TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking for Advice

dsastang67

So I need some help. What should I do?

It all started out just over a week ago when I went to take my GT-H out to the local Ford Dealer to balance the tires. I had a vibration in the steering wheel and noticed that the tires had thrown the weights on the front. While out there they suggested I check the alignment so I had them do it.

First of all, I had the car there one previous time for an oil change. The technician that worked on it knew the rarity of the car and was very careful. When I got the dealership this time I asked if the same technician was available. He was off that day. I expressed my concern for the safety of the car and the service writer assured me the guys knew what they were doing.

The first thing I noticed when the Tech. brought the car in to balance the tires, was that he popped open the hood. Unfortunately he did not remove the hood pins, so it scratched the disc on the hood. I discussed this issue with the service writer and he went and talked to the tech about it.

Once the balancing was done, the car had to go to another area for the alignment. After an hour of waiting I went to go walk around the parking lot and look at cars. I walked by the service bay where the car was and heard them start it up. I thought to myself cool, they are going to get it on the machine now. Apparently I was mistaken since the guy got in, started it, revved it up numerous times and then shut it down and started chuckling with his coworkers.

I then got upset again and went back to the service writer I was dealing with and expressed my concern. They stated that sometimes the guys dont think about what they are doing. At that point I expressed concern about the ground clearance of the car and stated that it is lower than a normal Mustang and to be careful when driving onto the Alignment ramps. Again, they assured me that they are careful and know what they are doing.

After a total of 4 hours at the Ford Dealership, I finally got my car back. I went home and started to look over the car. The first thing I noticed was that the rims around the lug nuts were chipped from the air gun. All 4 rims had some damage.

The next thing I did was looked under the front bumper and as expected, they had hit on the ramps. There were yellow scuff marks and the paint was scuffed completely off. I know this was from them as the paint on the bumper was new as of when I bought the car 9 months ago. I am absolutely positive that I have never hit any curbs or anything else with the car.

I now have to go meet with the manager to show him what happened.

What should I expect from them? To be honest I do not trust them paint anything on the car.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Wow, I am really sorry about your experience there, if this is the local store in your area I know the owner and managers care. I do business with them and the owner has a collection of stangs and Shelby's that will make your eyes pop. Talk to them calmly and speak with the GM or Owner if no satisfaction from the Service Manager.

Wow, I am really sorry about your experience there, if this is the local store in your area I know the owner and managers care. I do business with them and the owner has a collection of stangs and Shelby's that will make your eyes pop. Talk to them calmly and speak with the GM or Owner if no satisfaction from the Service Manager.

It all started out just over a week ago when I went to take my GT-H out to the local Ford Dealer to balance the tires. I had a vibration in the steering wheel and noticed that the tires had thrown the weights on the front. While out there they suggested I check the alignment so I had them do it.

First of all, I had the car there one previous time for an oil change. The technician that worked on it knew the rarity of the car and was very careful. When I got the dealership this time I asked if the same technician was available. He was off that day. I expressed my concern for the safety of the car and the service writer assured me the guys knew what they were doing.

The first thing I noticed when the Tech. brought the car in to balance the tires, was that he popped open the hood. Unfortunately he did not remove the hood pins, so it scratched the disc on the hood. I discussed this issue with the service writer and he went and talked to the tech about it.

Once the balancing was done, the car had to go to another area for the alignment. After an hour of waiting I went to go walk around the parking lot and look at cars. I walked by the service bay where the car was and heard them start it up. I thought to myself “cool, they are going to get it on the machine now.” Apparently I was mistaken since the guy got in, started it, revved it up numerous times and then shut it down and started chuckling with his coworkers.

I then got upset again and went back to the service writer I was dealing with and expressed my concern. They stated that sometimes the guys don’t think about what they are doing. At that point I expressed concern about the ground clearance of the car and stated that it is lower than a normal Mustang and to be careful when driving onto the Alignment ramps. Again, they assured me that they are careful and know what they are doing.

After a total of 4 hours at the Ford Dealership, I finally got my car back. I went home and started to look over the car. The first thing I noticed was that the rims around the lug nuts were chipped from the air gun. All 4 rims had some damage.

