TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spark Plug Change Interval?

AlloyDropTop

Do the plugs snap in these, like they do in a GT?

Good question!

To Seahorse: I think where Stidog is going, and certainly the thought that came to me, is that changing the plugs with every oil change seems so over the top as to be simply begging for trouble.

Changing the plugs may be relatively quick and painless, but everytime you do it you do introduce risk to your engine from dust/grime entering the cylinder, to the threads getting messed up, to the plug breaking and then creating a real mess. I'm all for changing the plugs more often than recommended, but doing it every oil change, is...well...breathtaking.

Nope, these aren't the weird design found in the 3V heads - just regular style plugs.

Good question!

To Seahorse: I think where Stidog is going, and certainly the thought that came to me, is that changing the plugs with every oil change seems so over the top as to be simply begging for trouble.

Changing the plugs may be relatively quick and painless, but everytime you do it you do introduce risk to your engine from dust/grime entering the cylinder, to the threads getting messed up, to the plug breaking and then creating a real mess. I'm all for changing the plugs more often than recommended, but doing it every oil change, is...well...breathtaking.

Been doing same with all my "toy" cars over the years, no issues yet - as in everything just take the time and care to do it right :) . Plus, especially with a power-adder engine, it's an easy way to check how it's running based on plug condition. And even then, with the mileage most put on these cars, that's no more than 2, 3 times a year - works out twice a year for me. I know guys who change them every trip to the track, but I'm not quite that anal...yet LOL.

I know guys who change them every trip to the track, but I'm not quite that anal...yet LOL.

I am that anal. I change all fluids before every race/track event. Plugs are cheap.

The plugs in the 5.4L 4V are standard type, not the 2pc type used on the 3V modulars that were prone to sticking to the heads. Ford switched to a standard type sparkplug for the GT 4.6 motor some time in 2008.

I was wondering the same thing with my Stage 2 TR6's. Kent from Evolution told me to change them every year. But, putting those 2 dollar spark plugs in such an exotic high-performance engine doesn't sound right to me so I'm looking for a higher-quality substitute.

If a guy is 'fussy' about his plugs......just use a small amount of Permatex anti-sieze on the threads of each plug, and do not overtighten them, and you should be fine. I am not as nutty about plugs, but am very fussy about fluids. IMHO, changing fluids are MUCH more important than the current industry quality and design of spark ticklers.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering the same thing with my Stage 2 TR6's. Kent from Evolution told me to change them every year. But, putting those 2 dollar spark plugs in such an exotic high-performance engine doesn't sound right to me so I'm looking for a higher-quality substitute.

Have you found a replacement yet?

with the stock plugs an pulley you wont need to change them till like 3 yrs or 60k, even thoe the manual says a 100k 5yr. if your running TR6s they wear out faster cause there co[pper so ill do my once a year or 10-15k miles. im sure you could go 2 yrs.

I've heard (and seen on TV car show I think it was 2 Guys Garage) that the 5.4 truck motor that our block is related to had lots of problems with the OEM plugs breaking off when trying to remove if left in more than 2-3 years. It's been on my mind and would like to give this a shot with a good aftermarket alternative that is less prone to breaking off. I'll see if I can dig up that source and post here.

I've heard (and seen on TV car show I think it was 2 Guys Garage) that the 5.4 truck motor that our block is related to had lots of problems with the OEM plugs breaking off when trying to remove if left in more than 2-3 years. It's been on my mind and would like to give this a shot with a good aftermarket alternative that is less prone to breaking off. I'll see if I can dig up that source and post here.

It is not the block that is the issue with the 5.4 triton engine, It is the head design that requires the longer plug. Why Ford went with a 2 piece design plug, I don't know. The heads on our 5.4's do not require a long plug, therefore there is no issue.

A little anti sieze and not over tightened, and you will never have a problem. Also use compresed air to blow out the spark plug holes before removing the plugs to prevent any cylinder contamination.

Mike

Archived