TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement belt

AstroDan

Am I smoking crack, or what?

The belt that is noted on my Whipple paperwork that Shelby installed with the blower is a 124.7" # K061247. That is also the number stamped on the belt.

How come not one auto parts store here that stocks Gates belts can even order this? According to their computers, this doesn't exist. What have you guys that have replaced the belts used?

Help...

Dan

I had the same problem as you when trying to buy the same belt as a spare. This belt does exsist but only from Napa auto parts stores. If they have it in stock then there will probably be just one. Not to many people want to stock 70.00 belts.I tried O'Rielly, Carquest and Auto zone with no luck. O'Rielly showed the number corectly in there book but when they tried to order the gates belt , it wouldn't take in the computer. I suggest you always keep a spare as these are not easy to obtain. Good Luck.

Am I smoking crack, or what?

The belt that is noted on my Whipple paperwork that Shelby installed with the blower is a 124.7" # K061247. That is also the number stamped on the belt.

How come not one auto parts store here that stocks Gates belts can even order this? According to their computers, this doesn't exist. What have you guys that have replaced the belts used?

Help...

Dan

I had the same problem. My Ford dealer could not “see” the Gates part so I went to Car Quest. They could see the part number but could not order it. The belt is made specifically for Whipple and apparently we cannot get it from a parts store. I went on line, filled out their order form and faxed it in. They ask for a credit card number on the fax form but if you write in to have them call you for that information they will do so. The belt came yesterday. I wanted a spare belt and since they are not found just anywhere I am glad I did.

The phone number I used was (559)442-1261. The fax number is (559)442-4153. The belt was $89.99 (ouch) and shipping was $15.00 for a total of $104.99. The part number they show on my invoice is WB-124-5, which is different than the Gates number in the Whipple installation packet material.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

As a heads up, make sure you keep a diagram in your car to properly install the belt if it goes. You also need a tensioner arm tool to take the slack off the tensioner arm and a socker/driver to loosen and remove the bolt on the bracket found on the upper right side of the belt.

Also, if things really go south, I keep my original fan belt in the car which can be installed if my spare S/C belt goes belly-up too. Just bypass the supercharger pulleys and follow the instructions in your owner's manual on how to install the stock belt.

Man I hate to burst your bubble! But I order them two at a time from the local NAPA store at a cost of $35.00 each + $7.00 shipping. It usually takes about a week.

If I could stop tearing belts I could save myself some money! and it looks like I'm getting them the cheapest!!!

I agree with Springer on this too, carry a spare and the original belt. I've been left sitting one too many times! You have to loosen the small idler pulley just below the SC to put a new belt on and it has to be moved up out of the way for the stock belt. As another side note if you forget your wrenches the lug wrench will work to loosen the 19mm on the small idler also!

Man I hate to burst your bubble! But I order them two at a time from the local NAPA store at a cost of $35.00 each + $7.00 shipping. It usually takes about a week.

If I could stop tearing belts I could save myself some money! and it looks like I'm getting them the cheapest!!!

I agree with Springer on this too, carry a spare and the original belt. I've been left sitting one too many times! You have to loosen the small idler pulley just below the SC to put a new belt on and it has to be moved up out of the way for the stock belt. As another side note if you forget your wrenches the lug wrench will work to loosen the 19mm on the small idler also!

Interesting. I will have to check with my local NAPA store to see if they can order these belts to save a bundle. The Car Quest folks said that these specialty belts that are made for companies like Whipple usually cannot be ordered by a parts store. Looks like it depends upon which store you ask. I also plan on carrying my stock belt. So far I have had no problems but have seen enough belt complaints on this site to make me nervous to travel without one. Gee, no spare tire or no spare belt. I wonder which one will bite me first.

I posted this in another thread and feel it's worthwhile reposting here.......

Dustin at Whipple replied with the follow statement.....

"What they need to do is open the tensioner to max position with a breaker bar. With a sharpie, draw a line across the rotating arm and the base. This shows the max position open.

Then install the belt, put at max open on tensioner. Start motor, let idle a few minutes, then rack the throttle 4-5 times. You can also watch the belt during this time, to see if its tracking properly, if something else is bent, then it won’t track true.

Now that the belt is hot, it will stretch .5-1”. They should be able to see the tensioner has now moved in its position, so they’ll need to slide the idler down more, and get the tensioner back to the max positon. After running 50-100 miles, they should check again to verify it has not moved, if it has, then it needs to be re-adjusted."

Once you install the belt push the clutch and the gas to the floor (I don't know how you do this with an automatic tho), this will bypass the ignition and you can crank the engine over a few seconds and take some slack out of it right away.

I posted this in another thread and feel it's worthwhile reposting here.......

Dustin at Whipple replied with the follow statement.....

"What they need to do is open the tensioner to max position with a breaker bar. With a sharpie, draw a line across the rotating arm and the base. This shows the max position open.

Then install the belt, put at max open on tensioner. Start motor, let idle a few minutes, then rack the throttle 4-5 times. You can also watch the belt during this time, to see if its tracking properly, if something else is bent, then it won’t track true.

Now that the belt is hot, it will stretch .5-1”. They should be able to see the tensioner has now moved in its position, so they’ll need to slide the idler down more, and get the tensioner back to the max positon. After running 50-100 miles, they should check again to verify it has not moved, if it has, then it needs to be re-adjusted."

Once you install the belt push the clutch and the gas to the floor (I don't know how you do this with an automatic tho), this will bypass the ignition and you can crank the engine over a few seconds and take some slack out of it right away.

Great info. Thanks

I went by my local NAPA. The guy is digging into it right now and will call me back with timing. He found the number and expects they'll keep a stock on hand now that someone (I guess I was the 1st) has ordered one. I'll see.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Dan

Archived