TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil consumption

Toy Cobra

Received my 2011 GT500 a week ago, I checked the oil level as soon as I got it home from the dealer and had to add a 1/2 qt. Checking the oil level must not be included in the $850 dealer prep fees. I just turned 1000 miles and already had to add 1/2 qt of Castrol 50-50. I've been driving it conservatively during the break-in period and have not even gotten close to red line.

There are no visible drips or leaks, the tail pipes look normal and I can't see any blue fumes coming out of the pipes.

Are you guys finding you have to add oil? My 2003 Cobra was tight, never had to put in a drop between changes.

Received my 2011 GT500 a week ago, I checked the oil level as soon as I got it home from the dealer and had to add a 1/2 qt. Checking the oil level must not be included in the $850 dealer prep fees. I just turned 1000 miles and already had to add 1/2 qt of Castrol 50-50. I've been driving it conservatively during the break-in period and have not even gotten close to red line.

There are no visible drips or leaks, the tail pipes look normal and I can't see any blue fumes coming out of the pipes.

Are you guys finding you have to add oil? My 2003 Cobra was tight, never had to put in a drop between changes.

Mine was about in the middle of the cross hatched area of the dip stick when I got it home. I didnt add any to it. I did the first oil change at 1000 miles and it didnt move down any further. I would not worry to much. Change the oil and filter at 1000 miles. Put 6.5 qt's in it and watch it from there. if it still uses some then worry a little.

Mine was about in the middle of the cross hatched area of the dip stick when I got it home. I didnt add any to it. I did the first oil change at 1000 miles and it didnt move down any further. I would not worry to much. Change the oil and filter at 1000 miles. Put 6.5 qt's in it and watch it from there. if it still uses some then worry a little.

Ditto for me. This subject has been discussed ad-nauseam in the past. The dip stick is not terribly accurate, period. MattR is exactly right. Change the oil at 1000 mile, put in 6.5 quarts with filter, CHECK THE LEVEL ON THE DIPSTICK (after a brief start up, shut down, and allowing about five minutes for drainage) This is the proper oil level for YOUR car. I put a little scribe mark on the stick to note where full is. DON'T OVERFILL. Definitely bad for the engine.

Just checked mine for the first time. I have 600 miles on the clock and the oil level shows about the middle of the cross hatches. Not sure if its an issue since I didn't check it when I brought the car home. I'll be changing the oil at 1000 miles and will keep an eye on it. I'm only showing an average of 13.2 MPG.

Archived