TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT Questions....New Guy

Ralph289

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this great site and have read a lot of info but getting blurry eyed.

Have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help.

I am contemplating purchasing a 2008 Shelby GT has 39,000 miles on it. Was told it was well kept but have not seen or drove it yet.

What should I look for besides normal car stuff like tires, engine, trans, rear end, brake noises.

I have read a lot about stripe and scoop problems.

What about clutch problems ??

Also what is about average for gas mileage, believe it has a 3:55 rear, and is premium gas a must ?

Anything else I should keep an eye out for.

Thanks for your help

Ralph

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this great site and have read a lot of info but getting blurry eyed.

I am contemplating purchasing a 2008 Shelby GT has 39,000 miles on it. Was told it was well kept but have not seen or drove it yet.

What should I look for besides normal car stuff like tires, engine, trans, rear end, brake noises.

Also what is about average for gas mileage, believe it has a 3:55 rear, and is premium gas a must ?

Thanks for your help

Ralph

First of all, Ralph, welcome to Team Shelby! As you've already discovered, there is a TON of great information to be found here and lots of nice folks!

39,000 miles, eh? Well, as you stated, naturally you should have a qualified mechanic take a good look at the car and definitely take it for an extended test drive. Buying from owner or dealer? Suggect you get a CarFax or similar report regardless.

Things that are more or less normal for the Shelby GT: Shifter rattle - some have it, some don't, and there are many suggested fixes. Suspension squeaks and rattles - again, varies from car to car, and you've got to expect some of this, just make sure nothing's broken under there! Scoop and stripes are a huge issue - the original vinyl stripes on a lot of Shelby GTs went bad (fading, peeling, discoloration), and the same with the scoops, (warping away from the hood) - the 2008 stripes maybe not as bad as previous models, but the scoops/stripes are an issue that can be addressed through warranty, (if you can still get it at 39k - probably on your own there). I haven't had any clutch issues, but I don't thrash mine like some folks might, then again, I haven't noted to many issues from members on this forum. Gas mileage, as they say, "will vary according to your driving style"! Average highway is 20+mpg and city a bit less at around 14+, some get way better, some way worse! Premium gas is a must, UNLESS you get the car tuned for lower octane for economy! My own thought is just to run premium and leave it alone!

Try and get all of the orginal "stuff" that came with the car: Floor mats, dash plate, underhood ID plate, paperwork, badging, engine pieces, etc. Look out for non-standard modifications.

More folks will chime in I'm sure!

Welcome aboard!

Sam

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help

Ralph

Ralph,

Welcome and enjoy all the information that is shared on Team Shelby.

2008 Shelby GT has 39,000 miles - sounds like a daily driver, but that would not deter me if all is well with the SGT.

Yes, normal issues should be checked for certain.

If original tires then likely close to end of their useful life. Brake pads should be checked too, but fairly inexpensive to replace if stock calipers.

Also, look for changes from the original equipment.

Some changes others make are nice upgrades:

- like Brembo brakes on the front, which would require changing out the stock wheels

> stainless steel brake lines

- adjustable pan hard bar ( if you have access to view the undercarriage)

- and the list could go on & on

We saw a 2007 SGT on a used car lot this spring and it was kind of sad because the changes that were made did not suit the SGT IMO

Uncertain if there were any issues with the 2008 SGT as to hood scoop & stripes....thought that this was just 2007 models

Yes, it has 3:55 gears assuming all is stock

Yes, premium gas is required due to tune done at Shelby.

Average gas mileage will depend on how you drive it.

I check every tank and after 19,000 miles:

- normal mpg is around 22

- high on a 300 mile trip was 28.5

- spirited driving around 19

- a day at the track 8.5

Anything else to keep an eye for...

- uncertain what the asking price is, but values have come down quite a bit

- if it is a good deal, how soon can you be driving it with a smile

Best of luck

Larry

Thanks for the Great info !

As I have been a mechanic for 35 years I know basically what to look for but have never purchased a Shelby and knowing what you mentions about common problems is a Great help.

Yes it does have all orginal "stuff" that came with the car: Floor mats, dash plate, underhood ID plate, paperwork, badging, engine pieces, etc. with no for non-standard modifications. By the pictures I have seen.

My biggest concern is the clutch, I hear the dealers want a ton of money to change one, I have changed a ton of them myself but am now getting too old for that and retired so have no lift to work under.

THANKS for the help

Ralph

Ralph,

Welcome and enjoy all the information that is shared on Team Shelby.

2008 Shelby GT has 39,000 miles - sounds like a daily driver, but that would not deter me if all is well with the SGT.

Yes, normal issues should be checked for certain.

If original tires then likely close to end of their useful life. Brake pads should be checked too, but fairly inexpensive to replace if stock calipers.

Also, look for changes from the original equipment.

