TEAM SHELBY FORUM

September Build Schedule

Madlock

Has anybody with an on-order unit been seeing any progress with scheduling, production and/or delivery of VIN-assigned units lately?

We have a recently built '11 GT500 Coupe due to arrive in a few days. Grabber Blue with SVT P/Pkg. So, they're still coming along - even if slowly.

Has anybody with an on-order unit been seeing any progress with scheduling, production and/or delivery of VIN-assigned units lately?

Madlock,

I received a VIN on 8/31 from the Dealer, with an indication of a mid-September production. Haven't seen the sticker pop-up on Ford's website yet, but probably soon. I'm guessing a mid-October delivery to California. However, I'm now thinking about holding on to my 2010 and waiting for a 2012... with the expected power and performance upgrades to respond to the new Z28.

Thanks.

I too have been thinking about whether Z28 will come to market before 2012 GT500 is settled-upon, especially since BOSS302 and the FR blower pack were announced since placing my 2011 order. I'd really have a tough time justifying the even-higher premium a 2012 model is likely to command, and even now I struggle with whether I hedged my bet in the wrong direction by not going to the GT as a much more affordable stop-gap until more becomes clear.

Who knows? Maybe mine won't be slated for delivery before winter sets in - if so, I too would likely shift my order to a 2012 unit rather than pay now for a vehicle I won't be able to drive until next spring.

The new focus on "as much as we can deliver" rather than "as little as we can get away with" is sure a nice change, but it's quickly eroding any product longevity one used to be able to count-on for at least a year or so.

So much depends on that (rumored) Z28. Doesn't it? :)

I had a build date of 9/6. Got my VIN 1-2 weeks before. Called SVT hotline yesterday and the car is built and has a delivery date at the dealer of 9/28. Window sticker came online 9/8. Hotline said the window sticker will not show up until the car is in its final production steps which matches my experience.

Madlock,

I received a VIN on 8/31 from the Dealer, with an indication of a mid-September production. Haven't seen the sticker pop-up on Ford's website yet, but probably soon. I'm guessing a mid-October delivery to California. However, I'm now thinking about holding on to my 2010 and waiting for a 2012... with the expected power and performance upgrades to respond to the new Z28.

Madlock,

My VIN sticker popped-up this morning. My best guess at delivery is week of Oct. 4th - 8th. I'll let you know when it happens. Now it's decisions, decisions....

Madlock,

My VIN sticker popped-up this morning. My best guess at delivery is week of Oct. 4th - 8th. I'll let you know when it happens. Now it's decisions, decisions....

Hah! If I read of any train derailing between Detroit and the Continental Divide, I'm going to presume you're stalling for more time. :)

Though, to be fair, if a dealer had treated me fairly, I'd have a hard time stiffing them with a unit they'd used-up an allocation (and cash flow) to have built for me - especially given that they're not high-volume movers like Fusions or Escapes.

Of course, I speak only for myself, but I figure one a VIN exists, I'm pretty-much ethically bound to go through with it - or to at least find terms amenable to the dealer if it's going to stick them with my unit in their inventory, especially since I maxed-out the window sticker on them.

But with MY kind of luck, some marketing guy in Dearborn is sitting on hold on the Batphone with AAI, waiting to hear that my shifter is bolted on so he can know when it's okay to go ahead and announce Ford's 2012 retort to Z28. :)

Rotsa ruck, my friend!

Hah! If I read of any train derailing between Detroit and the Continental Divide, I'm going to presume you're stalling for more time. smile.gif

Though, to be fair, if a dealer had treated me fairly, I'd have a hard time stiffing them with a unit they'd used-up an allocation (and cash flow) to have built for me - especially given that they're not high-volume movers like Fusions or Escapes.

Of course, I speak only for myself, but I figure one a VIN exists, I'm pretty-much ethically bound to go through with it - or to at least find terms amenable to the dealer if it's going to stick them with my unit in their inventory, especially since I maxed-out the window sticker on them.

But with MY kind of luck, some marketing guy in Dearborn is sitting on hold on the Batphone with AAI, waiting to hear that my shifter is bolted on so he can know when it's okay to go ahead and announce Ford's 2012 retort to Z28. smile.gif

Rotsa ruck, my friend!

