TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 tops the Vette

Whammer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for post, it was a good read. Just so we can skip about 80 posts and get right to the important issues:

A 2011 GT500 might compare with a 2010 Grandsport, but it has no shot against against a 10 year old WS6 TA. The author is clearly biased against GM/Chevy as he didn't mention the GT500s 1-2 shift problem and the lame stock tires that we all know make the GT500 undrivable. Why did they only compare the GT500 to the cheap Corvette that costs $10K more? If they had compared it to a Z06 for $25K more or even the ZR1 for just $50K more it would have shown how much the GT500 really sucks. Ford isn't honoring the warranty on my WS6 TA - they don't care. :banghead:

Thanks for post, it was a good read. Just so we can skip about 80 posts and get right to issues:

A 2011 GT500 might compare with a 2010 Grandsport, but it has no shot against against a 10 year old WS6 TA. The author is clearly biased against GM/Chevy as he didn't mention the GT500s 1-2 shift problem and the lame stock tires that we all know make the GT500 undrivable. Why did they only compare the GT500 to the cheap Corvette that costs $10K more? If they had compared it to a Z06 for $25K more or even the ZR1 at measly $50K more it would have shown how much the GT500 really sucks. Ford isn't honoring the warranty on my WS6 TA - they don't care. :banghead:

Why would FORD honor a warranty on a Trans Am?

Why would FORD honor a warranty on a Trans Am?

Attempt at a joke - it certainly isn't worth your time, and would likely be dangerous to your mental health, but if you did read all the GT500 vs <insert you favorite GM vehicle, or any much more expensive car> posts of the last few months you might understand the particular irrational biases of a non-GT500, non-Shelby, non-Mustang, non-Ford even, owning prolific poster that I was trying to capture to head off another such thread...

Attempt at a joke - it certainly isn't worth your time, and would likely be dangerous to your mental health, but if you did read all the GT500 vs <insert you favorite GM vehicle, or any much more expensive car> posts of the last few months you might understand the particular irrational biases of a non-GT500, non-Shelby, non-Mustang, non-Ford even, owning prolific poster that I was trying to capture to head off another such thread...

Amen brother...

A touch more than LAST YEAR's grand sport on the skidpad, and weaker everywhere else except to 100, which was equal, and trap-speed, which it was stronger in. I am not seeing the "tops the Vette" you mentioned in most areas.

Maybe if we compare THIS YEAR's Grand Sport with MRSC with the G2 tires to THIS YEAR's GT500 SVTPP with G2 tires, we can have an accurate comparison. Until then, it's just a game of which one you want to look better on paper. The 'vette is a sports car, the GT500 is a muscle car. Totally different animals and just because the top of the line 2011 GT500 with all the options can beat the medium 'vette without the optional packages, from last year, in ONE aspect doesn't mean anything. FWIW, .96G is the weakest I have ever seen a GS pull.

Also of note is that the 'vette DID out-handle the Shelby in the Slalom. Sweeping corners the GT500 might best it, but if you have to move the wheel, the 'vette looks like it won in that test.

As to the crack on my WS6's warranty being honored at 100K+ miles. Well, if GM wants to do that for me, good on them. Don't hate.

I used to own nothing but Fords, as did my family. I even worked for Ford as a sales rep back in 2005. I have nothing against them, just like I have nothing against Honda, Nissan, etc. However, Ford doesn't make a sports car. Pretending the GT500 is one is just that. It's a great car with a few bugs (like most great cars). If you own one, go enjoy it.

As to the price difference, it comes down to about $200 a month on the note between a Z06 and a GT500. That is roughly 6 hours a month extra work to pay for. Not a big deal. If you are just going to cut a check for the car, yeah, 10-15K is a pretty big deal I think.

*Currently I drive an Infiniti, sold the WS6 because...suprise! It fell apart like most GM cars from that era.

At any rate, you got me in your thread like you wanted. I am hoping that you had some sort of logical debate or point to make by it.

I tried to compare both cars until I actual sat in both of them. After that, I realized I might as well compare a minivan to an F250 because both can seat more than 2 people. It just doesn't work. 2 separate purposes with these cars. and they approach it in 2 different ways.

:shift:

I got YOU in my thread??? You think this was my motive? You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself because I don't know who the hell you are!

I just posted it because I thought some would like to read it. I got attacked in another thread for being a GT500 hater (despite owning one). Looks like one can't win around here. :)

I got YOU in my thread??? You think this was my motive? You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself because I don't know who the hell you are!

