TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Signed Airbag Cover Preservation& Installation

ASO544

Just received my airbag cover and would like to know what to spray over it to preserve it and also the procedure for removal of the current one.

Thanks for the help!!

2010-09-08_16-20-26_15.jpg

Looks great! I'm still waiting for mine...

I'm not sure what to spray it with before installation but I'd love to hear from the experts. I've heard it changes the look of the panel ever so slightly...I hope it doesn't look funny sitting next to the unsprayed dash panels.

As a side note... when did you send your cover in? I sent mine in at the end of August and was wondering what the turnaround time is....

Just received my airbag cover and would like to know what to spray over it to preserve it and also the procedure for removal of the current one.

Thanks for the help!!

Looks great. I had tested on a small piece of the dash, a matte finish UV protectant that I got at Marshals. However, it and/or glossy changes the sheen of the dash so I decided not to do it. I had the dealer install the airbag for me to avoid having to do the work. I had the windows tinted at 50% so that will help protect it from fading.

I was thinking about going the tint route as well. Not sure exactly what I will end up doing. I just don't want to detail my car one day and accidentally smudge or erase the signature when I wipe it with cleaning product. Knowing my luck, it will smudge to the point that it's not recognizable but still remain enough that it looks like a permanent dark black smear.

I was thinking about going the tint route as well. Not sure exactly what I will end up doing. I just don't want to detail my car one day and accidentally smudge or erase the signature when I wipe it with cleaning product. Knowing my luck, it will smudge to the point that it's not recognizable but still remain enough that it looks like a permanent dark black smear.

That is a very real risk, though I know he uses a fine tip permanent marker (he was holding it in my picture of him signing it) and that shouldn't be very succeptable to smudging with a dry cloth. I use a dry and clean microfiber cloth to lightly dust it and the rest of the dash. That helps me remember not to use a cleaning product of some kind on the cover. I used to use the armorol interior shine on my other cars, but on these soft dash materials I think it makes it too glossy. So I just use a wet (when needed) microfiber towel to wipe the black dash and then a separate dry microfiber towel to wipe around the screen, dials, and all silver dash components/trim.

Hope that helps! Its the best mod you can do to these cars in my opinion.

Thanks for the help!!

+1 for Grabber's advice. I'd leave it alone. Unless people are going to be putting their hands or feet on it, no need to spray over it. Mine has been great for 7 months now

and I haven't touched it.

+1 for Grabber's advice. I'd leave it alone. Unless people are going to be putting their hands or feet on it, no need to spray over it. Mine has been great for 7 months now

and I haven't touched it.

Got mine back a few weeks ago and it looked great.

I decided not to install mine on the car, and instead bought a new one from my local Ford dealer and install that one.

All they need is your VIN number when they order it and it will be sure to match in color - mine is perfect.

Oh boy! Got my airbag cover in the mail today and was so excited that I installed it right away. I didn't bother coating with Krylon because I plan to tint my windows with a UV filtering tint which should have some protective effect.

As for the install.... It took a while to do and was a pain in the a$$!

1. There is a complete lack of information on the internet about how to remove and replace the airbag cover unit on a 2010-2011 GT500. It is sufficiently different from the 2008-2009 that if one is unfamiliar with how all that dash stuff works, they'd need the specific diagrams. It took me an hour of scouring to finally find the diagrams...here are the fruits of my labour so that you all don't need to suffer the same delays as I did. I only disconnected the battery and did not worry about the fuses.

depowerrepowerpg1.jpg

depowerrepowerpg2.jpg

moduleremovalpg1.jpg

moduleremovalpg2.jpg

Airbag Trim Cover removal.pdf

2. I had to contort my body in horrific and inhuman ways in order to access the airbag connector plug and all the various tabs that secure the unit. It took me a while to figure out how to unclip that ungodly connector and once I did I felt like a huge idiot for how simple it was.

3. At 7pm in the pitch dark, feeling your way around the dash compartment is a bit annoying...I only had a dinky flickery flashlight.

4. Figuring out how to pry the airbag canister from the dismounted airbag cover was tedious and annoying. The plastic is firm enough that you cant pull it out enough to unhook the 30000 hooks on the airbag canister and if you manage to get one, it pops back into place after you attempt the second. I had to use some gently prying with a screwdriver to unhook each of those and let me tell you.... it sucks.

All in all, I suffered terribly to get this thing installed but was it all worth it? Hell yeah. Carroll's signature on the dash is a sight for sore eyes! I'll post some pics tomorrow when the sun rises!

Good luck for all those who want to install it themselves...not the hardest thing...but a pain in the butt if you've never attempted anything like this before.

I'd much rather have Carol Shelby sign the cover that came with my car from the factory vs one grabbed out of a parts bin and installed in my car. I'm thinking of removing the one off my car and send it off to the man for his autograph and then re-install it on my car so I can say it still 100% original vs a mail order signed cover and saving close to $200.

Can someone make a removal video since some are saying its so easy to replace once you figure out how it all goes together?

I'd much rather have Carol Shelby sign the cover that came with my car from the factory vs one grabbed out of a parts bin and installed in my car. I'm thinking of removing the one off my car and send it off to the man for his autograph and then re-install it on my car so I can say it still 100% original vs a mail order signed cover and saving close to $200.

Can someone make a removal video since some are saying its so easy to replace once you figure out how it all goes together?

+ 1

The workshop manual procedure is awesome but a video (including the dreaded unclip action) would be the ultimate!

DaFreak

• 1 month later...

So is there a way to re connect the airbag so I can drive around during the few weeks it takes to get back. What's this about 30,000 canister hook nightmare, would you just recommend an older gentleman to take it the dealer for the removal but do the install his self or is that also another nightmare of body contorting.