Some changes others make are nice upgrades:

- like Brembo brakes on the front, which would require changing out the stock wheels

> stainless steel brake lines

- adjustable pan hard bar ( if you have access to view the undercarriage)

- and the list could go on & on

We saw a 2007 SGT on a used car lot this spring and it was kind of sad because the changes that were made did not suit the SGT IMO

Uncertain if there were any issues with the 2008 SGT as to hood scoop & stripes....thought that this was just 2007 models

Yes, it has 3:55 gears assuming all is stock

Yes, premium gas is required due to tune done at Shelby.

Average gas mileage will depend on how you drive it.

I check every tank and after 19,000 miles:

- normal mpg is around 22

- high on a 300 mile trip was 28.5

- spirited driving around 19

- a day at the track 8.5

Anything else to keep an eye for...

- uncertain what the asking price is, but values have come down quite a bit

- if it is a good deal, how soon can you be driving it with a smile

Best of luck

Larry

Thanks wow that great gas mileage, I expected much less.

Tires look new in the pictures.

priced at $21,000 do you think that is a fair price, maybe able to get he down to $20,000 wish it had less miles but it has been all dealer serviced.

Thanks

I just pm'd you on that topic lol.... personally, that's the most i would pay for one with that many miles... 4k more gets you an '07 with 5-10k miles these days, i'm not real up on the '08 values, but seems like high teens would be right for that car to me....

Thanks wow that great gas mileage, I expected much less.

Tires look new in the pictures.

priced at $21,000 do you think that is a fair price, maybe able to get he down to $20,000 wish it had less miles but it has been all dealer serviced.

Thanks

That is very good milage. Depending on driving style will set the stage.

My SGT is supercharged and I have a hard time driving "normal". I reset the mileage gizmo on fill-ups and I seem to get a combined 17ish mpg. Keep in mind, your style may vary and if NA it will be better. Before the SC, I was around 19-20 combined.

Also look to make sure the dash plaque is there as well as the under-hood plaque. If you get a chance, please post up pics as we all like that and we could give even better input.

$21000 for a 39000 mile car is at the upper edge, IMHO. You could probably talk them down or look for a lower milage 07...

Great cars and welcome to TS!

Dan

That is very good milage. Depending on driving style will set the stage.

My SGT is supercharged and I have a hard time driving "normal". I reset the mileage gizmo on fill-ups and I seem to get a combined 17ish mpg. Keep in mind, your style may vary and if NA it will be better. Before the SC, I was around 19-20 combined.

Also look to make sure the dash plaque is there as well as the under-hood plaque. If you get a chance, please post up pics as we all like that and we could give even better input.

$21000 for a 39000 mile car is at the upper edge, IMHO. You could probably talk them down or look for a lower milage 07...

Great cars and welcome to TS!

Dan

Here are a few pics.

Thanks

Ralph

post-29903-12831173674_thumb.jpg

post-29903-128311738625_thumb.jpg

post-29903-12831177872_thumb.jpg

post-29903-12831173674_thumb.jpg

post-29903-128311738625_thumb.jpg

post-29903-12831177872_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics.

Thanks

Ralph

The stripes and scoop look good to me. A very clean car. I would test drive (the $hit) out of it and try to get the price lowered because of the milage.

Very nice car. You will love it!

Good luck

Dan

That car in this market , hate to say this .....$20K. The reason is the mileage as this was a daily driver and even though it appears to be in excellent condition that is expected with a Shelby these days. You can call the selling dealership and ask them what they would pay you for a 2008 SGT with 35K miles on it, you'll see I am very close, maybe a bit high.

I'd say the price is in the ballpark. I wouldn't worry too much about the clutch unless you are hearing something while you're testing driving it. The stock GT clutch is solid. I have 35K on my stock clutch and have about 150 passes at the drag strip and many road race events. Hell, I even smoked it once at the drag strip while doing my burnout(had it in 3rd) for a good 10 seconds. It's a Ford! It's still going strong!

Here are a few pics.

Thanks

Ralph

The hood pins are all jacked up on that one! They don't have them in right in the first place, but if they need to be replaced, they are easy to get from Shelby...most have discolored the lanyard covering...I finally got tired of having the discoloration and cut it off of my lanyards then sprayed them with automotive clear coat from a can and I haven't had any more problems with discoloration on them...20K for that car sounds like a good deal, but as others have stated, drive it and make sure everything is up to par...I have almost 24K on mine and drive it a lot mostly as a daily driver, hammer on it every once in a while, and I have no idea how long a stock clutch will last, but I'm sure I'll find out, because I'm not getting rid of the car any time soon...Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted!

OH, BTW, we'll be close cousins...mine is 08SGT0235

The hood pins are all jacked up on that one! They don't have them in right in the first place, but if they need to be replaced, they are easy to get from Shelby...most have discolored the lanyard covering...I finally got tired of having the discoloration and cut it off of my lanyards then sprayed them with automotive clear coat from a can and I haven't had any more problems with discoloration on them...20K for that car sounds like a good deal, but as others have stated, drive it and make sure everything is up to par...I have almost 24K on mine and drive it a lot mostly as a daily driver, hammer on it every once in a while, and I have no idea how long a stock clutch will last, but I'm sure I'll find out, because I'm not getting rid of the car any time soon...Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted!