I just posted it because I thought some would like to read it. I got attacked in another thread for being a GT500 hater (despite owning one). Looks like one can't win around here. :)

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

Thanks for post, it was a good read. Just so we can skip about 80 posts and get right to the important issues:

A 2011 GT500 might compare with a 2010 Grandsport, but it has no shot against against a 10 year old WS6 TA. The author is clearly biased against GM/Chevy as he didn't mention the GT500s 1-2 shift problem and the lame stock tires that we all know make the GT500 undrivable. Why did they only compare the GT500 to the cheap Corvette that costs $10K more? If they had compared it to a Z06 for $25K more or even the ZR1 for just $50K more it would have shown how much the GT500 really sucks. Ford isn't honoring the warranty on my WS6 TA - they don't care. :banghead:

Priceless!

I'll say I think the drivers didn't know how to drive the Shelby and did well in the GS due to launch control. Seriously, 4.4 0-6? 12.6 1/4?

They pulled the curb weights directly out of the manufacturer specs so I wonder how many of those stastics are manufacturer specs and how many of them were their actual test.

I got YOU in my thread??? You think this was my motive? You obviously have a very high opinion of yourself because I don't know who the f**k you are!

Well, now you know exactly who the hell I am, as pertains to this thread. I never got the asterix thing, either. Everyone knows what you are trying to say--so just say it.

The "your" was collective. If you don't think that GHLGT500 wasn't intentionally baiting ME, then you must have missed a few posts along the way and came in on the middle of it. This thread belongs (technically) to the webmaster, and less technically, to everyone who posts in it. I figured posting RIGHT AFTER the huge debate (most of the thread...) referencing me, who I was referring to would be readily seen, and alleviate any concern over who I was addressing. It was not, and did not. I apologize for your confusion.

People here are emotional about defending the GT500 because being technical and defending the GT500 doesn't work out too hot unless you throw price into the equation--and there is the rub. They want to continue comparing it to cars like the M3 and then get upset when someone else compare it to a car that out-performs it for the same price as a MINIMALLY optioned (who would buy that?) M3. Or they pick a test where the GT500 is inferior in every way but one, and then play up that one superiority. Yet the Boss 302 or the regular old GT which cost upwards of 20K less are just "not in the same league" as the GT500 even though they throw 0-60's within .2 seconds and pull .97G in the case of the regular GT.

It's a pick-and choose game similar to cook-book religion. Just as opinionated, too!

Back to the OP's Original Post. I am very impressed that Ford got the GT500 to pull 1.00G in numerous tests. My other question is, how old (miles on the tread) was the 1 year-model old 'vette, in comparison? .96G is very low for that car.

Well, now you know exactly who the hell I am, as pertains to this thread. I never got the asterix thing, either. Everyone knows what you are trying to say--so just say it.

The "your" was collective. If you don't think that GHLGT500 wasn't intentionally baiting ME, then you must have missed a few posts along the way and came in on the middle of it. This thread belongs (technically) to the webmaster, and less technically, to everyone who posts in it. I figured posting RIGHT AFTER the huge debate (most of the thread...) referencing me, who I was referring to would be readily seen, and alleviate any concern over who I was addressing. It was not, and did not. I apologize for your confusion.

People here are emotional about defending the GT500 because being technical and defending the GT500 doesn't work out too hot unless you throw price into the equation--and there is the rub. They want to continue comparing it to cars like the M3 and then get upset when someone else compare it to a car that out-performs it for the same price as a MINIMALLY optioned (who would buy that?) M3. Or they pick a test where the GT500 is inferior in every way but one, and then play up that one superiority. Yet the Boss 302 or the regular old GT which cost upwards of 20K less are just "not in the same league" as the GT500 even though they throw 0-60's within .2 seconds and pull .97G in the case of the regular GT.

It's a pick-and choose game similar to cook-book religion. Just as opinionated, too!

Back to the OP's Original Post. I am very impressed that Ford got the GT500 to pull 1.00G in numerous tests. My other question is, how old (miles on the tread) was the 1 year-model old 'vette, in comparison? .96G is very low for that car.

I think you've got mental issues. Sadly this forum is not going to be able to help you with that. I suggest you seek professional help.

I think you've got mental issues. Sadly this forum is not going to be able to help you with that. I suggest you seek professional help.

Whammer: You have consistantly posted in a manner that appears to be thought (by you) to endear yourself to this forum.

