TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who's The Real Boss ?

shelbymotorsports

Consumer Reports did a quick comparo between a 1970 Boss 302 and a 2011 V-6 Mustang. Amazing how much cache we give to the Boss 302 that ran a 16 second 1/4 mile. Also hard to grasp that a V-6 Mustang weighs over 200 lbs more than the Boss.

Steve

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/new-2011-ford-mustang-v6-vs-1970-boss-302-whos-the-real-boss.html

Sorry, I read this forum's headline and thought it was about a different subject. My answer to the question was going to be...

Cleo? :hysterical:

Consumer Reports did a quick comparo between a 1970 Boss 302 and a 2011 V-6 Mustang. Amazing how much cache we give to the Boss 302 that ran a 16 second 1/4 mile. Also hard to grasp that a V-6 Mustang weighs over 200 lbs more than the Boss.

Steve

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/new-2011-ford-mustang-v6-vs-1970-boss-302-whos-the-real-boss.html

Steve,

Contrary to what most of our Team members believe... I think when our kids are in their fifties and sixties, they will be seeking these very cars we covet today. IMHO, it's going to be no different then, as it is at Barrett Jackson today. There will be a bunch of Macanudo smoking, drunk guys in the 'pit' clammering to get their hands on the 150 orig. mile 2007 GT500. Who knows, maybe Ron Pratt has a kid ? Lol! I promise this scenario, as history constantly repeats itself, with everything!

I am not going to attempt a guess which one of Carrolls cars will be bringing the most dough.....but it really doesn't matter. They will all bring big bucks to the right buyer, I believe. Especially given the facts that your post shows here. These cars when they are 30 years old won't be leakers like the old stuff today. AND...they will be much more fun to drive and enjoy with less stress than the oldies today.

If the future of the automobile holds true to how it appears to be unfolding...ie, electric and more hybrid crap, then we may be seeing the last musclecar wars unfolding before our eyes. Again, IMHO, these cars of today are CLEARLY the Boss's as you called it. :salute:

BIKEBOY

Comparing cars today to those of 40 years ago are apples to oranges, todays technology is vastly superior to yesterdays. Tire tech alone can

allow a FOCUS to outhandle most muscle cars. Remember, the '70 was on F-70 bias ply tires, good luck trying to launch a BOSS without baking

the rears, add to that the BOSS 302 with those huge valves & small cid, had to be kept over 5500 rpm to make its power, you had to be pretty

good at finessing the clutch & throttle off the line. No doubt the Mustang of today is a better vehicle all around, with the 6 speed, sticky radials,

stiffer body/chassis, it should better the than Boss in the 1/4. The B2 was never designed as a drag car, its a high winding trans-am machine, low-torque/high HP in the upper rpm ranges is not condusive to drag racing without a lot of gearing & chassis mods. Throw a set of radials on the

'70, take them both out at LIME ROCK, that would be a better show. BTW, I dont know who did the driving back in '70, but 16.0 is pretty poor

even for the BOSS, low 15's was a little more the norm.

Comparing cars today to those of 40 years ago are apples to oranges, todays technology is vastly superior to yesterdays. Tire tech alone can

allow a FOCUS to outhandle most muscle cars. Remember, the '70 was on F-70 bias ply tires, good luck trying to launch a BOSS without baking

the rears, add to that the BOSS 302 with those huge valves & small cid, had to be kept over 5500 rpm to make its power, you had to be pretty

good at finessing the clutch & throttle off the line. No doubt the Mustang of today is a better vehicle all around, with the 6 speed, sticky radials,

stiffer body/chassis, it should better the than Boss in the 1/4. The B2 was never designed as a drag car, its a high winding trans-am machine, low-torque/high HP in the upper rpm ranges is not condusive to drag racing without a lot of gearing & chassis mods. Throw a set of radials on the

'70, take them both out at LIME ROCK, that would be a better show. BTW, I dont know who did the driving back in '70, but 16.0 is pretty poor

Agreed. Anyone using Consumer Reports for anything other than bird cage lining isn't an enthusiast. An original Boss 302 is NOT a 16 second car unless you pull off a few plug wires. It also handles pretty well with comparable rubber. Remember too that a variety of gear ratios were available back in the day and nearly everyone tossed the factory pipes and smog gear. The factory knew this and wasn't too concerned about max efficiency exhaust systems like they are today. Junk the smog gear, add the headers and a stiff gear and we've got ourselves a race.

Agreed. Anyone using Consumer Reports for anything other than bird cage lining isn't an enthusiast. An original Boss 302 is NOT a 16 second car unless you pull off a few plug wires. It also handles pretty well with comparable rubber. Remember too that a variety of gear ratios were available back in the day and nearly everyone tossed the factory pipes and smog gear. The factory knew this and wasn't too concerned about max efficiency exhaust systems like they are today. Junk the smog gear, add the headers and a stiff gear and we've got ourselves a race.

I was going to say exactly what you said. I had 2 -1970 boss 302's and a 70- 428 SCJ Mach 1 with the 430 locker drag pack, and none of them were even close to being that slow. I can't remember the ET of them but I will tell you one of the Boss 302's had a 430 gear and a couple mods and it was clearly faster than the 428 car. Ford published 290 HPbut we know they have under rated the true HP before.

Interesting thing happened one day. I gave my neighbor a ride in to town in my Boss cause his crew member borrowed his truck. He had won the national sprint car championship a couple times and had a really nice program. (chevy guy) I let it eat and it ran good but he said it should have had more. He asked how I was running the valves and then said I was doing it wrong and when we got back he showed me how to do it right. No kidding- probably 80 more HP improvement.

I noticed your pic in the corner. I just ordered my plate for a car I don't own yet. P51 BOSS will reside on the 86 prelude till I purchase the intended recipient.

2011 boss 302.jpg2012 boss.jpg

Mike

2011 boss 302.jpg

2012 boss.jpg

Remember, the '70 was on F-70 bias ply tires, good luck trying to launch a BOSS without baking the rears,

I marvel every time I see a vintage muscle car on correct tires. I don't see how they ever put that much power to the ground! I'll bet I've got more contact patch on one GT 500 rear tire than on all four oem Boss 302 tires! When you see the "My Classic Car" shows and such and they're romping on a 428 or a 396 and they're smoking those skinny rear tires, it makes you wonder how they ever kept them straight!

I marvel every time I see a vintage muscle car on correct tires. I don't see how they ever put that much power to the ground! I'll bet I've got more contact patch on one GT 500 rear tire than on all four oem Boss 302 tires! When you see the "My Classic Car" shows and such and they're romping on a 428 or a 396 and they're smoking those skinny rear tires, it makes you wonder how they ever kept them straight!

Yea, todays tires are light years ahead of 60's tech.

Archived