TEAM SHELBY FORUM

3M Clear Bra

Seabee

thinking about getting the 3M Clear Bra installed. Does anyone have good/bad experiences?

I was in the shop and the owner was telling me that he waxes the car before he puts it on, so that it can be removed easier. But before that when I dropped my car off a guy was in complaining that they removed the clear bra and pulled paint with it (don't think the owner knows that I know this).

Have had my car for about a Month and already have a nice paint chip in the hood just below the hood vent.

Also have what looks like a drip from painting at the Factory at the underside of the hood along the left front corner.

I have the clear bra on my car and would definitely recommend it to anyone. Most important thing I found out while researching them, was to make sure the installer really knows what they're doing. I sat and watched mine get installed and it's definitely not something I would have ever been able to do....making sure all the edges match up perfectly. The bra parts on my hood and fenders are 1 piece each, but my front bumper consists of 4 separate pieces and the edges are perfect matched up.

I was also told to have a good detail on the areas where the bra would be, so that if I ever had to take it off, I wouldn't have any issues. As far as upkeep, I use turtle wax ice to keep it nice and slick, so that whenever I do get any bugs or debris on it, all I have to do is take a damp micro-fiber rag and wipe it off.

I have not put a clear bra on my Shelby but I did have one on a Porsche and came to really dislike it. After about a year or so it was very easy to see where the edge went across the hood line (about half way up the front) and then it just started driving me crazy. Every time I walked up to the car I could see that edge, when I drove the car I could see that edge. I finally ended up having it removed from the hood ... no damage .... but did leave it on the bumper and the rocker panels. Maybe if my car was some other color than Guards Red I might have learned to live with it but I could not. By the way using a good wax on on it is a great idea and don't ever try to rub off a bug spot when it is dry or with anything but a soft wet towel......

And 08 Mustang is right .... make sure you get a good installer .... saw a number of Porsches at meets that obviously did not visit a top notch installer ....

thinking about getting the 3M Clear Bra installed. Does anyone have good/bad experiences?

I was in the shop and the owner was telling me that he waxes the car before he puts it on, so that it can be removed easier. But before that when I dropped my car off a guy was in complaining that they removed the clear bra and pulled paint with it (don't think the owner knows that I know this).

Have had my car for about a Month and already have a nice paint chip in the hood just below the hood vent.

Also have what looks like a drip from painting at the Factory at the underside of the hood along the left front corner.

do a search on the forum--theres lots of info,good and not so good on the bra,that you need to consider

do a search on the forum--theres lots of info,good and not so good on the bra,that you need to consider

Yea there is a lot of information on this forum already and it's part of why I decided not to 3M the front of my car. My decision would be totally different if I didn't have a striped car.

All of that being said I did do the sides of my car and it looks great, and by great I mean you can't see it. I did the sides because the SVT pack front tires were kicking up a lot of stones that were hitting the sides of the vehicle. The 3M goes along the whole length of the car following the protruding body line and covering the GT500 side stripe. While it's not very visible that low on the car and in the position it is in I can totally see why people didn't like the front end 3M. It simply doesn't fit pefectly were it passes over the edge of the stripes. There will always be a tiny bit of a visible line covering the stipes even though the 3M guys said they would wrap it and make it as invisibile as possible I don't believe I'd be happy with the result. I can see now why Grabber did seperate pieces for his stripes.

I'll stick with touch up paint/langka touch up paint system and replace the stripes if I ever need to. My last three year old summer vehicle had a grand total of two rock chips so I'm just not going to worry about it. My friends Gallardo and S5 both have full 3M and some other product on the windshield and it looks fatanstic. If I didn't have stripes I'd be all over it.

All of that being said I did do the sides of my car and it looks great, and by great I mean you can't see it. I did the sides because the SVT pack front tires were kicking up a lot of stones that were hitting the sides of the vehicle. The 3M goes along the whole length of the car following the protruding body line and covering the GT500 side stripe.