Madlock,

I hear what you're saying regarding ethics and I agree. However, my dealer would not commit in advance to a specified sales price and/or trade-in value for my 2010 at the time the order was entered, only saying that "We'd work something out", which left them with an open-ended offer to sell. If we CAN work something out, I'll be a happy 2011 SVTPP owner. If the dealer wants MSRP+ and/or offers a steep discount on my 2010... well then I might have reason to wait. This time next month I'll let you know.

I just picked up my 8/24 build car today. After it was loaded on a railcar it took about 3 days to get down here to the Houston area. The railcar sat at a switching yard for 2 days and then was moved to the offloading facility and my Shelby was offloaded on 9/5. It sat at the offload lot for 4 days enjoying the several inches of rain we had from TS Hermine :banghead: Finally it was delivered to my dealer yesterday and I picked it up this morning.

WELL WORTH THE WAIT! :happy feet:

If anyone is getting a car delivered to the Western US it will probably end up being handed off to Union Pacific. If you know your railcar number you can track its progress by calling 800-877-5123. The digititized ladies voice will ask for an equipment number and then you say your railcar. It gets a little frustrating as you have to repeat yourself a few times and some of the rail yards are hard to understand.

post-29084-128416325025_thumb.jpg

post-29084-128416325025_thumb.jpg

Madlock,

I hear what you're saying regarding ethics and I agree. However, my dealer would not commit in advance to a specified sales price and/or trade-in value for my 2010 at the time the order was entered, only saying that "We'd work something out", which left them with an open-ended offer to sell. If we CAN work something out, I'll be a happy 2011 SVTPP owner. If the dealer wants MSRP+ and/or offers a steep discount on my 2010... well then I might have reason to wait. This time next month I'll let you know.

I'm afraid I may not have come across as I meant to – and I certainly didn't mean to imply that you'd have anything to justify (to me or anybody) regardless of your decision. Unfortunately, for each terrific dealer, there are as many or more whocling to practices that have helped to create the stereotypes that saddle them all.

Did your dealer order to your spec, or did you just happen to like what they had already ordered? Mine has actually been terrific. Not only did we agree to a reasonable price, but he bumped his own inventory unit behind mine to ensure mine would be built first and – if anything unforeseen happened to allocation, I would at least be assured of receiving mine. I loved seeing Priority: 01 on mycar's DORA.

They were also very good in putting-up with my decision-making disorder in choosing between the GT and GT500. Not only had we agreed to pricing either way that I was free to choose from, the dealer committed to a very reasonable FUTURE trade-in value on one of my vehicles it'll stand behind until my GT500 delivery date – whenever that happens to be – and if I so choose to trade it at that time.

The key to that detail for me is the dealer's willingness to stand behind Ford's ability to deliver rather than shifting the burden to me. It's not only indisputably fair to me as a customer, but as someone who owns more than a few shares of Ford stock as much as amatter of principle as profit, I'm thrilled to encounter dealers who represent Ford so strongly within the local monopolies entrusted to them.

The sad fact is that too few do – and Ford already has enough of a disadvantage given the uneven field on which it's been made to play against its competitors, not to mention Ford's own rank and file who own a not-so-insignificant share of them, to tolerate any enemies within who treat their territories as rights rather than responsibilities – but that's a whole different harangue altogether. J Sorry if I feel so strongly about it that Iever become "preachy". It wouldn't bethe first time I'd been so-accused.

If the dealer ordered with you in-mind and the expectation you would wait, I certainly hope they at least honor your interest with a reasonable price that's at least somewhere between invoice and sticker. If not, I'd say a deal made in bad faith is no deal at all and I'd be taking any of my future business, including any warranty service, maintenance, and parts elsewhere – especially with the non-product aspectsof FoMoCo having become its greatest remaining weakness.

At the end of the day, for as much tossing and turning as I've done, the fact of the matter is that all of these 2011 GT vs GT500 vs 2012 BOSS302 vs 2012 GT500(?) are all terrific problems to have – and the only "bad"choices are relative to each other, like deciding whether to wear diamonds,emeralds, or rubies. I just find it to be unfamiliar territory given Detroit's 30-year history of "as little as we must" when it comes to year-on-year product improvements compared to the "as much as we can" ethos makers have now embraced.

