TEAM SHELBY FORUM

An American in Canada...

Hello all....eh? :hysterical:

Ok, enough of that. Today I went to my first CFL Canadian football game in Hamilton, Ontario. The hometeam Tigercats played the visitors from Montreal. I want to relay my experience to all of you south of the border that may have never seen a game from up here and may not know of the differences from our NFL.

First I want to start by saying before the game they had a moment of silence for us down home....9/11. That was very COOL! People here were equally sketched out out on that fateful morning...believe me when I tell you that!

OK...now to the game. First thing you notice is that the field is an extra ten yards long. They move the goalposts to flush with each goal-line. Then the yards you lose in the end zone they add to the center of the field. So, the field goes 10,20,30,40,50,-C-50,40,30,20,10. There is a Centerline. That is really weird and takes getting used to. Then, they tell me the ball is slightly larger than that of the NFL? They score as we do, but there are only 3 downs. They also allow a punt or kickoff reciever 5 yards around him as sort of a safety zone to catch the ball, then after it's caught, you can rush him! Crazy, right??? The penalty if you 'invade' that space is called "No Yards"... I cannot remember what the penalty yardage is for it however. Now, it gets crazier. When they kick a field goal and it's good, then the game carries on as ours does. But, if the goal attempt is wide either direction, an opposing player can run it out of the end zone if he catches it! This freaked me out! It does keep the game going much quicker, I must say. I also noticed that if the field goal attempt is from way out, and missed...the opposing player catches the ball and takes a knee, which brings it all the way back out there for them to drive the other way. So, if it's a short missed field goal, they will take their chances running it out past where it was kicked from. Oh yeah, both teams reside on the same sideline. My buddy that took me to the game is a 60 yo. Canadian and I teased him that they just have to be different here, don't they!! Lol... :hysterical:

Hamilton Ontario is an old steel manufacturing town. Most of the business is gone now to China...surprise! But, what's really freaky too, is that our Pittsburgh Steelers, (steel town), team jerseys are exactly the same color as the TigerCats, yellow and gold. Coincidence? I think not. Copycat? Perhaps! That was sort of strange to me too. All in all, I must say that I had a great time, and the weather was outstanding today for football.

So, now in my two year stay here in Toronto, I have been to a CFL game, two MapleLeaf hockey games, one Toronto Raptors game, when Chris Bosch was still there. We went to a BlueJays game last year when we played the Yanks, and I have been to a Junior hockey game in Waterloo On. They love their hockey here!!! And NO, they don't live in igloos! :hysterical:

ps; something else I've never seen before today...it will be on TSN sports channels all night tonight. There was a serious bench clearing brawl in the middle of the field. When it was over, one player from Montreal was 'disqualified', and walked off the field with a ref. Then, they added up all of the penalites against Montreal for starting the brawl, and it totalled 45 yards!! They nailed 'em with a 45 yd penalty!! Wacky!!

Hope you all had a safe 9/11. :salute:

BIKEBOY

Ok, enough of that. Today I went to my first CFL Canadian football game in Hamilton, Ontario. The hometeam Tigercats played the visitors from Montreal. I want to relay my experience to all of you south of the border that may have never seen a game from up here and may not know of the differences from our NFL.

First I want to start by saying before the game they had a moment of silence for us down home....9/11. That was very COOL! People here were equally sketched out out on that fateful morning...believe me when I tell you that!

OK...now to the game. First thing you notice is that the field is an extra ten yards long. They move the goalposts to flush with each goal-line. Then the yards you lose in the end zone they add to the center of the field. So, the field goes 10,20,30,40,50,-C-50,40,30,20,10. There is a Centerline. That is really weird and takes getting used to. Then, they tell me the ball is slightly larger than that of the NFL? They score as we do, but there are only 3 downs. They also allow a punt or kickoff reciever 5 yards around him as sort of a safety zone to catch the ball, then after it's caught, you can rush him! Crazy, right??? The penalty if you 'invade' that space is called "No Yards"... I cannot remember what the penalty yardage is for it however. Now, it gets crazier. When they kick a field goal and it's good, then the game carries on as ours does. But, if the goal attempt is wide either direction, an opposing player can run it out of the end zone if he catches it! This freaked me out! It does keep the game going much quicker, I must say. I also noticed that if the field goal attempt is from way out, and missed...the opposing player catches the ball and takes a knee, which brings it all the way back out there for them to drive the other way. So, if it's a short missed field goal, they will take their chances running it out past where it was kicked from. Oh yeah, both teams reside on the same sideline. My buddy that took me to the game is a 60 yo. Canadian and I teased him that they just have to be different here, don't they!! Lol... :hysterical:

Hamilton Ontario is an old steel manufacturing town. Most of the business is gone now to China...surprise! But, what's really freaky too, is that our Pittsburgh Steelers, (steel town), team jerseys are exactly the same color as the TigerCats, yellow and gold. Coincidence? I think not. Copycat? Perhaps! That was sort of strange to me too. All in all, I must say that I had a great time, and the weather was outstanding today for football.

So, now in my two year stay here in Toronto, I have been to a CFL game, two MapleLeaf hockey games, one Toronto Raptors game, when Chris Bosch was still there. We went to a BlueJays game last year when we played the Yanks, and I have been to a Junior hockey game in Waterloo On. They love their hockey here!!! And NO, they don't live in igloos! :hysterical:

ps; something else I've never seen before today...it will be on TSN sports channels all night tonight. There was a serious bench clearing brawl in the middle of the field. When it was over, one player from Montreal was 'disqualified', and walked off the field with a ref. Then, they added up all of the penalites against Montreal for starting the brawl, and it totalled 45 yards!! They nailed 'em with a 45 yd penalty!! Wacky!!

BIKEBOY

Welcome to Canada BB....We took people in to our home on Sep 11th 01 they were

stranded at the airport...They've since bought a summer home from me and now stay

here 6 months of the year...We are family now.

BIKEBOY

I heard in canada the quarter back doesn't throw the ball he piggy backs the closest player and they run him in :hysterical:

Archived