So I want to think about it for a bit more. But I am just totally thinking that in the end..it'd be best to move on to the GT.

Prius owners are the worst. They seem to think that because they are "green" and you aren't , you really don't have any right to be on their road. When I encounter an obnoxious Prius owner, and I'm in the GT500, I usually down shift a couple gears, to make sure their personal efforts to "save" the planet by using a little less gas are thwarted and to enjoy the awesomeness of a GT500 at 5000 RPM.

I got behind a Prius doing 100 MPH in the passing lane earlier this week....the funny thing is his License plate read "LowCO2"

Yeah buddy your Prius is real efficient driving at 100MPH, he was probably getting the same mileage as me.

I dropped it down 2 gears and made sure I clearly protested his lack of concern for the environment when I passed him ( =

Is it just me or does it seem like Prius drivers are the most agressive road-raging people out there?

I got behind a Prius doing 100 MPH in the passing lane earlier this week....the funny thing is his License plate read "LowCO2"

Get the :censored: out of here...seriously..."Lowc02"? 2dkh7nn.gif

In addition to the prius owners being idiot drivers...another true mark of a jackass driver is the one that has a bumper sticker from two years ago on their car....cOugh! cOugh!

Get the :censored: out of here...seriously..."Lowc02"? 2dkh7nn.gif

In addition to the prius owners being idiot drivers...another true mark of a jackass driver is the one that has a bumper sticker from two years ago on their car....cOugh! cOugh!

Yeah I even took a picture on my Blackberry but the camera focused on my speedo instead of the Prius so it just looks like a red blob and I didn't want to get too close behind it at that speed while trying to aim a camera. The sad thing is this isn't the first Prius I've caught going 90MPH + with some stupid feel-good plate.

Any time I see "those" bumper stickers I pass them as soon as possible and make sure I let them know my car has a carbon footprint bigger than their whole family while doing so.

Yeah I even took a picture on my Blackberry but the camera focused on my speedo instead of the Prius so it just looks like a red blob and I didn't want to get too close behind it at that speed while trying to aim a camera. The sad thing is this isn't the first Prius I've caught going 90MPH + with some stupid feel-good plate.

Any time I see "those" bumper stickers I pass them as soon as possible and make sure I let them know my car has a carbon footprint bigger than their whole family while doing so.

I love it! 3310jnp.gif

...I don't view the car as an investment...

Anyone that thinks of owning the GT500 as an investment is someone I'd never want managing my 401K.

I hear where you guys are coming from. Before I sold my GT500 I worried about it all the time and could never leave anywhere in public w/o feeling the need to check on it. I got to where I loved business trips and had a rental car because I could park at a hotel and go to dinner and never once think about the car. It was amazing how much more relaxed I felt, thus being in a better mood to be around.

Now that the Shelby is gone I have a 2010 Ram Hemi crew cab parked in the driveway as it will be more practical for my son and I once the divorce is final. It was marked $10K off sticker and hopefully I can pay it off early and get something fun and sporty again while keeping the truck. I really wanted to get another (and new) Miata as they are so much fun to drive on a picture-perfect day, but it's just not practical as an only car with a kid.

But...

Now that I'm reading all this good info on the new 5.0, it may be the car to get one day. I just read in one of the big-name car mags where it BARELY lost to a new BMW M3 on a road-course, but beat the M3 in acceleration and braking, and it's right on the hindquarters with a GT500 up to 100 MPH. Sure the blast from 80-120 MPH won't be as exhilerating as the GT500, but I knew those speeds were eventually going to get me in trouble...or worse.

If I were in the market today for another muscle car, and I could afford another GT500, I'd be hard pressed to pick it over a new 5.0. And when I factor in the comfort level of not owning a car that constantly attracts attention, I'm afraid the 5.0 would be the winner hands down.

Anyone that thinks of owning the GT500 as an investment is someone I'd never want managing my 401K.

I hear you on that....but you still get those people that think they're going to cash in big time one day. I'd never view a new car as an investment.

I got to where I loved business trips and had a rental car because I could park at a hotel and go to dinner and never once think about the car. It was amazing how much more relaxed I felt, thus being in a better mood to be around.

Boy is that ever the truth! Sometimes I think about going to a mall or some store and end up not going and ordering the stuff online - just because I know I'd be running through the stores to get back to my car before something happens. I did however manage to go out a few times with a girl to the movies at a large mall and out to eat...surprisingly, in that situation - I wasn't worried about the car, mostly because I was so taken with this girl that I couldn't think of anything else but her! I definitely think that must mean that she is the "one" for me!

If I were in the market today for another muscle car, and I could afford another GT500, I'd be hard pressed to pick it over a new 5.0. And when I factor in the comfort level of not owning a car that constantly attracts attention, I'm afraid the 5.0 would be the winner hands down.

Totally agree with that. Unless I were to come into a large sum of money so I could afford to have two cars and only have the GT500 for "after work" times and had a nice garage to keep in when I'm not using it.

Archived