TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front License Plate

tman2011

Has anyone got any good ways to mount the front license plate besides drilling holes in the front bumper like the dealer suggested?

I just asked my dealer [in CA, where front plates are required] the same question. Odd that Ford does not make a front holder for the 10-11 GT500, since just screwing the plate into the front bumper looks terrible. He's ordering an 07 holder and will see if that will fit or can be slightly modified to fit. Will report here when it comes in ...

Yes, the bumper looks better without a front plate, but San Francisco, which gets lots of revenue from intersection cameras, is particularly anal about ticketing cars without front plates. And anywhere in the state it's a write-up if local law enforcement is feeling vigilant.

At least California has an artistic "Whale Tail" ecoplate which looks far nicer than the standard one and helps our friend the ocean a bit. :)

Has anyone got any good ways to mount the front license plate besides drilling holes in the front bumper like the dealer suggested?

I ordered a front license plate bracket from Craig's Custom Mustang brackets based on several recommendations from members of the Teamshelby forum. The URL is http://ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase_shelbysatinblack.html

Be prepared to call ahead because the site says availability is low, but I spoke with Craig yesterday on the phone and he assures me that he has a new shipment arriving today and can ship the bracket tomorrow, if ordered today.

This bracket requires NO drilling and places the license plate over the stripes, leaving the intercooler free to catch all that precious air needed to keep our garage warmer from becoming an inferno.

I ordered a front license plate bracket from Craig's Custom Mustang brackets based on several recommendations from members of the Teamshelby forum. The URL is http://ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase_shelbysatinblack.html

Be prepared to call ahead because the site says availability is low, but I spoke with Craig yesterday on the phone and he assures me that he has a new shipment arriving today and can ship the bracket tomorrow, if ordered today.

This bracket requires NO drilling and places the license plate over the stripes, leaving the intercooler free to catch all that precious air needed to keep our garage warmer from becoming an inferno.

That looks like a cool solution for the front plate.

nice piece, but more than you need to hold a plate...imo.

i use a piece of thin sheet metal (Home Depot) and put a 90deg bend in it with 2" facing up. two longer bolts and bolt it up under the splitter replacing two stock bolts. piece of 1/2" thick rubber between the sheet metal and splitter gives good clearance of the splitter under it and the hole location is set to clear the splitter at the 90. only use two bolts for the license plate, bolting at the bottom of the plate only. easy to remove the plate for track time.

It will not win any awards for its beauty and probably a little over-priced but it holds my front plate very well, no drill to the bumper and that is what really mattered. Product was just what Craig said it would be and it only took a few minutes to install and probably would not take more than that to remove with no trace of installation.

What I did was put it on the lower grill right under the front bumper with nylon zip ties. Now if your going to track the car (which I have not) I would take it off for more air flow into the HE. For street use I haven't noticed any more heat, but I also have the Revan HE with fans.

It will not win any awards for its beauty and probably a little over-priced but it holds my front plate very well, no drill to the bumper and that is what really mattered. Product was just what Craig said it would be and it only took a few minutes to install and probably would not take more than that to remove with no trace of installation.

Nothing is simple in life ... When one orders a Colgan bra for the 10/11 GT500, it comes either with/without a front license plate opening. Do you happen to know whether Craig's frame installed matches the Colgan opening? [How the hell did Colgan create the opening if Ford doesn't make a front LP frame for the 10/11?]

I have also called Craig about this today - just got his answering machine so left a query there. If I hear back, I'll post here.

These cars just look wrong with a front plate attached. I'm not planning on mounting mine unless I get hassled to much for not having the plate mounted, which has not yet happened. The authorities should just give cool cars like the GT500 a pass on the front plate. I saw a Ferrari 360 that had a vinyl sticker made of his front plate and had that stuck on the front. I had to walk right up and have a close look at it to see that it wasn't actually the plate.

I found the front plate bracket from my old 1969 Mach I 428 CJ car in a box in my garage when I was packing to move to Vancouver. Alberta currently does not require a front plate although at one time they did. I have pics of my old Mach with a front plate when I bought it back in 1982. As soon as the law did away with the front plate, off it came!!

I just spoke to Craig. He sez his holder positions the front plate in "approximately" the same location as the factory position (which I presume is just two holes drilled into the bumper for the top plate screws).

He just got an order of 10-11 GT500 holders in, but because of preorders he is now down to 13 available. [i just ordered #14].

He is about to go away on a trip until 9/27/10, so if you want to order one and have it shipped to you before then, you should phone him this evening (Saturday 9/11), anytime up to 10PM Eastern Time. He gave me his permission to post his home & cel numbers here: Home (757) 548-2865. Cel (757) 636-2445.

He sends via USPS and any orders placed today will go in the mail tomorrow. No orders will be taken after this evening until he returns from his trip.

Full cost including mailing is US$51.

These cars just look wrong with a front plate attached. I'm not planning on mounting mine unless I get hassled to much for not having the plate mounted, which has not yet happened. The authorities should just give cool cars like the GT500 a pass on the front plate. I saw a Ferrari 360 that had a vinyl sticker made of his front plate and had that stuck on the front. I had to walk right up and have a close look at it to see that it wasn't actually the plate.

I found the front plate bracket from my old 1969 Mach I 428 CJ car in a box in my garage when I was packing to move to Vancouver. Alberta currently does not require a front plate although at one time they did. I have pics of my old Mach with a front plate when I bought it back in 1982. As soon as the law did away with the front plate, off it came!!

I got hassled here . 2nd day i had the car , cops pulled me over .

I have a Craigs bracket coming . Should be here on Monday . I'll post some pics as soon as its installed .

I have the plate tie wrapped in the center of the grill at the moment . Blocks over half the airflow to HE . Not good .

I made my own bracket that fits inbetween the splitter and the lower valence. Combined with some thick cabinet lament (read: the black foam material you line your Snap-On toolbox's with) and presto-changeo, a front bracket.

I used one of the bolts closer to the middle of the splitter (there's actually two of them) and then the other one farthest to distribute the (any) stress that might occur. A few highway runs and no worse for wear. I also re-loctite'd <sp?> the bolts just to make sure they don't come loose (FORD used blue so I did as well).

Front:

33myejq.jpg

Side:

2jba3vk.jpg

Ok, so forgive me for not completely knowing how to do this the correct way, but I've got a very short quicktime movie of the installation of the front license plate on my 2011 GT500.

If you follow this link to a page on my website: http://marblesmotors.com/GT5002011Movie2.htm

Then click on the picture of the car, it should bring up the short video clip.

I tried to upload it, but it exceeds the limits of the forum.

Thanks

Randy

Archived