TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BRAKE SQUEAK 08 GT500

jasonport

Hey, everyone just wanted to ask if anyone has had this. I am getting loud brake squeak when stopping in the GT500. when they get warmed up after driving awhile. The car only has 3,900 miles on her. It's so irritating to roll up to a light sounding like a truck. I took to ford dealer and they said without looking at it its fine all cars make noise. I was not happy as I am going to another ford dealer next week . Anyways any thoughts thank you

I love this car by the way GT500 all the way. Smoked a Camaro the other day got him in 3rd gear no problem 1 full car length then i let off . why bother hysterical.gif

That's what I would suggest, especially if it's still under warranty. The dealer should take the brakes apart for a close inspection.

Yep Warranty is good til December 2011 almost 2012 . I will make another appointment with another ford dealer. at least 16 months left on my warranty superhero.gif

Hey, everyone just wanted to ask if anyone has had this. I am getting loud brake squeak when stopping in the GT500. when they get warmed up after driving awhile. The car only has 3,900 miles on her. It's so irritating to roll up to a light sounding like a truck. I took to ford dealer and they said without looking at it its fine all cars make noise. I was not happy as I am going to another ford dealer next week . Anyways any thoughts thank you

Ask your dealer if he is a fool or a idiot (tell him he gets a choice).

No, your brakes should NOT squeel under normal circumstances.

A easy cure is to pull the pads and chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads. Just use a regular ole' bench grinder. Grind about a 45 degree angle on the edges, maybe 1/8"-1/4" wide (1/4" is a little much).

It will cure your squeel, I can damn near garaunty it (it worked about 99% of the time over 20+ years for me).

Now, having said that....I'm not sure if the Mustang/Shelby brake pads have "tattle tale squeelers" on them or not but some cars do. It is a WARNING feature that tells you your pads are getting low. If it is a brake squeeler, the pads need to be replaced.

Either way, they are not all "supposed to do that". That's not a feature, it's a problem.

Phill

A easy cure is to pull the pads and chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads. Just use a regular ole' bench grinder. Grind about a 45 degree angle on the edges, maybe 1/8"-1/4" wide (1/4" is a little much).

It will cure your squeel, I can damn near garaunty it (it worked about 99% of the time over 20+ years for me).

Now, having said that....I'm not sure if the Mustang/Shelby brake pads have "tattle tale squeelers" on them or not but some cars do. It is a WARNING feature that tells you your pads are getting low. If it is a brake squeeler, the pads need to be replaced.

Either way, they are not all "supposed to do that". That's not a feature, it's a problem.

Phill

The front OEM brake pads are already chamfered and yes they do have wear indicators. OEM pads are the set on the right.

IMG_4143-1.jpg

The OEM pads also have an anti-squeal backing and some copper anti-squeal compound applied.

IMG_4122.jpg

The front OEM brake pads are already chamfered and yes they do have wear indicators. OEM pads are the set on the right.

IMG_4143-1.jpg

The pads on the right look glazed.

You can deglaze them by taking a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper, lay it flat on a level surface (a concrete garage floor), laying your pads face down on it and use a circular motion to get the glaze off of the pads.

You need to do the same with the rotors. I use a small rotoray sanding disc (80 grit disc) on a electric drill. Spin the rotor and use the disc to put "CCCCC's' pattern all the way around the rotor. Inside and outside.

THEN, when you use your brakes try your best not to use them for extreame (hard) braking for awhile. I may be too late but modern day semi-mets need to be "seasoned" with heat cycles.

Your squeel should be gone with the above proceedure and the WORST that will happen if they weren't seasond right is that they will start squeeling again after they bake a glaze back on them. You can repeat the degalazing again but the best cure would be a good set of NEW pads and proper break-in/seasoning.

Every semi-met pad I've ever used has the break-in/seasoning instructions in the box with them. It's basically, brake to stop under LIGHT braking. let rotor cool for a short bit and repeat....about 20-30 times. During this period avoid HEAVY braking as much as possible. No mountain driving, no panic stopping, etc. Do it agian on a second day (allowing FULL cool down overnight) and you will pretty much insure the pads are seated correctly (and the glue in the pad material has set correctly).

HTH,

Phill

My car did the same thing, I have a 2008 with 4000 miles or so. I found out I never broke in? the pads properly. Run the car to 60-70 mph, with a straight away and no traffic, slam on the brakes (abs will kick in until you stop). Do this 4-5 times and your brakes will be seated properly. No noise will be heard after this procedure. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys sorry to be missing in action. I haven't got brake problem fixed due to when i took it in it wouldn't make the noise. Trust me it does it everyday on the way home from work. Anyways I will be dropping the car off next week at Frontier Ford. They told me My 4300 mile GT500 needs the new clutch. The master tech driving it noticed the bad vibration on take off and said qoute ( why haven't you brought it in ? ) I told him I didn't trust my local Ford dealer. Long story short after waiting over a month for parts they just came in. So the brakes , Clutch/ flywheel and my dash problem will be fixed hopefully next week. I really like the new GT500 but the price is just too much for me. It about broke me to buy mine that I have. So I am going to keep my 2008 GT500 to my retiement : ) I just feel lucky I got to get one NEW off the showroom floor with Pictures!! ok let you know once she is fixed. I know 4,300 miles on a 2008 : ) I know drive it!!!!

Archived