TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT 3184 aka "Halle" wounded

"Halle" went down yesterday with a bad pinion bearing. Not sure what caused it to go bad. The Ford tech is tearing it down today. I noticed a noise in the rearend on my way home on Monday. I went by the dealer yesterday to let the tech listen to it as I was getting ready for a road trip and wanted to make sure it was safe to drive. Had to change plans after he heard it and said don't drive it. Good thing it is under warranty!

Sucks! hopefully they don't blame it on the blower!

knock on wood I think I am okay. They did the gear swap for me (went to 3.73s) about a year ago so it is all warranty work. Just glad it happened while i was in town and not on the road.

knock on wood I think I am okay. They did the gear swap for me (went to 3.73s) about a year ago so it is all warranty work. Just glad it happened while i was in town and not on the road.

You should be fine thats why it's good to let the dealer do the important stuff. My sure you give the tech the italian hand shake :hysterical:

My tech is awesome. He just picked up a 2007 GT500 for 28k with only 746 miles on the odometer! The customer had to sell it and told him he didn't want anyone else to have it!

I did not get a chance to talk to him this afternoon hopefully I will be on the road tomorrow.

Sounds like a bad gear install or break-in from your 3.73 swap. I had a similar problem with a gear swap in a Jeep. Unfortunately, my problem started on my trip instead of before. The rear end went out 460 miles from home!

Sounds like a bad gear install or break-in from your 3.73 swap. I had a similar problem with a gear swap in a Jeep. Unfortunately, my problem started on my trip instead of before. The rear end went out 460 miles from home!

I did the gear swap last summer, and I have been to the track a few times since then so it should have let go months ago. A few months ago I missed a shift on the road course went from third to second instead of third to fourth. It hopped the wheels pretty good so this could have loosened the pinion nut but you would think any damage would have been noticeable right away? Since then I have had the car at the drag strip at least once.

A few months ago I missed a shift on the road course went from third to second instead of third to fourth. It hopped the wheels pretty good so this could have loosened the pinion nut but you would think any damage would have been noticeable right away?

If that was what caused it, I would count myself lucky that the rear end was all that got hurt, with hot tires,Truetrac etc.. the damage seems to move toward the front of the car by way of the clutch all the way to a rod cap.

If that was what caused it, I would count myself lucky that the rear end was all that got hurt, with hot tires,Truetrac etc.. the damage seems to move toward the front of the car by way of the clutch all the way to a rod cap.

My hope is it stopped at the rearend. My budget does not have the funds for a motor build right now.

Update: I received a text from my tech last night at 7:30 and he said the carrier bearings are bad ( looked like they got hot), gears looked good and the fluid looked bad (thin) ? I have the FRP rear diff cover and I was running Royal Purple gear oil? I am going by this morning to talk to him personally.

update part 2: So has anyone had trouble running Royal Purple gear oil? The tech thought it was very thin compared to Ford gear oil, and considering the damage to the bearings he thinks the oil may have contributed to the bearings going south. Looks like I will get it back on Monday.

we'll still no car. The wear pattern on the gears looked really good as they came out, but the tech is having a difficult time to get the patterns right as it goes back together. So she is still on the rack.

Can you describe the noise a little more?

I had the driveshaft changed to a one piece dynotech and ever since it was installed I hear a major clunking noise from the rear end when I hammer it from a start or when at lower speeds I shift fast.

I also missed a shift as well. I was going about 70 was in 5th then down shifted to 3rd and hammered it then I heard this insane loud bang from the rear end. Then at the next stop sign I hammered it again and heard the same noise now I am paranoid that the noise is something serious.

Can you describe the noise a little more?

I had the driveshaft changed to a one piece dynotech and ever since it was installed I hear a major clunking noise from the rear end when I hammer it from a start or when at lower speeds I shift fast.

I also missed a shift as well. I was going about 70 was in 5th then down shifted to 3rd and hammered it then I heard this insane loud bang from the rear end. Then at the next stop sign I hammered it again and heard the same noise now I am paranoid that the noise is something serious.

Check the UCA, make sure the nut's tight and that there's nothing bent.

The noise I heard was almost like a scraping noise. I could get the car rolling at about 50mph and take it out of gear and you could hear basically the bearings in the rearend make the scraping noise. When I changed to 3.73's the rearend had a little more whine to it than stock when you let off the throttle. Tech said he set the gears deep as he knows I take the car to the track. That whine was much louder last week when I took the car in. The tech thought the nut on the pinion gear had loosened. It didn't but the pinion bearing was bad and the carrier bearing had some unusual wear and looked like they had gotten hot.

update:

So the tech was losing his mind trying to get the pattern correct on the gear setup. Well this morning he figured it out Ford has updated the pinion bearing and race. When the part man ordered the part he got the new bearing without a new race so even though they are close their is a difference and it threw everything off. Should pick it up first thing in the am! So anyone replacing pinion bearing make sure you get new races with them!

• 4 weeks later...

Well "Halle" is still on the rack with the rearend, and now the tranny out. The carrier bearing and pinion bearings were replaced and the noise was still present. Additionally when he put it back together the gears would not pattern correctly on the coast side. After talking with other shops the Tech determined that the gears were worn funny from the bearings being bad. Now the fight is on with the shop. I bought the gears from them and had them installed but the 12 month 12 thousand mile warranty is out (May 2009 was when we did them). So it looks like I get to replace the gears on my dime. Funny thing is FRP has new gears that are manfactured using a new process that makes them stronger? So we are waiting on a set to arrive which hopefully will be on Friday. The tranny issue has been an ever growing chirp every time you start out or down shift. The tech thought it was a hot spot on the fly wheel/clutch but it ended up being a bad pilot bearing. While the tranny is out I am upgrading the line from the master cylinder to the slave with this new piece from JPC racing.

parts.jpg

parts.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

"Halle" is now back! Ended up having to replace gears. When the bearings failed it did something to the gears. New gears went in with new bearings, setup and now finishing the break in period. While the car was down I had the stock clutch line replaced with a new braided line. Can't really tell a difference in the clutch feel, however i think the big change will be that the line won't expand and get air in it when things get hot. Ford did not cover the entire cost. I bought the gears from the dealer and they did not warranty them, nor did they warranty the bearings. The Ford tech was awesome, he covered the cost of the labor since the dealership/Ford did not. I am going to be speaking with the service manager and the owner about this.

Archived