The next thing I did was looked under the front bumper and as expected, they had hit on the ramps. There were yellow scuff marks and the paint was scuffed completely off. I know this was from them as the paint on the bumper was new as of when I bought the car 9 months ago. I am absolutely positive that I have never hit any curbs or anything else with the car.

What should I expect from them? To be honest I do not trust them paint anything on the car.

I agree talk to the service manager and the GM and if the owner is there have him listen. in. Or just speak to the owner if he's a car buff he won't be happy either. I leave my car with the dealer even for days after its been worked on and if the service manager wants to drive it or even the owner. I have no problems with that cause respect my car and want my business and even the tech they love me because they get a fat tip also if, I leave it and cant pick up for even days they will leave it in a bay or pull out and pull it in. But trust me I tip before he does the work and tell don't disappoint me.

Whenever I take it to the dealer, tire shop, etc., I have a 8 1/2" x 11" red paper with large black letters with the wording:

CAUTION:

1. Remove hood pins before unlacking the hood.

2. Do not wash the car.

3. Beware, this car has a low clearance so watch out for driveways, ramps, etc.

I leave the paper taped over the radio console so they can't miss it. So far I've had no problems.

Hope everything works out okay .... Don

Whenever I take it to the dealer, tire shop, etc., I have a 8 1/2" x 11" red paper with large black letters with the wording:

CAUTION:

1. Remove hood pins before unlacking the hood.

2. Do not wash the car.

3. Beware, this car has a low clearance so watch out for driveways, ramps, etc.

I leave the paper taped over the radio console so they can't miss it. So far I've had no problems.

Hope everything works out okay .... Don

Great idea with the sign.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Make an appoinment to talk with the GM. Keep the conversation calm, but to the point. If they offer to repair the paint, request to talk with the paint shop to convey your concerns.

Good luck.

Once the balancing was done, the car had to go to another area for the alignment. After an hour of waiting I went to go walk around the parking lot and look at cars. I walked by the service bay where the car was and heard them start it up. I thought to myself “cool, they are going to get it on the machine now.” Apparently I was mistaken since the guy got in, started it, revved it up numerous times and then shut it down and started chuckling with his coworkers.

I then got upset again and went back to the service writer I was dealing with and expressed my concern. They stated that sometimes the guys don’t think about what they are doing. At that point I expressed concern about the ground clearance of the car and stated that it is lower than a normal Mustang and to be careful when driving onto the Alignment ramps. Again, they assured me that they are careful and know what they are doing.

I agree with everyone's advice... see the Service Manager, then the GM, finally the owner.

BTW, If you don't get any satisfaction from them, I may have a spare set of new hood pin plates, they are yours if you need them, just PM me.

Jer

This is a post I made a while back about a dent repair. Some of this doesn't apply to your damage but the principals of paint work do in in reference to the use of certain paint materials.

My advice is always free. May not always be right but you can't beat the price!!

This is what I would do:

1- Carefully tap out the dent from the back using a dolly type tool shaped correctly for the surface you want to straighten. On the other side of the quarter panel, have another dolly there to assist in the shaping. This will minimize stretching of the metal.

2- Once the metal is in place, grind the dent area in surges as to not warp the metal.

3- Apply and work the bondo. If the metal stretching was done correctly there should not be very much necessary.

4- Once the bondo is complete I prefer to put 2 coats of epoxy primer sealer on the bare metal and work area. I use the PPG DP series. This serves as a moisture barrier. Let that sit for 24 hours and cure. (top coating your sealers and primers too soon as seen in most production shops will not let them cure. Chemical reactions can occur and sanding scratches can lift immediately or in most cases 1 to 4 weeks later as the product shrinks and cures.

5- Use a quality name brand catalyzed high build primer such as PPG 270. 2 coats let it cure for 24 hours. Spray a light coat of cheap lacquer primer over that which is a different color. When you block sand it, this acts as a guide coat and shows where the scratches and low and high spots are. First round of sanding usually gets 240 grit but this small area would be done with 320 grit.

