TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Problems with the shelby

topgun

Hello need a little help from my friends here. I recently had new brakes, rotors and a new battery installed on my 2009 GT500 by my dealer. I noticed when driving now whenever I hit the gas my rpm's shoot up. I also notice that when I spot prey on the interstate and try to have them for lunch the shelby doesn't respond when I downshift, again the rpm's shoot up and nothing happens. I'am thinking that when the battery was replaced I lost my tune. I had my car tuned at shelbyfest by the techs from cai. I purchased the ford racing cai. Any advice would be great before I take my shelby back to the dealer.

Sounds like you need to reset the PCM if the battery was disconnected. It is outlined in the owner's manual in the battery section. Basically, you disconnect the negative cable for 15 minutes, then turn off all accessories, start the car and run at idle for 3 or 4 minutes. Next while the car is still running, turn on the ac and run it at idle for an additional three or four minutes. Then take it out and drive it normally for around 15 minutes while the car learns your driving habits again.

I doubt the clutch went out after having your battery and brakes changed !!!

It would be the perfect storm if your clutch all of a sudden craped out. Springer hit the nail on the head (if the techs didn't go joy riding & smoked your clutch).

It's your clutch. It's a coincidence that it happened after it was serviced, or the techs beat the crap out of what friction material was left on the disc. Regardless, it's your clutch.

Sounds like you need to reset the PCM if the battery was disconnected. It is outlined in the owner's manual in the battery section. Basically, you disconnect the negative cable for 15 minutes, then turn off all accessories, start the car and run at idle for 3 or 4 minutes. Next while the car is still running, turn on the ac and run it at idle for an additional three or four minutes. Then take it out and drive it normally for around 15 minutes while the car learns your driving habits again.

I doubt the clutch went out after having your battery and brakes changed !!!

Thanks I hope it works.

I reset the PCM last night. Its hard to believe my clutch is gone I drove 8 hours after the work was done and seemed fine. Only problem was when I got on it suddenly or downshifted. I drove my corvette for 2 days, then drove my shelby for 2 days to check the clutch it seemed fine. I know that sound crazy but the clutch in the vette is soft so after driving the vette and switching back over to the shelby the clutch hard so I figured it to be fine. I will be taking the shelby out later this evening to get on it and see what happens. My fingers are crossed.

Sorry to hear about your car, but it is +1000 on the clutch being the issue. if you are still getting in and out og ears and no slip at low accelerations it just means that you still have enough plate to drag it in for repairs. (think reving the engine while the clutch pedal is pressed and you'll get the idea.) If it was just a PCM issue the rpms would not move without the car going.

Went to the dealer yesterday to try to get my clutch repaired under Tsb. The service tech said that they could do it but he needed to ask his sales manager did my car qualify. The sales manager told me that because my car was out of warranty and had to many miles that I would have to foot the bill. Someone please make me smart. I thought If there was a known problem that wasn't the owners fault that the car could be repaired under TSB warranty or not? Anway I'am waiting on a estimate for the repairs. I can only imagine. The service manager did say he would give me a 10% discount on labor and parts.

Should be covered for 5yr 60k miles BUT Ive also heard 3yr 36k miles. Depends on what dealer you go to. Either way you should NOT have to pay for it unless you have over 36k miles. Which I cant see since your car is a 09.

I would print out TSBs and bring them in with you when you go back.

Went to the dealer yesterday to try to get my clutch repaired under Tsb. The service tech said that they could do it but he needed to ask his sales manager did my car qualify. The sales manager told me that because my car was out of warranty and had to many miles that I would have to foot the bill. Someone please make me smart. I thought If there was a known problem that wasn't the owners fault that the car could be repaired under TSB warranty or not? Anway I'am waiting on a estimate for the repairs. I can only imagine. The service manager did say he would give me a 10% discount on labor and parts.

Maybe I can help you>

Here is the TSB:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167__fromsearch__1

What day was your 2009 manufactured ? Some of the 2009's have the old nodular iron flywheel in them if they were manufactured before 8/19/08. Here's my research on it:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__910167__fromsearch__1

Your dealer is feeding you a line of crap by not covering your bad clutch. Arm yourself with this info:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36724-what-to-tell-the-dealer-about-your-clutch-problem/page__view__findpost__p__576592__fromsearch__1

If you want to talk personally about the problem, PM me your phone number and I would be happy to school you up on some things.

Rob

Should be covered for 5yr 60k miles BUT Ive also heard 3yr 36k miles. Depends on what dealer you go to. Either way you should NOT have to pay for it unless you have over 36k miles. Which I cant see since your car is a 09.

I would print out TSBs and bring them in with you when you go back.

+ 1. How many miles do you have on the car? You should still be covered for the TSB with less than 36K miles.

Grabber is a good resource ... seek his advice.

Hey Grabber thanks for the information. I always search your post for information when it come to the shelby. I did print a copy of the the TSB and take it with me. I spent 2 days studying your post about the TSB before I went to the dealer. I have 40k miles on my car so my warranty is up. I thought the warranty didn't matter and that since I didn't cause the problem that the dealer would make the repairs with no problem.

There was someone from Ford at the dealership when I took my car that was no help. I'am not going to pay a crazy amount for the repairs. I 'am going to buy something else if the dealer comes back with a big number like I expect him to do.

Wow!!, that's mighty kind of them..........especially since the markup on parts is 40% and more !!! Fact !! When I was in the business and we had weekly mgmt meetings, guess who never got their hands slapped and were always smiling?? Yup, parts and service managers

The TSB identifies the "Basic Part No."; I believe that's the part which is at fault. The Basic Part No. for TSB 10-03-08 is listed as 6375, which is the flywheel. The flywheel is covered under your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Take a look at your warranty, it lists specific parts including the flywheel. However, your car has to have the old 6375 flywheel to qualify for the TSB; some of the 2009 models, built after mid/late-August 2008 already have the new flywheel. If you can show your car has the 6375 flywheel, you can argue that the TSB should be covered by the powertrain warranty, which is still in effect.

BTW, what is the build date shown on the label affixed to the driver's side door jamb?

The TSB identifies the "Basic Part No."; I believe that's the part which is at fault. The Basic Part No. for TSB 10-03-08 is listed as 6375, which is the flywheel. The flywheel is covered under your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Take a look at your warranty, it lists specific parts including the flywheel. However, your car has to have the old 6375 flywheel to qualify for the TSB; some of the 2009 models, built after mid/late-August 2008 already have the new flywheel. If you can show your car has the 6375 flywheel, you can argue that the TSB should be covered by the powertrain warranty, which is still in effect.

BTW, what is the build date shown on the label affixed to the driver's side door jamb?

My build date is 09-08. I will have the dealer check and see if I have 6375 flywheel. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

What a day for the shelby. I found out today that I have the new flywheel in my shelby so Ford will not cover my clutch under TSB. The dealer quoted me a price of $23590 for the repairs. As far as Im concerned they can keep the shelby Im currently looking for something else.

Archived