God know what the dealer would charge and who know if they or another shop could handle such a task without messing something up or if they even knew how to do it or have the right instructions.

I'd really like to do this soon if you know what I mean but don't want to as you put it " Contort my body in horrific and inhuman ways in order to access the airbag connector plug and all the various tabs that secure the unit." or get bent over at a shop just for the removal.

Why spend $200 on an extra one when you have to go through all that, I'd rather spend the $200 for the removal/install and save my back.

Would you do it differently now?

No I would still buy a separate one. You cannot sent the airbag unit as a whole to shelby. They will not accept it with the airbag unit attached. In the end you'll have to go through the same process either way you slice it by unhooking the airbag canister from the cover which is a huge pain. Plus, now I have a backup cover in case I want to preserve the signature from fading since I didn't spray any protectant. Sorry about not taking any video of the process, I just don't plan on going through that again...

You could PROBABLY connect the airbag by reconnecting it, however that would be very risky because without the cover it would be prone to banging and smacking since it's not connected to anything. Im not sure if the motion or movement would activate the airbag inside the dash. If it wasnt secured correctly it could blow up INSIDE the dash and destroy it. Not a chance I'd be willing to take. The 30,000 clips are in actuality closer to 15--20 but it's still a huge pain. I had to pry off each tab with a different screwdriver (which the guide says not to do). It wasn't the EASIEST install... it wasn't the hardest either, it was just a pain. If you are a moderate level DIY'er I wouldn't bother sending it to the shop to get done.

Help, I was at my local dealership and inquired about purchasing an airbag cover for the GT500 and send it in to get Shelby to sign it for me. The dealer mentioned that there were 3 or 4 to chose from depending on the interior?

I have the base number 04338 what is the complete part number for an airbag cover for a 2011 GT500?

Thanks in advance

Help, I was at my local dealership and inquired about purchasing an airbag cover for the GT500 and send it in to get Shelby to sign it for me. The dealer mentioned that there were 3 or 4 to chose from depending on the interior?

I have the base number 04338 what is the complete part number for an airbag cover for a 2011 GT500?

Thanks in advance

Can you just give them the VIN number?

I got mine at the dealership. Just get them to check for the part number of the airbag cover and order an extra one, then send it to Shelby to have signed.

Happen to have the part number for the airbag cover? I have a signed 08 one on mine but I want to send in a 2010/2012 part to sign for my next purchase before it's too late, if you know what I mean.

• 5 months later...

Oh boy! Got my airbag cover in the mail today and was so excited that I installed it right away. I didn't bother coating with Krylon because I plan to tint my windows with a UV filtering tint which should have some protective effect.

As for the install.... It took a while to do and was a pain in the a$$!

1. There is a complete lack of information on the internet about how to remove and replace the airbag cover unit on a 2010-2011 GT500. It is sufficiently different from the 2008-2009 that if one is unfamiliar with how all that dash stuff works, they'd need the specific diagrams. It took me an hour of scouring to finally find the diagrams...here are the fruits of my labour so that you all don't need to suffer the same delays as I did. I only disconnected the battery and did not worry about the fuses.

depowerrepowerpg1.jpg

depowerrepowerpg2.jpg

moduleremovalpg1.jpg

moduleremovalpg2.jpg

2. I had to contort my body in horrific and inhuman ways in order to access the airbag connector plug and all the various tabs that secure the unit. It took me a while to figure out how to unclip that ungodly connector and once I did I felt like a huge idiot for how simple it was.

3. At 7pm in the pitch dark, feeling your way around the dash compartment is a bit annoying...I only had a dinky flickery flashlight.

4. Figuring out how to pry the airbag canister from the dismounted airbag cover was tedious and annoying. The plastic is firm enough that you cant pull it out enough to unhook the 30000 hooks on the airbag canister and if you manage to get one, it pops back into place after you attempt the second. I had to use some gently prying with a screwdriver to unhook each of those and let me tell you.... it sucks.

All in all, I suffered terribly to get this thing installed but was it all worth it? Hell yeah. Carroll's signature on the dash is a sight for sore eyes! I'll post some pics tomorrow when the sun rises!

Good luck for all those who want to install it themselves...not the hardest thing...but a pain in the butt if you've never attempted anything like this before.

Mulanzo, your experience and info was spot on. Without reading your post I would probably still be fighting it. The only additional info I could add is if the very first thing you do is pull the glove box off it makes the hole process a bit easer. Thanks for all the good info and it looks great. :beerchug:

Rudy,

Somehow I missed your post with the picts. It would have sped up the process and been very helpful to see what you are looking for before you have to stand on your head holding the flash light with your teeth. I disconnected the battery and pulled the #31 fuse ( which was almost harder to reach than the airbag) If anyone is going to pull the fuse I would recommend pulling out the glove box first.

• 1 month later...

I juste received mine today. I was so excited when I saw the UPS truck drivers in my backyard, that I told him: "do you know what's in this box " ? he said "no sir", so he gaves me a knife and I showed him exactly what it was.....let say that he starts knowing me as I'm ordering many car's part / body kit / wheels for my cars through the years.

Hopefull Mr. Shelby has been using UPS instead of the combo USPS / Canada Post, because right now Canada Post is in lockout !

photoqqs.jpg

Thanks for the help!!

I actually got the Krylon Clear Matte Spray and sprayed my signed airbag cover. I sprayed about 4 coats on it. I wiped the part that wasn't actually signature a bit to remove some of the finish, and you really can't tell a difference in the look when installed. It looks good, and hopefully will give it enough protection.

I received my signed airbag cover from Carrol Shelby Foundation back, a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for my Ford Dealership to fit me in. I have appointment for July 14th. I will take pictures of the process of installing it and post it. :camera:

Archived