TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Seats wearing prematurely?

mustangman66

My seats are showing some wear lines as you can see from the picture below. My car is 2 years old with 3100 miles and is garage kept. It's mostly on the driver side but the passenger side has some too. It's strange as they seem to have appeared almost overnight. :headscratch: I have conditioned them once with Lexol and the wear lines on the passenger side appeared just after I used the Lexol. Does everyones seat look like this after a while?

gt500seat.jpg

Not the best material in the world, that's for sure... Mine has less than 1,000 miles and there is some visible wear... AND I condition it regularly.

Yeah your right about the material. I guess all our seats are gonna wear pretty bad no matter what we do. I just searched ebay looking at used GT500's and everyone of them had noticeable seat wear especially on the drivers side. Hate to see what they will look like 10 years from now. I wonder if the 2010 and ups hold up better than ours as it appears to be higher quality.

The seat covers can be replaced pretty easy by a shop in 10 or 15 years if it needs to be done. I had a factory blem on one of my seats and it was replaced in 2007. I watched the work be done by a upholstry guy. Use the conditioner and try not to slide in and out of the seat, meaning sit your butt down and get up rather than slide in and out. This will make your seats last longer.

The seat covers can be replaced pretty easy by a shop in 10 or 15 years if it needs to be done. I had a factory blem on one of my seats and it was replaced in 2007. I watched the work be done by a upholstry guy. Use the conditioner and try not to slide in and out of the seat, meaning sit your butt down and get up rather than slide in and out. This will make your seats last longer.

I was hoping you might chime in Grabber as I know you keep your car in pristine condition and I saw you use Lexol as well. I'm definately careful to the point my friends think I'm mental when it comes to this car. Weird the lines appeared so quickly all of the sudden. Do your seats look like this too?

+1

I use HideFood on all of my car seats. It`s Jaguar dealer issue. Great stuff!! The only thing is , you must remove ALL residue before you walk away from the job, as it will leave white specs when it dries. Grabber has a great point...try using your left hand on the sill for support getting in and out, all the while eliminating any `s l i d e` in and out of the seat. My GT500 just turned 4k last week and seats look fabulous still!

:)

try not to slide in and out of the seat, meaning sit your butt down and get up rather than slide in and out. This will make your seats last longer.

Easier said than done for some of us. I also noticed the seat wear on my GT 500, funny, it's almost identical to the wear on my F-150 and my van! Hmmm, my only conclusion is that all seats are poor quality in that area.......can't be me.....nah!

During the last car show I'd entered my SGT/SC in, the judge commented on how well my seats were wearing as most he'd seen were cracking and splitting. "Are you serious?" I asked him. "Already? In 2008 cars?!?" I thought that was a really weird statement at the time. After reading these observations, now it makes sense.

Yeah, my seats are definitely "worn-in", that's for sure.

I've used the Lexol brand for years and have had good luck with it.

Weekly cleaning I use ICE interior.

The twice a year deep cleaning and condioning; I clean it with nothing more than Kiwi saddle soap and a very light coat of mink oil, then the next time, I'll use the Lexol conditioner.

Does anyone know first if that part is leather? Then what grade leather it is?

It would be a shame to know we've been killing mass amounts of "Naughas" for our car. LMAO.gif

I was hoping you might chime in Grabber as I know you keep your car in pristine condition and I saw you use Lexol as well. I'm definately careful to the point my friends think I'm mental when it comes to this car. Weird the lines appeared so quickly all of the sudden. Do your seats look like this too?

The drivers side is showing some wear. That's pretty normal for leather. No biggie.

The drivers side is showing some wear. That's pretty normal for leather. No biggie.

It is normal for the GT500, but not all cars. We recently traded in a daily driver with 120k on the clock and the seats looked almost new. It is about the quality, and the leather in the GT500 is probably what I would call average.

I learned too late for my T-Bird's seats not to drive with my wallet in my back pocket. I'm left-handed, and put my wallet in the left pocket. It wore out the leather, but shredded the vinyl bolsters.

Same thing happened to me as well on my 2002 BMW. I'm also left-handed and kept my wallet in my left back pocket. It also shredded the "leatherette" bolster as it was called (must be a fancy German name for vinyl cause that's what it was).

I was going to see if I could get the seat repaired, but before I could do so, the car was stolen!

Ah well, the insurance payout is now the downpayment on a 2011 GT500, so I guess that worked out well! But the wallet stays in the front pocket from now on!

