TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1-2 Shift issue as seen from in the car....

GO-SVT

HIJACK-

Were did you find your Ford Racing Girl thumbnail pic for your avatar?

Is there a full size one somewhere I can grab? Not for my Av, for my screen saver...

I love pin-up art!

TIA,

Phill

Were did you find your Ford Racing Girl thumbnail pic for your avatar?

Is there a full size one somewhere I can grab? Not for my Av, for my screen saver...

I love pin-up art!

TIA,

Phill

racing-girl-ford-logo-pin-up-decals-125-p.jpg

Apparently this car does not have it...

Misleading thread....there is no issue.

Plenty of people with 10s and 11s do NOT have this issue, myself included.

I've been doing 1-2 max RPM shifts every day and no grinds whatsoever when I shift correct.

I've grinded 1-2 three times the first month I got it until I adjusted my technique and hasn't happened since.

I wasn't trying to be misleading. Just showing another side to it. it's to the point where people ask questions at the track "I heard these cars don't go into 2nd gear at high rpm"

:headscratch:

I guess I better be worried now. There's a video of my Shelby being (GASP!) raced. I made 8 other runs on Saturday. I did miss third once. I was racing a car with open headers and was hard to concentrate with all that noise. Still whooped his ass though... :dance:

I bought my car to have fun with it. I have loaded it up with FORD RACING Performance Parts. I love it. :shift:

If I break it. I'll fix it.

Ford ROCKS. THANK YOU for building the best American performance cars ever!!!!

Ford Apologists, Inc.

Some of these cars have an issue, and some don't. The fact that your car may not have a 1-2 shift issue suggests that some owners are more fortunate than others.

Unless my car is shifted several hundred RPMs short of redline, it has an issue. I suppose I could change my technique and shift out of first at 5500 RPMs. Maybe the SVT shift indicator can be set so that it lights at 5500 in first, and 6100 in the other gears.

you short shifted 2nd, that proves nothing but great driving none the less

Not correct Chuck, I shifted 1-2 at 6400 RPM. And I have 4 other videos where I did the same thing. I have 3.55 gears and shifted a tick before redline.

I have been racing with a manual trans for a long time and people say it looks like I'm driving an automatic when I leave the line and get into 2nd gear.

I will center the camera in on my gauge cluster next time.

I just want to say I do not wish to make light of the problems many of you seem to be having. I apologize if I come off that way. I just wanted to present another side of things.

Not correct Chuck, I shifted 1-2 at 6400 RPM. And I have 4 other videos where I did the same thing. I have 3.55 gears and shifted a tick before redline.

I have been racing with a manual trans for a long time and people say it looks like I'm driving an automatic when I leave the line and get into 2nd gear.

I just want to say I do not wish to make light of the problems many of you seem to be having. I apologize if I come off that way. I just wanted to present another side of things.

Point the camera towards your feet as well.. I want to see how you are using the clutch and accelerator to go that smoothly down the strip!

Point the camera towards your feet as well.. I want to see how you are using the clutch and accelerator to go that smoothly down the strip!

The answer there is SEAT TIME. I used to work every day as the tower operator at that dragstrip back in the '90's when I lived closer to the facility. And I'd race my Cobra 5 days per week, sometimes making 15-20 passes. I became like a robot with regard to shifting. When I got my '08 GT500 (the grabber orange car) I SUCKED at shifting it until I kept getting "reps" and then my et's kept dropping with each run. I'm still in need of more practice time with the Kona car, but I'm getting there. Clutch pedal and go-pedal management are everything IMHO. There's a point where they "cross" one-another and the trick is to find that spot without being too rough with either pedal. It gives the appearance and "feel" of driving an auto trans. I remember when I was a teenager, I had a '68 GTO with a 4-speed. My girlfriend's older brother drove it once and I was amazed at how smooth he was able to drive the car, and he taught me about managing the pedals and it stuck with me I guess...

I also feel it makes you a better driver over the long-term to run on "weaker" tires to perfect your feel for the pedals. It's not hard to slap on sticky tires and let it fly. It takes technique to not blow off lesser tires, and this makes you more "aware" of what you do with the pedal. I like to try to squeeze everything I can out of the setup before I make changes.

you short shifted 2nd, that proves nothing but great driving none the less

Chuck, I thought maybe he was short shifting as well, but when you watch it a few times you realize that you're hearing the other car, not the OP's GT500.

Very nice driving.

What was the E.T. on the run in the video?

The other car was REALLY loud (and really slow)

You can't tell the sound of my car over all that noise he was making. You never see him because I left him in my dust.

However, watch third- you can see it caused the camera to shake so it wasn't that smooth.

That pass was nothing special ET-wise, it was 11.71@123 with a 1.9 60. I left off-idle. I had been hot-lapping. (I think you can hear the announcer say something about me hot-lapping it) That video was take in hi-def so if you switch to see it on YouTube and set it for 720P/Full screen you can analyze it better.

On another note, if you try to shift this car "fast" on the street it leaves a LONG twin "S" behind it. So it's kind of a waste anyway.

I love seeing the videos from inside the car. I know what it looks and sounds like for me in my car and for me to see you drive yours helps. If you do get another video from the center of the car, that may help even more. I will try to video some of mine too for comparison purposes Friday. Thanks again for posting it.

Archived