OH, BTW, we'll be close cousins...mine is 08SGT0235

Hi thanks for the info.

Can you explain what you mean "the hood pins are all jacked up" Sorry I'm new at these Shelby's

Thanks

Hi thanks for the info.

Can you explain what you mean "the hood pins are all jacked up" Sorry I'm new at these Shelby's

Thanks

looking at the pic, they have the pins "in" but not latched, the rings should be spring loaded to stay shut, if not, you will need new ones. not an expensive fix, only $100 ish... my guess is they had the hood up prior to the pic and the rings are likely just fine...

Here are a few pics.

Thanks

Ralph

Welcome Ralph I have mentioned this before on this site it maybe a long shot. But the last time down by hilton head over a year ago. The ford dealer on route 17 he had a bunch of new 08's he couldn't sell, I'll try and find it also see if he has a web page. That price is also fair if anything lower mileage for the same price is out there. Do a car fax and if you know a cop he can run the vin# to see who own it before. Also if any accidents.

Welcome Ralph I have mentioned this before on this site it maybe a long shot. But the last time down by hilton head over a year ago. The ford dealer on route 17 he had a bunch of new 08's he couldn't sell, I'll try and find it also see if he has a web page. That price is also fair if anything lower mileage for the same price is out there. Do a car fax and if you know a cop he can run the vin# to see who own it before. Also if any accidents.

Think I found the web site http://www.goseeoc.com/

But don't see and Shelby GT's listed in stock.

Thanks

Think I found the web site http://www.goseeoc.com/

But don't see and Shelby GT's listed in stock.

Thanks

Thats then place and shocked he doesn't even have a used one but there is 07 GT 500 red 8,000mls asking 37,000. I would look around some more get one with lower miles for a good price. I'll keep an eye out just tell what you want also my neighbor is best friends with my ford dealer he maybe able to track you down one.

Good luck and stay away from craigslist !!!

Thats then place and shocked he doesn't even have a used one but there is 07 GT 500 red 8,000mls asking 37,000. I would look around some more get one with lower miles for a good price. I'll keep an eye out just tell what you want also my neighbor is best friends with my ford dealer he maybe able to track you down one.

Good luck and stay away from craigslist !!!

Stock 2008 Shelby GT Vista Blue Coupe not too high on miles.

Thanks

Stock 2008 Shelby GT Vista Blue Coupe not too high on miles.

Thanks

Dealer: Matt Blatt Glassboro

Call: 888-807-0853

2008 shelby gt blue stock 1,600 mls found on cars.com

Stock #: NG8280 VIN: 1ZVHT82H185126455 he's located in NJ if you decide you want it and you fly up let me know will pick you up and take you there. The pic's look good and you can talk him down

# 2 Courtesy ford

Price $30,475 Reduced

1-888-327-0347

Mileage 8,315

Body Style Coupe

Exterior Color Vista Blue Clearcoat Metallic

Interior Color Dark Charcoal W/Aberdeen Embos

Engine 8 Cylinder Gasoline

Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear

Fuel Type Gasoline

Doors Two Door

Stock No. P3855

Good luck

Went to see the car in person today, what a disappointment !

First off dealer wanted to add $3000 to it (" see the fine print in the ad" BS)

The stripes were shot, all needed to be replaced.

Worst of all major rust around the two hood pins & bubbled pained !! Not sure who put this hood on, hope not Ford, where they drill the two big holes for the hood pins there was NO paint there at all just bear metal when looking at the holes from the inside of the hood !! Maybe you all should check your hoods to make sure you don't have the same thing.

Also body paint slightly faded from the Florida sun.

Sure looked good in the pictures.

Ended up just going with a New 2011 Mustang MCA tired of looking at junk.

Thanks for your help guys!

Ralph

Went to see the car in person today, what a disappointment !

First off dealer wanted to add $3000 to it (" see the fine print in the ad" BS)

The stripes were shot, all needed to be replaced.

Worst of all major rust around the two hood pins & bubbled pained !! Not sure who put this hood on, hope not Ford, where they drill the two big holes for the hood pins there was NO paint there at all just bear metal when looking at the holes from the inside of the hood !! Maybe you all should check your hoods to make sure you don't have the same thing.

Also body paint slightly faded from the Florida sun.

Sure looked good in the pictures.

Ended up just going with a New 2011 Mustang MCA tired of looking at junk.

Thanks for your help guys!

Ralph

I really don't like used cars never had luck with them !! But when, I bought my M3 it had 1,700 mls on it. They want 54,000 for it and it was loaded. I told the dealer that its cherry was already pop and has the someone butt smell. I told them for 49,000 that I can see past the smell. It was there last 2005 to sell before 2006 came they said No to my price. I called the sales every friday for 3 weeks still a Big No. The 4th week they called me 50,000 it's yours book was 54,000.

Anthony

Archived