TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shift Knob By MGW

GOTVENOMGT500

rally_series_shift_balls.jpg

optionalmachinedjamnut.jpg

rally_cobra.jpg

Was checking out the MGW LTD and saw they are now making shift knobs very simlar to the stock GT500 in factory colors!! I haven't even purchased my GT500 yet and I want to buy one!! :hysterical:

Here's the direct link GT500 Knobs

I'm going to e-mail George over at MGW inquire about a possible forum discount and reference this thread.

Please post if you'd be interested in a knob, and if you don't see your color comb the website states they taking suggestions for possible additional colors.

Website states they don't fit our car. You must order their shifter to have the correct thread pattern. They would change their thread pattern if they were smart about it... Most people, including myself, don't want to replace an entire shifter assembly for a shifter ball color.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the shifter on the new Shelbys. You may be extremely happy with it as it is a very short throw. Much shorter than any other car I've driven. Honestly any shorter and I wouldn't know what gear I was in by looking. I've heard others say a gear indicator would be a nice addition and I understand why.

Wish they had our thread pattern. I wouldn't mind the cobra on the side of the shifter. Personally I'd like a black one with silver stripes to match the seats rather than the car exterior.

Website states they don't fit our car. You must order their shifter to have the correct thread pattern. They would change their thread pattern if they were smart about it... Most people, including myself, don't want to replace an entire shifter assembly for a shifter ball color.

Just a quick suggestion: You might want to double check the thread pitch on your particular shifer handle. I say this because I got a e-mail from the Pro 5.0 people when I asked about their shifter fitting my 2010 GT500 and they said with the 2010's, they furnish TWO different shift handles because the early 2010's use one TP where as the later ones use another.

My impression is that the '07 (& possibly earlier) thru '09 use one TP and they switched to a different TP (finer?) AFTER the 2010 MY started being built so the 2010's have a period where they were using both (to get rid of NOS). I *assume* after a certain date ALL 2010's and now all 2011's use the "new" pitch. This is *very* typical of auto mfgr's when they do a running production change on a part. Sometimes they will have a specific cut-off date but other times they have a 'period' when they mixed both parts in a bin and which ever one the line tech grabbed, was the one you got.

SO....you may or may not be able to use the shift ball/s offered by MGW.

I also know you can buy adaptors to change one TP to another, if the diameter of the shaft is different (it's a brass sleeve with a inside and a outside thread, each being different).

Me personally, I'm ordering a MGW shifter and one of each handles so if I find some super duper "gotta have" shift knob in the future (or my OEM shift ball) I can switch handles and use either. It's 35 bucks, which in the grand scheme of things is chump change (remember, we're putting it on a $50K-$60K CAR!).

The short version of the story is, check your TP and see what you have before you condem the MGW as useless (to you). You can get anyone with a tap & die set to check your TP with the TP gauge they get in their T&D set (check both metric and SAE pitch/diameter as some are VERY close to each other).

YMMV,

Phill Pollard

Thanks for the info, Phil. Definitely worth a check. I do have a 2011 so I suspect I don't have a match to their thread pattern. Who knows, I may be able to get in touch with them to cut a different thread pattern. I sure would like a black/silver ball... But there again, I like the white cue ball way more than the older Shelby shifters. I catch myself in this train of thought quite a bit. I want to mod but I'm completely happy with how said item came from the factory.

Archived