TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brenspeed Tunes... Great!

So I finally bought some Brenspeed tunes a few weeks ago. Got the first set in about a week. Brenspeed said they don't do "torque" tunes or "race" tunes (more on that later), just tunes optimized for each octane level. Ok, so be it. So I got 87, 91 and 93 octane. $125, plus unlimited retunes with the purchase of tune-required parts from them.

Loaded them up and... well to start, the serial number was wrong so they wouldn't load onto my programmer, but I called Doug there and he had the serial number corrected almost instantly and emailed me another set. Okay... Loaded them up and... uh-oh... NOT GOOD! There was a absolutely flat bog to 3k and then it reared up and took off! Nice boost at 3k, but it was flat dead to that point. This is the early afternoon before Club Clash at Bandimere, mind you. I call them up and they said, oh, your throttle body is dirty. Really?! Respecting the "troubleshooting" process, I stopped by Checker on the way to the track, got some TB cleaner and wiped it down good. Barely a spot on the rag. Took off, same thing. I thought, well maybe I'm just crazy and the massive boost at 3k is just making it feel like it's bogging before.

I get to the track, ran my first run... great launch... 16.07... and I usually ran 14.7ish WITHOUT a tune! Man was I pissed. Loaded the 87 tune and before I could even take off, several people said, dude, your car doesn't sound right. Loaded the stock tune back up and ran a crap launch and finishline lifting 14.96. Not stellar for me, but MUCH better than 16!

Got a hold of them Monday morning. No, you need to take the TB OFF and clean it all the way, they said. FINE, but I asked, so wait a minute, if that IS the fix, are you telling me I need to completely remove my TB every 3-5k miles to clean it for these tunes to work? They said, yes. Good G*d. So I did... same problem. Here's the kicker... Then they say, oh well the tune files sometimes get corrupted in transfer, let us send them again. They did, I loaded them, it's great. Massive improvement in throttle body response, and a great butt dyno improvement all the way through the power range. So WHY THE HELL wouldn't they just resend them to start with, instead of having me jump through numerous flaming hoops and wasting a night at the track!! ARGH!

So all and all I highly recommend Brenspeed TUNES... I DO NOT recommend their CUSTOMER SERVICE. To be fair Doug there was very helpful and said had he been helping me from the beginning he would have tried the resend right away, but Chandler, apparently the head honch over there, just gave me attitude the whole time and told me how it must be my car since "they do so many of these" that there was no way the tune could be wrong. Well it was.

That said, even though they said they don't do "torque" tunes or "race" tunes. After all this was said and fixed, Doug sent me a "race" tune (for my troubles) saying it was something they don't usually do. Loaded that up last night and it's even a bit better. No ping as far as I can tell either. Looking forward to Club Clash again tonight... we'll see where we land.

Here ends my rant/review.

Ya, before this event, I was a STRONG proponent of tuning. I had Evolution Performance tunes before and they were great. I however should say that I called them back when it came time to buy tunes again and they told me that to get 3 tunes for $750!! I said, now wait a minute, 5 years ago, I bought a programmer, 3 tunes and a C&L Cast CAI for like $600 TOTAL from you. And now, a returning customer and just 3 tunes cost $150 MORE than that?! The response I got was... a pause... and then,"3 tunes are $750". My response was no thanks, and click.

I then talked for a good long time with Doug at Brenspeed and another guy (forget his name) at AmericanMuscle/Bamachips. Both of them were very comparable in price. Brenspeed again, was $125 for 3 tunes and unlimited retunes with the purchase of tune-required parts from them. AM/Bama was $150 for lifetime tunes... period. Neither of which was anywhere NEAR the $750 mark from EvoPerform. Got a really good sense of knowledge from both Brenspeed and AM/Bama, but went with Brenspeed for their reputation of consistency. Well didn't exactly pan out, but all and all it worked out in the end.

I've heard other folks curse email tunes because of them having problems like I did, but honestly it sounds to me like many of those folks simply had corrupted files and either the tuner or them never considered that possibility.

I'll let you know if I see any good gains at the track tonight. Won't be massive, but should be a nice lil boost.

Ya, before this event, I was a STRONG proponent of tuning. I had Evolution Performance tunes before and they were great. I however should say that I called them back when it came time to buy tunes again and they told me that to get 3 tunes for $750!! I said, now wait a minute, 5 years ago, I bought a programmer, 3 tunes and a C&L Cast CAI for like $600 TOTAL from you. And now, a returning customer and just 3 tunes cost $150 MORE than that?! The response I got was... a pause... and then,"3 tunes are $750". My response was no thanks, and click.

I then talked for a good long time with Doug at Brenspeed and another guy (forget his name) at AmericanMuscle/Bamachips. Both of them were very comparable in price. Brenspeed again, was $125 for 3 tunes and unlimited retunes with the purchase of tune-required parts from them. AM/Bama was $150 for lifetime tunes... period. Neither of which was anywhere NEAR the $750 mark from EvoPerform. Got a really good sense of knowledge from both Brenspeed and AM/Bama, but went with Brenspeed for their reputation of consistency. Well didn't exactly pan out, but all and all it worked out in the end.