We used to be able to be relatively confident – absent any awareness of a preannounced platform change – of any car being the state of the art for at least a year or two. They'renow more like PC's – with better, faster, and cheaper versions on the shelf before a new one makes it home. I just hope my first Mustang purchase is able to be what I'd truly like it to be, my very last– and the car I pull out from under a cover in 30 years when nobody can remember what a V8 sounds like.

Wahoo!

The VIN fairy stopped by my dealer with an honest-to-Jesus 17-digit piece of terrific news, and estimated build date of 9/18/2010.

(Wondering to self if I show up at Flat Rock with cash-in-hand how I might be able to convince somebody at the AAI guard house to let me drive it home)

• 1 month later...

Wahoo!

The VIN fairy stopped by my dealer with an honest-to-Jesus 17-digit piece of terrific news, and estimated build date of 9/18/2010.

(Wondering to self if I show up at Flat Rock with cash-in-hand how I might be able to convince somebody at the AAI guard house to let me drive it home)

What was the timefram between you order, VIN assignment, and what I assume is a past delivery date. I ordered my 2011 6 weeks ago and have heard nothing to date. Good news is had a scheduled 10 week pickup (provides she arrives) with the dealer so I still have a littl eless than 4 weeks, but it would be nice to have some sort of information. So anything you can provided would be appreciated.

I also contemplated a 2012 wait, but I bough an 07 GT due to the "fair market value" markup. Besides the (in my opinion) very pleasing changes since 07 I also didn;t want to risk another "fair market value" add-on from a new engine. Or worse a redeign that I don't like.

If you're being met with a "Fair Market Value" markup, you're simply dealing with the wrong dealer. The key question to ask is "Fair? To whom?" The only ones with ANY sort of REAL leverage are those with allocation for one of the 600 or so left to be built in MY 2011 who could order a bespoke car to suit your preferences to a tee. Otherwise, you should certainly be able to find one within $1,000 of dealer invoice.

Otherwise, they continue to be built at a rate of about 150 units per week - but it's all about which dealers have a unit allocation that can actually be made. Unfortunately, there's no shortage of dealers who will willingly sit on YOUR deposit - and it costs them nothing to hope the order they place finds a way of being built.

The timeline of my car from order to deliver is listed above. The most frustrating part was my car having been subject to being delivered on the following week's train - I presume by the order in which it happened to have been parked and loaded.

Nowadays, I'd have absolutely NO qualms about buying from a dealer anywhere who can have the car shipped to you for a few hundred dollars. The ADM (additional dealer markup) is bullsh*t, although I suppose it's like the story of the kid who found a razor blade in his Halloween apple - it never happened, but everybody acts like it did. Just ask the dealer how much above sticker he'd pay YOU for one you'd have trucked-in that you bought at invoice. :)

There's about five minutes - when there's only a hundred or so left to be made and before the next model year is announced, that dealers think they've cornered the market. To buyers with another few weeks of patience, once the 2012's are announced, even the most ludicrous dealers begin treating their on-hand stock like inventory that must be moved like any other.

Do you know your color/option preferences?

If you're being met with a "Fair Market Value" markup, you're simply dealing with the wrong dealer. The key question to ask is "Fair? To whom?" The only ones with ANY sort of REAL leverage are those with allocation for one of the 600 or so left to be built in MY 2011 who could order a bespoke car to suit your preferences to a tee. Otherwise, you should certainly be able to find one within $1,000 of dealer invoice.

Do you know your color/option preferences?

Thanks, sorry missed the dates listed. So it appears as if I am right on target, although I would am patient and could wait a couple weeks. Great part of Maryland is while it snows it is not a white out. be plenty of driving to do during the winter.

I didn't pay a markup for the 2011, I was refering to the markup in 07 when the Shelby was released. It was (and very happily now) the reason I only bought the GT.

As for the 2011, it is Sterling Grey, with silver stripes. Only add-on was the electronic package. Would have likes the SVT, but for me those small stripes just didn't look right.

Oh boy oh boy!

Mines scheduled to delivered Oct 26!!!

Oops. That's today.

Still on loading dock. Who woulda expected it!

Yep. Now is the worst part. Some S.O.B. is destined to decide it's time for his union-mandated coffee break at the very moment the car must be loaded - or catch the next available train the next week. At least that's what felt like happened to mine.

