TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Vehicle Title Question

Madlock

As the collection of parts that will ultimately become my 2011 GT500 prepare to head down the line at Flat Rock, I'm preparing for delivery by clearing away some of the collateral minutiae that comes GT500 ownership.

While it's a car I plan to drive and enjoy (compared to Cameron Frye's father's Ferrari), it's also a car I plan to take care of - meaning its SVTPP wheels and tires will be stored in favor of all-season tires and wheels that I can be free to enjoy driving aggressively without undue concern about damage to wheels at $1,200 per.

I hope to thoroughly enjoy it on the road - and have it be every bit as much fun showing it off when it's parked in the garage. I also hope to ensure it's always a readily-resalable, particularly to those who value whatever "limited" production desirability at may have - and this begins with retaining copies of every piece of documentation from ordering through delivery to accumulate and retain as complete a provenance as possible.

This brings me to the issue of the vehicle title and whether having a title that reflects my name only - without the temporary encumbrance of a lien - makes any kind of difference. With money so cheap, it seems almost criminally stupid to not take advantage of the almost-free cashflow - if only in principle. On the other hand, it would seem to be even dumber to finance the vehicle if doing so might make it less desirable to someone else - with the understanding that it would only ever be likely to matter to the most anally-retentive Shelby aficionados.

Sure - financing a token sum of say $20-30K could be of nominal benefit - if only in the form of financing that's lower than my current mortgage or to provide free cash for purchases I might otherwise finance over short periods by credit cards, but not so much that I'd do so at the expense of the car's overall value or desirability - as esoteric as they may be.

Does this even matter?

Mods,

Could we please

(1) move this topic to an appropriate forum

and

(2) retitle this subforum as "Cobra, Ford GT, etc. open area discussion".

This isn't really the catch all for every general discussion topic - there is a place for that - but is intended to be a general discussion of the specific cars listed in the subforum. It would be easier for people to find his topic if it were somewhere else.

Thanks,

Tony

Having a lienholder on a title (and any vehicle history reports such as a Carfax) do nothing to the value of the vehicle. The only concern for any subsequent owners would be to make sure the lien is satisfied before purchasing the vehicle so that a clear title can be had.

Man, I think you are WAY overthinking the collection of your car. It might be different if there werent 40,000 of them out on the streets. Having a lienholder doesnt matter because it doesnt change the fact at a point you would sell to be a one owner car. Never have I heard an asterick put on the sale of any car, that it was a one owner, but they didnt buy it outright. I bought my GT500 outright, but the GT350 I financed because Ford offered 0% financing. If someone is going to give me free money, how can I pass that up? Please enjoy your car. Dont let it waste away in bubble wrap and a glass garage!!

The Title is a state issued document anyway not Ford. Just make sure your dealer gives you a color copy of the Certificate of Origin before they send it to the State if you finance. If you cash out you will get the Certificate yourself. The copy will have "void" watermarks all over it but thats the best you can have for your documentation file.

Archived