TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Treadware on the 2011 F1 G2s

Ezareth

I have 3500 miles of "spirited" driving on my GT500 with probably half of that on the highway doing 80-100 Mph and the other half doing launches from light to light and I see very little wear on my tires, maybe 1/5 to 1/4 of the tire is gone if that.

The reason I'm asking is this:

Second Set

Granted 4 tires don't cost $3072(Try $1600+ shipping at Tirerack.com) but only 4500 kilometers and it already needed new tires? What were they doing burnouts?

Anyways how are your tires holding up so far? I'm planning on getting at least 15K out of mine.

I have ~2600 miles of similar driving and I would say 1/4 to 1/3 of the usable tread is gone. I would like to get 10K miles from a set and at this point I think I may barely get there.

In my experience the road surfaces have a lot to do with tire wear - more miles on asphalt, significantly less on concrete.

Not sure why the tires on the test car at the link you provided needed early replacement - presumably heavy track use? See OTOH this review:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/27/2011-ford-shelby-gt500-first-drive/

Quote (about halfway down the page, just above the tire picture):

SVT engineers said that although they're about as close as you can get to a race tire, in their tread testing, they managed about 15,000 miles before hitting the first tread-depth wear marker

I have 10,000 miles on mine in 8 weeks. 5500 miles was on a trip to the New England states and their road are in terrible condition. I was very worried about poping a tire on these road and no spare. However the tires look great and held up well so far. Had one flat tire (nail pincture) and I plugged it myself and just kept going. I will measure the tread depth this week and see where they are but visually the look like new.

Archived