My original delivery date was scheduled to be 10/1 - and it was then pushed back to 10/6 and then 10/16. It ultimately arrived on 10/12. There's a lot that's just left up to "the process" of transit, from rail car loading to whenever it happens to find its way aboard a car carrier from the terminal yard.

This is sort of a general reply to some of the comments in the thread. If you guys are waiting for the 2012 because production of them could start in 3-4 months time don't expect to actually have them until next June. We, as a group, tend to go through this every year expecting vehicles built in March/April to show up shortly after builds are complete. However, every year the deliveries are taking months and months to complete and we end up seeing a few early build vehicles in June and the balance in July or August. I've watched this happen for a few years now so I wouldn't expect any different for the 2012. At this point I'd probably wait for a 2012 as well but with tempered expectations of vehicle arrival.

It doesn't seem likely that Ford will raise the bar too much with the Z/28 coming out. I would hope at some point they go with the TVS but I'm not sure this is the year for it. Possibly for the 2013 model as that one will come out shortly after the Z28 is released and I just can't see Ford raising the bar before the Z/28 is even into final production and specs.

Funny as it may be got a note from the dealer that I should have the VIN next week. Weird part is being told they expect a December 10th delivery. Reading what I don't expect it will be that long, but I gues stranger things have happened.

I certainly hope for the best for you and I don't mean to be a Debbie downer, but unless there's something queer going on that I've just never heard of anywhere else, what the dealer's telling you just isn't logical.

When the dealer placed your order, the first thing it would have received is a VOC, usually within 24-48 hours. A VOC is only an acknowledgement that Ford acknowledges the dealer requested a vehicle be built and is confirming receipt of said order - hence Vehicle Order Confirmation.

It then disappears into the mass data processing queue (the old mainframe applications through which Ford communicates almost ENTIRELY to its dealers is as scary as it is old) until the dealer receives a DORA, usually once or twice each week. If the VOC is "We received your order", the DORA is "This is the order we received". It's a Dealer Order Request Acknowledgment.

Even if the dealer receives a DORA, whether or not Ford will actually build the car is entirely conditional upon allocation. The DORA is an "IF we build it, we agree to do so as described - and under these terms (features/price)" letter. It's NOT a commitment to build. If a DORA is forthcoming, it's almost invariably received within a week of of the VOC (and the dealer placing the original order).

From that point, it disappears as Ford processes the myriad orders from all dealers that have reached the DORA stage and sequences each of the vehicles - at which point it's assigned a VIN and is queued (logically, and then physically) for actual manufacture. Dealers may not receive a VIN for weeks (as that's the point at which Ford has said, "We're giving this baby a social security number because we know it will eventually be born".

And it's just before this point most orders in limbo linger - almost always due to dealers who oversold their allocation and are hoping one "opens up". If a dealer can convince a customer to place a deposit, it's no more skin off his nose than however long it takes to build a Shelby in the computer and hope Ford may eventually say, "Yes." Sometimes dealers trade allocations like they do actual vehicles in their own sort of cooperative or pseudo black market. Some dealers are eager to have the first unit built in their showroom as soon as possible. Others don't want to carry the inventory on their books and would rather hang on to their allocation to perhaps sell or swap to another dealer - or to keep their options open if they happen to be in a market where buyers tend to order bespoke rather than buy off-the-rack.

What doesn't make sense is that VIN assignment is really the trigger that sets-off everything else in terms of scheduling - all they way through an eventual estimated delivery date (which will likely change several times), as it may be subject to material holds and other production-related rescheduling, delays, and so forth. If he has a delivery date in December, he should also have a VIN to give you.

Maybe he does have the VIN. Maybe his Ford rep has garnered another allocation for him or another dealer is having the car built on his behalf (or maybe he's just hoping against hope that he'll receive an allocation from the pool of unsold, unallocated units remaining of the 600-or-so vehicles left to be built for the 2011 MY).

Given how long your dealer's kept you waiting, I'd press for clarity on these matters - and exactly how he's having your car made, including anything that may cause it to differ from the garden variety Taurus. As I wrote, unless I'm completely off my rocker, this just doesn't make sense to me.

Archived