This fan-boy thread meant to turn the tide with those who accused you of hating on the GT500 "even though you own one" was one such attempt (and boy did you get irate when someone changed the topic!). I'm sorry that you are so desperate that everyone here like you. You need to learn to like yourself, and the rest will follow.

Everytime you get a chance you jump on another member hoping to be at the top of the dog-pile with the forum cheering you on (trying to become the protagonist). I have watched you do this in several threads--just jumping in without assessing the situation and trying to "play hero". It's a pathetic attempt at gaining acceptance from what you consider a peer group, and I am not going to sit here and let you accuse others (me in this case) of having "mental issues" while you continue with that behavior.

I have watched you jump on everyone you think you have a chance of getting any support against, and posting "I agree, good points", etc. after those who you think will uplift you. You really need to stop the nut-hugging and knee-jerking and start making your own way.

My entire point here is this: If you want to see someone with issues (self-esteem, acceptance (delusions of persecution, based on a few other posts?), very possibly an addiction somewhere in there that began in your late teens?), your mirror is close at hand.

Further, you just proved my point about the GT500 and it's proponants. No logic at all from you, just pure emotion. On paper, it's DIFFICULT to make the GT500 into a sports car. A muscle car it is.

Darth: I agree it was not. My apologies for my part of it. However, if you're going to say it. Just say it. My .02. I won't say it, if it offends you or others.

Further, you just proved my point about the GT500 and it's proponants. No logic at all from you, just pure emotion. On paper, it's DIFFICULT to make the GT500 into a sports car. A muscle car it is.

The begining of the Motortrend comparison to the Mustang GT terms the M3 as as "On of Germany's most Iconic Sports Cars". It weights nearly the same as the GT, is a2 door, 4 seater, front engine car yet a GT500 will beat it in every performance category so why is the GT00 a muscle car?

The 2011 GT500 is every bit as much of a sports car as the M3 while still being a Muscle car.

When a car is cheaper and peforms better in every category than it's rivals, it is a superior car.

CTS-V + M3 + RS 5

I wouldn't say we're emotional at all, quite the opposite. Most of the guys here are probably twice our age, and have more experience with cars than both of us combined.

Fling explicitives around is emotional. Facts are one thing, opinions are another, and most of us defending these cars actually own one and know a great bit more about them than some magazine that gets a loaner for a week.

The begining of the Motortrend comparison to the Mustang GT terms the M3 as as "On of Germany's most Iconic Sports Cars". It weights nearly the same as the GT, is a2 door, 4 seater, front engine car yet a GT500 will beat it in every performance category so why is the GT00 a muscle car?

The 2011 GT500 is every bit as much of a sports car as the M3 while still being a Muscle car.

When a car is cheaper and peforms better in every category than it's rivals, it is a superior car.

CTS-V + M3 + RS 5

I wouldn't say we're emotional at all, quite the opposite. Most of the guys here are probably twice our age, and have more experience with cars than both of us combined.

Fling explicitives around is emotional. Facts are one thing, opinions are another, and most of us defending these cars actually own one and know a great bit more about them than some magazine that gets a loaner for a week.

Ezareth,

This is a year old... but as the saying goes, more "sauce for the goose". These are the opinions of several professional drivers. It's a good read if you haven't seen it before (and some great video as well).

http://www.motortren..._car/index.html

Point is... there's more to performance than just numbers.

Whammer: You have consistantly posted in a manner that appears to be thought (by you) to endear yourself to this forum.

This fan-boy thread meant to turn the tide with those who accused you of hating on the GT500 "even though you own one" was one such attempt (and boy did you get irate when someone changed the topic!). I'm sorry that you are so desperate that everyone here like you. You need to learn to like yourself, and the rest will follow.

Everytime you get a chance you jump on another member hoping to be at the top of the dog-pile with the forum cheering you on (trying to become the protagonist). I have watched you do this in several threads--just jumping in without assessing the situation and trying to "play hero". It's a pathetic attempt at gaining acceptance from what you consider a peer group, and I am not going to sit here and let you accuse others (me in this case) of having "mental issues" while you continue with that behavior.

I have watched you jump on everyone you think you have a chance of getting any support against, and posting "I agree, good points", etc. after those who you think will uplift you. You really need to stop the nut-hugging and knee-jerking and start making your own way.

My entire point here is this: If you want to see someone with issues (self-esteem, acceptance (delusions of persecution, based on a few other posts?), very possibly an addiction somewhere in there that began in your late teens?), your mirror is close at hand.