I've heard other folks curse email tunes because of them having problems like I did, but honestly it sounds to me like many of those folks simply had corrupted files and either the tuner or them never considered that possibility.

I'll let you know if I see any good gains at the track tonight. Won't be massive, but should be a nice lil boost.

Have fun at the track, I'm interested to hear and I guess I should get more involved in the track events..didn't even know this was happening!!

Ya, sorry if I've not mentioned it. I've been doing it since we moved here 3 years ago. Drag racing gets a bit mundane, but I still like going once a month or so and hanging out with familiar faces. It's called Club Clash. You just register a car club... Cough-SBC-Cough... and then you all come out and bracket race. Then keep points by a 5 car team from each club and individual points as well. It's not very competitive though. More just for fun and to get down the track a few times a night. I've been racing Denver Mustang Club this summer. They'll take all the Mustangers they can get. You should come check it out!

Ya, sorry if I've not mentioned it. I've been doing it since we moved here 3 years ago. Drag racing gets a bit mundane, but I still like going once a month or so and hanging out with familiar faces. It's called Club Clash. You just register a car club... Cough-SBC-Cough... and then you all come out and bracket race. Then keep points by a 5 car team from each club and individual points as well. It's not very competitive though. More just for fun and to get down the track a few times a night. I've been racing Denver Mustang Club this summer. They'll take all the Mustangers they can get. You should come check it out!

Ok I get the hint.....go out to the site and put it up on the reccomended events let's see where it goes. I know some of the folks are into the drags, I on the other hand have not been down a trackin over 30 years so I am to say the least RUSTY!!!! Look forward to updates at breakfast...

Ok I get the hint.....go out to the site and put it up on the reccomended events let's see where it goes. I know some of the folks are into the drags, I on the other hand have not been down a trackin over 30 years so I am to say the least RUSTY!!!! Look forward to updates at breakfast...

No worries. It's not competitive really. Rusty often times wins it! It's just a hoot (for 14 seconds) to go down the track!

For whatever its worth.....a ts member I spoke with has a brenspeed tune and his car wont pass inspection.

He has to reload the Shelby tune each year before he takes the car in....

it failed this year when he forgot.

My Evolution tune, purchased over 2 years ago has never had such issues. Same State Inspection.

Fair enough, but I'd have an Evo tune myself if they weren't 5 TIMES as expensive as the more popular competition.

I hear that......I dont know whats up with their prices......I think I paid $450 for 3 tunes, the SCT tuner and a couple of dyno pulls

and I still wasnt thrilled.

But the tune has been great.

Okay, since we're solidly on this topic now... I read what you said about the Evolution Performance "package deals" and I said to myself, I should call again and MAKE SURE that is the case. Just got off the phone with Kent over there and my brain is now Jello.

$399.99 for a programmer and 3 tunes... but according to him you don't need 3 tunes, which is beside the point. And YES, each tune is $250. Let me just stop and say, you ever have one of those conversations where you swear the person on the other end of the phone doesn't understand the language you are speaking? I mean, I'm downright baffled after I spoke with him. This was the conversation, paraphrased and minus me repeating myself several times to be sure I heard him right.

Me - I'd like 3 emailed tunes, no tuner... is that really $250 each or $750 total?

Kent - Yes, but what do you need 3 tunes for?

Me - ...never mind why. You are selling a tuner for $399.99 with 3 tunes... if I say KEEP the tuner, just email THOSE 3 tunes, how can you charge me $350 MORE?!

Kent - Well we make money on the programmer.

Me - HUH?! How can you MAKE MORE money on a programmer by adding it to 3 tunes and then charging $350 LESS?!

Kent - Well thats how we make money on the tuners...

And thats about the point when I noticed blood dripping from my ear and nose and I said, great, fine, I get it, I'll pass. Have a good one.

He also tried to convince me that Brenspeed and AM/Bama ONLY use SCT value files. They do not dyno test any of their tunes.

What am I missing here? I mean really?!

My eyes are bleeding from reading that! What the :censored: is wrong with him?

Yes, But I'm sorry, I did leave out an important... albeit equally as perplexing part.

At that one point he said, "What do you need 3 tunes for? You don't need 3 tunes."

To this I'm confused. It's very common to buy and have available 3 tunes. It's probably not a coincidence that most tuners hold 3 tunes. Personally, I wanted an 87 or 89 octane tune for low octane areas or bad gas, but to still have my throttle response and such. Thats 1. I also wanted a 91 octane "Street" tune. Thats 2. And I wanted a 91 or 93 octane "race" tune. Thats 3. Is that so our of the ordinary?