6- If a second round is necessary repeat the process with a finer sand paper such as 320 grit.

7- If you are satisfied that the dent is straight, top coat it with 2 coats of epoxy sealer (comes in different colors) Choose one close to the color of your car. This will assist the base coat in covering adequately.

8- Prep the rest of the quarter panel with 900 grit as now you will gradually blend up to the door with the base coat.

9- Be sure to use a quality wax and grease remover to remove all the wax. On a car like this that has probably had regular waxing and paint sealants applied, at least 3 rounds would be necessary to prevent fish eye's.

10- 2-3 coats of a factory mix base coat (not a store mix) and a fog to even out the metallic and then the gradual blend will usually be all that is necessary. Deltron DBC is my choice because I am used to it can't say i have had a problem or issue with it.

11- Let sit for at least 1 hour and apply 2 coat of a HIGH SOLIDS CLEAR- NOT A CHEAP LOW SOLIDS CLEAR-(THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE) 2 coats doesn't sound like much but the mills on this is significant. I do use fish eye prevent-er because in many cases you can not block sand fish eyes out.

12- Removal of the rear bumper for painting is not a bad idea. This would allow paint coverage around the corner of the quarter panel.

13- BE SURE TO ADD SOME NEW FLEX ADDITIVE TO YOUR CLEAR. This will minimize cracking on the flexible rear bumper.

14- Let sit and cure for 24 hours and sand with 2500 grit (nothing less for a car like this) (a production shop may have a bake system in there paint booth and there fore 24 hours is not necessary)

15- Buff with a wool pad with a medium cut cutting cream. Then a finishing cream. Then a swirl remover product with a foam pad. IMPORTANT then a foam pad designed for wax application with a quality NEW PAINT FRIENDLY WAX ONLY. The reason for this is to let the paint cure for 30 days and this wax lets the paint breathe. Applying any wax will seal the paint and not let it cure properly and funny stuff can happen.

The car should be completely covered with plastic during all applications of products. Or at least while in the shop when they are painting or priming it or any thing else ( and especially while detailing and spraying silicone any where. ) Another important thing to check in is the type of paint gun they are using. The new expensive ones are better and make a difference in the way the clear lays down and also the orange peel factor. Technology has improved them a lot. Also make sure they under stand how or when to use the proper temperature ranges of the catalyst and reducers and retarders.

Remember- no job is perfect, we can't duplicate the environment and conditions the factory used. But hopefully these tips will help you get a job you can live with. If you shoe this to what ever shop you go to they may disagree or say they do it better, but they will understand your expectations and concerns. Don't be afraid to sit down with the owner and body man and painter prior to this repair and express your concern and ask questions.

NOTE : Many repair jobs don't get a high solids clear because insurance cuts the shop tight on money. If necessary inquire and insist and offer to pay the difference to assure you get it.

Sorry this happened, and good luck.

Thank you all for the advice. I did take the car back and talk to the service manager. He was very professional about it and could even see where I was coming from as he is a Mustang Enthusiest. The car will not be fixed but I did receive a fair credit at the dealership to use towards anything I wish. I am not happy that it happened but I feel much better about it all. I did ask him to talk to the employees to make sure they respect the cars that come in to be worked on so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Whether it does any good or not.....well that is up in the air. At least I tried.

Thanks Again!

Thank you all for the advice. I did take the car back and talk to the service manager. He was very professional about it and could even see where I was coming from as he is a Mustang Enthusiest. The car will not be fixed but I did receive a fair credit at the dealership to use towards anything I wish. I am not happy that it happened but I feel much better about it all. I did ask him to talk to the employees to make sure they respect the cars that come in to be worked on so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Whether it does any good or not.....well that is up in the air. At least I tried.

Thanks Again!

The car needs to be fixed. Accept nothing less.

"A fair credit at the dealership to use towards anything I wish."????

AS IF you'll ever buy a car from them?

If you're happy, fine, but it sounds like BULLSH*T to me. "FIX MY CAR"!

Jer

Archived