Darth: I agree it was not. My apologies for my part of it. However, if you're going to say it. Just say it. My .02. I won't say it, if it offends you or others.

Like I said- you've got mental issues.

I post links, like the one to the topic story, for those who might find it interesting. I can tell you have an overinflated opinion of yourself due to the lengthy replies you post. Obviously you love to hear yourself talk. I suspect that not many others do however.

I'm not really interested in whether others like me or not, least of all anonymous posters on an internet forum.

I strongly urge you seek professional mental help, or get back on the meds you were prescribed.

Insulting someone because YOU made a stupid comment? Wow what ever makes you feel better. :baby:

JWG223 doesn't have mental issues. I think some of you need to get your head out of your GT500s tailpipe. If you think a GT500 with the SVT PP is going to beat a 2011 Grand Sport Vette. You better hope that driver sucks. They are both great cars. I don't see what the problem is. :headscratch: I really hate when people go beyond just being a fan of a car and become fan boys. I'm waiting for someone to come in and say PlayStation blows away Xbox.

JWG223 doesn't have mental issues. I think some of you need to get your head out of your GT500s tailpipe. If you think a GT500 with the SVT PP is going to beat a 2011 Grand Sport Vette. You better hope that driver sucks. They are both great cars. I don't see what the problem is. :headscratch: I really hate when people go beyond just being a fan of a car and become fan boys. I'm waiting for someone to come in and say PlayStation blows away Xbox.

I don't even think the Vette vs. the GT500 is even the issue here. JWG223 seems to be some sort of cyber stalker. The guy seems to be following every post I make and has developed some sort of obsession with me. He's a deeply disturbed individual.

LOL......isn't the natural competitor of the mustang the camaro & challenger (and barracuda if you go back far enough)? How did these GT500 vs 'Vette comparisons get started in the first place? Boredom by magazine editors? The fact that GM's camaro & Chrysler's challenger weren't holding up their end lately?

It's pony car vs. pony car......that's the way to truly compare performance. But, I expect that won't stop this stuff.

CTS-V + M3 + RS 5

The GT500 is a muscle car because it is derived from a pony car, but its power-level just isn't suited to that "class" anymore, really. It uses a SRA, it has 4 seats, it has very narrow tires for its power-level, it is nearly 4,000 with a driver and fuel.

The M3 on the other hand has a a suspension matched to its power level, and has always been a "driver's" car.

It is more about lineage than performance in this case.

LOL......isn't the natural competitor of the mustang the camaro & challenger (and barracuda if you go back far enough)? How did these GT500 vs 'Vette comparisons get started in the first place? Boredom by magazine editors? The fact that GM's camaro & Chrysler's challenger weren't holding up their end lately?

It's pony car vs. pony car......that's the way to truly compare performance. But, I expect that won't stop this stuff.

The price-tag of the mustang eclipsed that of the base 'vette, and so everyone wanted to compare them.

Like I said- you've got mental issues.

I post links, like the one to the topic story, for those who might find it interesting. I can tell you have an overinflated opinion of yourself due to the lengthy replies you post. Obviously you love to hear yourself talk. I suspect that not many others do however.

I'm not really interested in whether others like me or not, least of all anonymous posters on an internet forum.

I strongly urge you seek professional mental help, or get back on the meds you were prescribed.

Yep, it's me who places too much emphasis on themself. :hysterical:

I don't even think the Vette vs. the GT500 is even the issue here. JWG223 seems to be some sort of cyber stalker. The guy seems to be following every post I make and has developed some sort of obsession with me. He's a deeply disturbed individual.

Whammer, you really are pushing it here. First you accuse Brian of stalking you, and now it's me. This post doesn't have to be lengthy to get the point across, either. It just speaks for itself.

Grabber,

I tried that on the other forum and I thought we got things straightened away and now he's on here making false statements about what I said about ADM's. I don't care if he's a "good guy", I don't like people saying lies about me. He's trying to come across as a "know it all" about the car business.

He seems to take things way too seriously if anyone dares to question his wisdom.

Sorry if I offended some of you but I don't like s**t like that.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60238-next-years-gt500/page__view__findpost__p__1029242

Whammer. Don't project your issues onto me, or Brian, or anyone else, please.