Now, when's that car going to get here... headscratch.gif

-Pockdog

yeah, my seats already look like doodoo. My drivers seat got a big gouge in it where some mechanic or yahoo got in it with something in their back pocket....

I am over it though...a trip to Gary Disney will fix my woes...

I learned too late for my T-Bird's seats not to drive with my wallet in my back pocket. I'm left-handed, and put my wallet in the left pocket. It wore out the leather, but shredded the vinyl bolsters.

A bit off topic, but approximately 20 years ago I was told by a very well respected Stanford Medical Center spinal orthopedist at a seminar that many of the chronic "back" problems adult males have are directly related to "sitting" on their wallets for extended periods of time. He asked me how long I would stand, walk or run with a pebble in one of my shoes? He said it's the same thing to your spine when you're sitting on a solid lump with the right or left butt cheek on a routine basis. I recall this because he also mentioned the damage to the seat of his Porsche until he stopped the practice as well.

backtotopic.gif

Yesssss..I am glad somebody remembered to mention 'the wallet'. I have not been carrying mine in my pocket when I drive since my '96 Cobra. That was back in about '04. Reason: well, because if you guys have driven the old fox-body cars, the seattracks are made for a 5'-2" driver! I'm 6' and all torso. If I drove with my wallet in my rear pocket, my head hit the roof and it was much more uncomfortable actuating the pedal box.

I bought that car from the original owner in '04 with 1400 miles on it....it was basically NEW! I drove it until my '07 GT500 showed, or right before, and sold it to a friend with 10k on the speedo. And guess what?.....the driver seat was like brandy new!!! I now even notice that the driver leather seat in my Exploder daily driver, is showing very little wear without the wallet, and my 'lift-in-out' technique as well.

Our seats are poor quality material in my opinion. I am on my third seat back cover (from Ford) on my driver seat. The piping on the seat has worn through twice, first time at about 20,000 miles...Ford replaced when I brought in for warranty service...second time at 32,000 miles when I went in for some warranty work (TSB). I have some strange "cloudy" residue on the passenger seat they said was related to something I must have put on the seat and would not replace that one. Overall I am not pleased with the seat material....but I love the car overall......

Our seats are poor quality material in my opinion. I am on my third seat back cover (from Ford) on my driver seat. The piping on the seat has worn through twice, first time at about 20,000 miles...Ford replaced when I brought in for warranty service...second time at 32,000 miles when I went in for some warranty work (TSB). I have some strange "cloudy" residue on the passenger seat they said was related to something I must have put on the seat and would not replace that one. Overall I am not pleased with the seat material....but I love the car overall......

Yeah I agree about the poor quality material used in our seats. I am always extra careful and never have my wallet in my back pocket as I learned that lesson a long time ago. My seats are still showing wear at just over 3000 miles even the passenger side although I rarely have anyone ride with me. I may try to get Ford to replace the seat cover under warranty at some point too. If not , does anyone know where we can order replacement seat covers and what they cost?

I took delivery of my '07 GT500 in April of 2007. The car has 4045 miles on it and I weigh 180lbs. I use the lift in-out technique by placing my left hand on the sill. I use on ALL my cars with leather seats HideFood from Jag dealers. And this is what you get after all that...............................................................................................................................................................................................LOOK!

:salute:

My front seats are fine at the time. When I bought the car the back seat bottom had stitches that were not sewn all the way. They were not sewn tight where the seat belt buckles come up. Nobody even sat in the seat, it was this way from the factory. You might want to look at yours. It's easy to pop the two tabs by the floor and pull the bottom seat out and look at it.

My front seats are fine at the time. When I bought the car the back seat bottom had stitches that were not sewn all the way. They were not sewn tight where the seat belt buckles come up. Nobody even sat in the seat, it was this way from the factory. You might want to look at yours. It's easy to pop the two tabs by the floor and pull the bottom seat out and look at it.

SC5.4,

Thanks for the tip, although I won't be looking at mine anytime soon....don't need the possible added stress! Lol!

Its definatelly the leather, and the fact that is black dont help IMO. The Shelby is a year old with 9k miles and has quite a few lines on the driver's seat. My F350 lariat, has tan leather seats, 31k miles and the seats are as good as the first day i picked it up, and i use it for work all the time. I also slide in and out all the time.....that didnt sound right lol

Archived