TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shift linkage

glhs0075

Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shift linkage let go today shifting from 1 -2. Had to get towed home. I'll start taking things apart tomorrow. This sucks because my daily driver is an hour away!

Been there check your shift linkage bushings at shift rod attachment points mine let go when car was under warranty I have since replaced them all I also keep ALL the shift linkage lubed well they tend to bind. My car is not driven much I believe it only has around 6500 miles thats sixty five hundred low miles but every spring I check shifter Bruce

Been there check your shift linkage bushings at shift rod attachment points mine let go when car was under warranty I have since replaced them all I also keep ALL the shift linkage lubed well they tend to bind. My car is not driven much I believe it only has around 6500 miles thats sixty five hundred low miles but every spring I check shifter Bruce

The bushing at the end of the rod came apart. I'm really hoping I can find an OEM one in stock.

• 1 year later...

Dodge still has the part. I'll get you the p/n.

Part number 4348401 Ball Joint List $50.50

This is the socket assy that connect to the main rod from the shifter. It mates to a metal ball on a metal pivot piece.

Robert

Yes, the ball joint is still available. Luckily, this was the piece that went in mine. Also, when mine went one of the two rods was still availble, I assume it still is. Bruce, let me know what you think of the kit once you get it. I'm thinking about getting one too, but it's not a priority at the moment.

Thanks for sharing the part # Robert, I had that info handy when my linkage let go last year, but couldn't find it now! I dug out my service manual with the hopes of getting part' numbers for Bruce, but surprisingly it has very little detail on the L-body linkage!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/d/844-1/DSCN0015.jpg

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/d/847-1/DSCN0016.jpg

http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/d/850-1/DSCN0017.jpg

there is some photo's, Stephan on pnw-sdac.org was making these, another guy on turbododge.com makes them now. Stephan can get you the list, then you use a die on your linkage to make threads and make them your self too. Or remove the POS 525 and install a 523 or 568. They can use the stock Momo shift knob btw

http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Great_Lakes_Hot_Rods/L-Body_Shifter_Kits_For_Sale.html

thought I had a URL on it and I did. This guy makes new hiem joint linkage sets.

If you buy the Mopar shift kit your still using the plastic ends. Until you get past that your still going to have a head ache.

BTW at the end of the main rod, the one from the shifter. If you drill a new hole and move that point an inch towards the fulcrum you get a fast ratio shifter!

I can blow up a 525 in a couple blocks, they shatter like glass, so I can't back telling anyone to keep it. But if your going to stay stone stock this linkage, the chromoly 3rd gear plate and the MP spider gears with girdle should be considered a must. I added just a stage 2 Shelby computer to a 87 GLHS and couldn't pull it out of 3rd after pushing it. So even if the diff survives the 3rd gear will push out of the case. With Girdle, MP spiders and the plate I've seen high 12s with a 525. The owner was the GM for the Seattle BMW so he could afford to fix it lol. :shift:

• 7 months later...

Bought the kit above the car shifts like a real sports car, well made metal ends had shop in Waukesha WI install nice product great install job contact me if you want details car shifts great, Now if only the clutch was adjustable!!! bruce

Archived