So he then says okay, I'll give you a deal... $250 for the first 2 tunes and $100 extra for the race tune. Now were too $350 for 3 emailed tunes... I'm like OKAY! Now what was all that talk before about $750?! never mind the fact that if you can just "give me a deal" and knock of $400 or over 50%, JUST like that... something isn't right in the first place. You know what I mean? Frankly after all that I'm still not going to buy tunes from them. Maybe they are massively better than Brenspeed and Bama and everyone else on the planet, but after this second round of run around I just had on the phone with them... There is NO WAY I would buy anything from them again!

I'm just dumbfounded. It's really disappointing.

As upset as you are after talking to him, it is actually pretty funny to read about...not funny that you are frustrated, but the fact that he sounds so dumb and makes no sense at all. I wonder how many people have called and he's sold his 3 tune package to for $750? Those are the real people to laugh at!

Yes, But I'm sorry, I did leave out an important... albeit equally as perplexing part.

At that one point he said, "What do you need 3 tunes for? You don't need 3 tunes."

To this I'm confused. It's very common to buy and have available 3 tunes. It's probably not a coincidence that most tuners hold 3 tunes. Personally, I wanted an 87 or 89 octane tune for low octane areas or bad gas, but to still have my throttle response and such. Thats 1. I also wanted a 91 octane "Street" tune. Thats 2. And I wanted a 91 or 93 octane "race" tune. Thats 3. Is that so our of the ordinary?

So he then says okay, I'll give you a deal... $250 for the first 2 tunes and $100 extra for the race tune. Now were too $350 for 3 emailed tunes... I'm like OKAY! Now what was all that talk before about $750?! never mind the fact that if you can just "give me a deal" and knock of $400 or over 50%, JUST like that... something isn't right in the first place. You know what I mean? Frankly after all that I'm still not going to buy tunes from them. Maybe they are massively better than Brenspeed and Bama and everyone else on the planet, but after this second round of run around I just had on the phone with them... There is NO WAY I would buy anything from them again!

I'm just dumbfounded. It's really disappointing.

Wow........Fred was a knucklehead.......sounds like they have mr magoo answering the phone now....

here is a little inside info.....Evolution uses old John Lund tunes....what I mean by old is.......Lund is constantly making new tunes, improving on the old ones...

and he doesnt send his updates to Evo.....he sells them for a while himself....updates it and then selldsthem the old one he just finished peddling.

So in essense......Evo's tunes are Lunds tunes but not the latest.

I say try contacting John Lund and see if you can get a better deal from him.

You will have a more updated version than Evo is selling and there just might be a better deal......and more comfort cause you will be dealing with someone

who knows what they are talking about....

just a suggestion....either way good luck......

My next planned mod was to get a tune...I better read this thread again when I'm not drinking... :hysterical:

This is the first negative I've seen about Brenspeed...which is what I was planning to get...now I'm not so sure...

Not being biased or anything, but I have had 3x Brenspeed tunes for the past 2 years and haven't had one single problem...

I've taken the car to several open track events and been on a couple of different drag strips without a single issue...

Granted, if I had a corrupt tune from the start, I would have been a little "concerned"...

Liked them so much, I purchased the same package w/SCT tuner for my wife's 2006 Mustang V-6 to make her daily commute just a little more fun...

Didn't tell her I "tuned" her car, but she did ask me why she was chirping the tires when she let out the clutch for the first couple of drives :shift:

Gregg

07SGT0547

I'm convinced and maybe a tune might be a good idea for a while till I can afford the S/C....so who is the contact at Breenspeed for the proper tuner and proper perfomance tunes???

I have always dealt with Chandler or Brent.

I'm glad you all could get a laugh at my expense! :jackinbox: just kidding... but seriously.

Nah, I'd still give my overall experience with Brenspeed a thumbs up. The tunes now are great, it just took a while to convince them to get me the uncorrupted ones. I remember someone on either this forum or another saying from day one "you have a corrupted file". I just wish they would have "troubleshot" in THAT direction first.

Had a hard time hooking up at the track last night so the times weren't spectacularly better, but I know it's a faster car now. Probably a couple tenths. I was driving like a dumbass last night and I still bested my previous times by about .05. If I'd have been hooking up or launching right my guess would have been .1-.3 better. Bring the drag radials next time too. :shift:

I've been running Brenspeed tunes for over 4 years now, and couldn't be more pleased. If you live in an area that requires emissions testing, then you need to return your car back to stock, or have them give you an emissions tune as one of the three tunes they send you. They turn off the rear 02 sensors for their performance tunes.

I had them install my Whipple a few months ago, and got a custom dyno session, where they gave me a 91 oct tune, 93 oct tune, and a 93 emissions tune. Even though I don't have emissions testing here I got it just in case I ever move. During my stay there I was quite impressed with their facility, and service.

Several years back I won a gift certificate for EVO at Shelbyfest and the SCT tuner and tune was one of the things I received with the certificate. At the time they only sent me one tune pre loaded no email back-up saying that was all they had. Before I even loaded the tune I ordered 3 tunes from Breenspeed over-writing EVO's single tune. I have an 87 octane, 91 octane & and a 93 octane tune and I am very happy with my Breespeed tunes.

Archived