Where did you order the 3M set for the 2011 GT500? On the shelbystore site it says they are coming soon... I've been looking to get it after a rough little ride to Montreal left me with a few butt-fugly dings in the front end....

*updated* I went to inspect my front end closer this morning and I am pretty bummed about the sorry state the bumper is in. It looks like I hit every flying stone to Montreal and back. Little scuffs, some small paint dings, some TINY indentations in the paint with no scratch or chip, and it looks like I hit road debris or something because there is a line of small chips and scuffs along the side of my front plate that are too close to be a coincidence. I don't even know how I should approach this.... I ordered some touch up paint and the Langka system but I am really going to look into a clear bra.... My poor baby...

I know, as my DD, that its going to get a few dings...but that doesn't stop me from wanting it to be perfect :cry:

Anybody have any recommendations? Should I get the front buffed out / polished / professionally touched up? Will any of that affect putting on a clear bra? I heard that having the clear bra on a chip could lead to paint pulling off when you remove the bra...

I have a xpel clear bra and like the protection it provides. I had a section that hand some distortion after installation. Had it removed and reinstalled looks great. No issues with taking it off. This web site may help www.pdiclearbra.com these guys installed mine for about $800, covered headlights, side mirrors, front lower quarter behind front wheels, and front of car. I like the quick wipe off of bugs and debris with plexus and micro fiber cloth. Before the clear bra if I wanted to clean off the front I would need to wash the entire car. Now I just wipe down and don't have to worry about scratches in my paint.

Where did you order the 3M set for the 2011 GT500? On the shelbystore site it says they are coming soon... I've been looking to get it after a rough little ride to Montreal left me with a few butt-fugly dings in the front end....

*updated* I went to inspect my front end closer this morning and I am pretty bummed about the sorry state the bumper is in. It looks like I hit every flying stone to Montreal and back. Little scuffs, some small paint dings, some TINY indentations in the paint with no scratch or chip, and it looks like I hit road debris or something because there is a line of small chips and scuffs along the side of my front plate that are too close to be a coincidence. I don't even know how I should approach this.... I ordered some touch up paint and the Langka system but I am really going to look into a clear bra.... My poor baby...

I know, as my DD, that its going to get a few dings...but that doesn't stop me from wanting it to be perfect :cry:

Anybody have any recommendations? Should I get the front buffed out / polished / professionally touched up? Will any of that affect putting on a clear bra? I heard that having the clear bra on a chip could lead to paint pulling off when you remove the bra...

In my opinion if you didn't do the clear bra when new I don't think it's a good idea to do it now.... my unprofessional, but experienced rational behind that is: I think if it's not perfectly factory smooth you will end up with distortions and possibly small bubbles, from what research I did it's not recommended to put over repaired chips.. mainly what I read is that it will pull off the paint.. i really think the bigger problem would be that the bra will highlight the repaired area... but, like I said I don't install these things so take that for what it's worth...

3M installed 1 year ago and no issues

Installer with an assistant took all day with end result perfect. He did not use a pre-cut pattern; all was hand trimmed. Complete front end, a ways up on the hood, leading edge of hood scoop and side scoops, a pillars, rocker panels above the stripes, in front and behind the rear wheels and over the stripes were you access the trunk.

Receive nothing but positive comments from everyone that sees it

Sure there is a line across the hood if you look really close, but prefer that to rock chips

The installer is the most important part!

So do your research and pick the expert even if it is a bit out of your area and cost more, just my opinion.

btw, car had 17,000 miles on it when 3M was installed

Another option is a product called "ArmorCoat" - it's a more permanent solution as it sprayed on, but after about a year and a half on mine now and 15k miles, it's still like brand new. No fading or weird changes of anykind, and not one chip anywhere. Not on the treated area anyway, I do now have a couple further up the hood above the protected section :banghead: . But again with the product itself, I'm VERY satisfied!

See below for more info on my initial impressions:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44134-armor-coat-clear-bra/page__p__728343__fromsearch__1entry728343

Archived