TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 axle off center

re50cal

I just put Alcoa wheels on my 2011 gt500 and noticed that the driver-side rear wheel sticks out past the wheel well about a half inch, although it is flush on the passenger side rear. I asked the dealer and they stated that all the shelbys come that way. Has anyone else noticed this. When I put the stock wheels back on, the problem still existed but it was not past the wheel well because the wheels are more narrow, but by the Alcoa Wheels having a wider offset, the difference is more noticeable

I just put Alcoa wheels on my 2011 gt500 and noticed that the driver-side rear wheel sticks out past the wheel well about a half inch, although it is flush on the passenger side rear. I asked the dealer and they stated that all the shelbys come that way. Has anyone else noticed this. When I put the stock wheels back on, the problem still existed but it was not past the wheel well because the wheels are more narrow, but by the Alcoa Wheels having a wider offset, the difference is more noticeable

Adjustable pan hard bar should solve that. I don't see that on mine with the stock wheels (non pp car)

Thats strange. the axle shift, historically, has been the result of installing lowering springs on the rear which created the offset you're experiencing. This was corrected by installing an adjustable panhard rod, which, when adjusted, moves the axle back to center. Some Shelbys have come from the factory a little off center without having anything modiifed in the suspension, but thats pretty rare. Maybe your's is one of those rare exceptions. If it bothers you, I'd suggest getting an adjustable panhard rod and re-centering the rear.

Every one I looked at was off center, take a yardstick and lay it up against the drivers side rear tire, then the pass side.

My 2007 GT was off center as well so its nothing new.

Agreed. Every GT500 I've seen is this way, incl my 09 and my non-SVTPP 11. People that say their axle isn't offset just haven't looked closely enough.

Ford does it for a reason. I don't know what it is, but they have to have a reason to make them all this way. Whatever. I installed an adj. panhard bar last week. It's centered now.

My '11 SVTPP has the exact same issue as well.

I'm curious about "the reason". Wonder if it has to do with the manufacturing or assembly sequence - i.e if the bar has to be attached at both ends while the axle is still a ways below the car - then as the axle is brought up to the right height the bar causes the side-to-side alignment to go off.

Just pure speculation - trying to conjecture an engineering reason for this...

I sure do wish I had never seen this thread! Looked at the rear tires on my KR this weekend, and sure enough, the driver's side sticks out about 3/4" past the top of the wheel well, while the passenger side is flush. Doesn't really bother me, but yeah, I do have to wonder why they made 'em this way!

I sure do wish I had never seen this thread! Looked at the rear tires on my KR this weekend, and sure enough, the driver's side sticks out about 3/4" past the top of the wheel well, while the passenger side is flush. Doesn't really bother me, but yeah, I do have to wonder why they made 'em this way!

You'll never be able to unseee it now. haha, sorry... :hysterical3:

Ha

My guess it has to with some kind of clearance/alignment thing when the suspension articulates.

Either that or the company that has been making the panhard bars for the last 6-7 years has been making them too long and nobody has noticed :)

Mass produced or not, all cars have little variances. I am betting the panhard bars are rather consistant, though. This is just a case of it being a $50K car instead of a $150K car. It doesn't hurt anything but someone's sense of OCD.

Mass produced or not, all cars have little variances. I am betting the panhard bars are rather consistant, though. This is just a case of it being a $50K car instead of a $150K car. It doesn't hurt anything but someone's sense of OCD.

Sure the bars are consistent, what I was saying is they are consistently too long from day one :)

I dont think it hurts a thing, it may even be done on purpose, maybe there was clearance issues on older ones, who knows..

Sure the bars are consistent, what I was saying is they are consistently too long from day one :)

I dont think it hurts a thing, it may even be done on purpose, maybe there was clearance issues on older ones, who knows..

I think the bars might be correct and the cars just vary. I know when I bought stuff that was "supposed to weld right in" on my mustang, it was always 1/4" or so off, sometimes more. The items were Steeda suspension/chassis components (Tq boxes, FL subframes, etc.).

The problem with using the adjustable pan-hard to locate the axle laterally is that it is a broken clock. It is only perfect when the car squats down and passes that point, and when it lifts and passes back through it. A very poor setup, if intended to laterally locate the axle correctly.

Archived