Taken from the Road and Track review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q2/2011_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500-road_test

The combination of less weight, more power, better tires, and a revised suspension turns the Shelby into the car it always should have been. At the test track, we recorded 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds, 0 to 100 in 9.1 seconds, and the standing quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 117 mph. Our last 2010 test car ran those sprints in 4.5, 9.6, and 12.7 seconds, respectively. The 70-to-0 braking took 151 feet, an improvement from 165. Grip came in at an impressive 1.00 g, with far less understeer than the last car’s 0.91-g effort. Those numbers are right up with and surpass the Corvette Grand Sport’s and better overall than the last BMW M3 we tested.

Taken from the Road and Track review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q2/2011_ford_mustang_shelby_gt500-road_test

The combination of less weight, more power, better tires, and a revised suspension turns the Shelby into the car it always should have been. At the test track, we recorded 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds, 0 to 100 in 9.1 seconds, and the standing quarter-mile in 12.4 seconds at 117 mph. Our last 2010 test car ran those sprints in 4.5, 9.6, and 12.7 seconds, respectively. The 70-to-0 braking took 151 feet, an improvement from 165. Grip came in at an impressive 1.00 g, with far less understeer than the last car’s 0.91-g effort. Those numbers are right up with and surpass the Corvette Grand Sport’s and better overall than the last BMW M3 we tested.

The only problem is that you are comparing a 2011 to a 2010. For 2011, the Grand Sport got the same G2's the Shelby did--only in sizes matched correctly to the vehicle's power. The new Z6 Z06 Carbon edition is pulling 1.07G in tests. The new Grand Sport will probably pull well over 1G, even though I doubt it matches the 1.07 due to the 150# more weight. Probably 1.03 or so. Also, you can bet braking will be improved as well as everything else that a tire can influnece--which is pretty much everything.

So, lets compare apples to oranges of at least the same year with comparable options. 2011 GT500 vs. 2011 Grand Sport. SVTPP vs. MRSC.

Then see what happens.

I agree the GT500 trumps the M3 in many ways. However, it will never be said that it feels anywhere near as refined, or that the quality of the interior comes close. On paper, it trumps it. You won't find M3 owners wishing they had a GT500 just because they lose to one at a stoplight, though.

No...no...no! It's mustang vs. camaro vs. challenger. Do some of you remember the Tram Am racing series? First time around it was in the late 60s, early 70s.....and then in the 90s. I'm not sure if it still exists....I don't think so. Anyway, it was the Ford, GM, & Chrysler pony cars battling it out on road courses. I remember Kendall winning all 13 races in Trans Am racing with his 'stang....about 10 years ago? Can't remember, exactly.

No...no...no! It's mustang vs. camaro vs. challenger. Do some of you remember the Tram Am racing series? First time around it was in the late 60s, early 70s.....and then in the 90s. I'm not sure if it still exists....I don't think so. Anyway, it was the Ford, GM, & Chrysler pony cars battling it out on road courses. I remember Kendall winning all 13 races in Trans Am racing with his 'stang....about 10 years ago? Can't remember, exactly.

I agree. I originally tried to compare the GT500 to the Grand Sport and Z06 when I first got on here. Then I went and experienced both vehicles.

No comparison. Totally different. Might as well compare Jackie Chan to Fedor Emelianenko.

Yep, it's me who places too much emphasis on themself. :hysterical:

Whammer, you really are pushing it here. First you accuse Brian of stalking you, and now it's me. This post doesn't have to be lengthy to get the point across, either. It just speaks for itself.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60238-next-years-gt500/page__view__findpost__p__1029242

Whammer. Don't project your issues onto me, or Brian, or anyone else, please.

Oh, your obsessive hatred of my stems from my comments about Brian. Why don't you mind your own business. Brian and I worked things out privately and all is well.

You've got some real problems Pal. Maybe buying a GT500 might help some of them?

Oh, your obsessive hatred of my stems from my comments about Brian. Why don't you mind your own business. Brian and I worked things out privately and all is well.

You've got some real problems Pal. Maybe buying a GT500 might help some of them?

No, I just saw how immaturely you behaved in this thread and wanted to know if there was a trend of this behavior from you so I searched your previous posts and it was plain to see that yes, this is your MO. Takes all kinds, I guess. You did manage to liven the thread up. Kudos for that?

I do plan on buying a car sometime next year, but it won't be a GT500. I want a sports car instead. Anyway, off to bed so I can be up at 1700 to earn money to afford that prohibitively expensive sled know as the Z06. Cheers.

Archived