TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18" Razors fit but stick out about 1 1/2 inch

BillyRay

Hi,

The 18" Razors fit and I,ll have pics by Sat. I noticed that the tires stick out alittle and I really dont like when my tire are not inside the wheel well. I' am thinking I could purchase a wheel well flair kit in flat black. Does anybody now where to look?

The wheels look really nice from the sides BUT when I'am behind the car I dont like my tires sticking out at ALL. Any suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BillyRay Phx az..

American Racing Razors

SATURDAY 2-10-07 update: Here are pics and the 45 look OK on the front so if I kept these wheels I need to go with 45 on the rear, this so they dont stick out so much.

Well guys what do you think??? I told my buddy I wasnt really happy spending that kind of money and have my tires stick out. After a close examination today I might be able to live with a tire that is not as wide so they will fit almost inside the wheel well. I research for maybe getting fender trim but no one has it for a Mustang. I would do fender trim cut to fit but still no luck.

I do like the Razors and driving only one block from the house this morning I had a Dodge race me!!lol Thanks for all imput. BillyRay

UPDATE: DISCOUNT TIRE TOOK BACK THE 18' RAZORS AND PUT BACK ON MY STOCK RIMS. I WAS BUMMED THE RAZORS DID NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2-14-2007

post-3364-1171128777_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171128816_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171128846_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171129347_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171128777_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171128816_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171128846_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171129347_thumb.jpg

Sounds like they sent you the wrong off set. I would contact the seller about it and see what they will do for you. The wheels and tires should not stick out.

Many companies have 20x10.5's that sit flush with the wheel well, so somethings not right with your set.

Do you have pics?

Jay

An American Racing rep told me the only way the 18" Razors would fit is if a spacer was used to push the rims out away from the brembos. Sounds like this spacer is the reason your wheels are outside the wheel wells.

20" Razors fit without a spacer, so I imagine they do not stick out.

An American Racing rep told me the only way the 18" Razors would fit is if a spacer was used to push the rims out away from the brembos. Sounds like this spacer is the reason your wheels are outside the wheel wells.

20" Razors fit without a spacer, so I imagine they do not stick out.

We did not use spacers but I,ll have pics tomorrow and you guys can see what I'am talking about.

Please don't do that. What color is your Shelby?

;) +1 ...available at 4x4 and Off-road Shelbys Inc. <lol>

<just kiddin' BillyRay...>

Just thinking our loud, if the stock offset is about 40mm (if I recall, not sure), as long as there's more inner tub room and shock clearance, there should be no need for more offset with a wider rim as long as the basi design and size of the rim accommodates the brembos to begin with, yes?

The pix should tell all ;)

They come in two offsets. The offset you got pushes the wheels out of the fenderwell. I think its +12mm that you got, you needed the +24 they sell. Problem is the +24 wont clear the front brake calipers in the 18" wheel size. Thats what we were talking about when we told you not to get the 18's in the last thread you posted about getting 18" Razors.

Sorry, those just don't look right. Can you return them in exchange for the correct offset?

And, please don't add flairs to the wheel wells! :redcard:

I have my buddy calling American Racing on Monday to see what we can do. THEY sid they would fit so I think AM.RAC. should take them back. My buddy at Disc. said once they are mounted thats when they usually dont take them back BUT we,ll see. You still think the front stick out to much too?

I have my buddy calling American Racing on Monday to see what we can do. THEY sid they would fit so I think AM.RAC. should take them back. My buddy at Disc. said once they are mounted thats when they usually dont take them back BUT we,ll see. You still think the front stick out to much too?

the rear offset needs change for sure. does not look good at all. tire width looks narrower than stock on rear. not good

cross streets in phx? did not recognize the location

edit: is that up on south mountain?

First of all I love your color combo. I personally think 20s would have looked better though.Those shelby razors sure are NICE wheels. I just got done installing mine.Are you sure they dont have spacers on there? If you are sure. I would return them .They are definatley the wrong offset. I would also definatly highly recommend a wider tire. Those are WAY to skiny and probally are not safe on a 500HP car. No offense but it looks like the cheap way out. Im not saying you are cheap but thats what the car "reads" to me.

Those rear tires are skinnier than the fronts on my car.Thats why when I make a purchase, I thourougly research before i buy.Sometimes it sucks to spend a few more dollars to get it right but it sure does make a difference in the end result .On the other hand, sometimes a dealer will sell you something thats not adequite for the car for more profit margin........I dont know what happened here but somethings definatley wrong.

I would also like to mention that the 20" razors i just installed BARLEY clear the brembos by like a a couple of millimeters.I totally understand why 18s would not.

shelbyGT500, those Razors look super on your car!!! Are those the polished?

Thanks. They are grey centers and machined lip.Same ones that everybod sells.(jegs,summit, ect) They match the tungen stripes excellent and i feel they compliment the car excellent.Thank you for your kind words.Ive been trying to put up a new topic with a few pics but its not working right now. ill try later.

For informational purposes, I can tell everyone that you will need 20" razors on your choice of color with 24MM backspacing. Some company's claim 25Mm but there all the same wheel.Stay away from 12mm offset. these are the incorrect ones like the orange car has.Shelby only offers two sizes in 20" so the choice is not hard but you do need to know or you will end up like the orange car.

I can also say that there is absolutley NO brake clearance problems with the 20" razors. But there is absolutley no EXTRA room either. My local Town Fair tire ordered them in for me.after i did some price shopping, they matched what i could order everything seperate for. They originally quoted me $2500 I paid $1899 COMPLETE due to price matching. 4 wheels,tires,chrome valves,lugs,locks,mounting ,balancing and they even lined up the centers so all 4 are in line with the shelby spoke. They treated me awesome.Tires were included. I CHOSE NITTO 555s 275/35/20s for the rear and NITTO 555s 255/35/20 for front. This is the best fit you can get for our cars by the way.For the record, the traction is the same.no better or worse than stock 18s.I was hoping for better and maybe they will be when the temp gets above 30 degrees but for now its the same.It could have been worse so im truly happy with my choice.

The front tires are EXACTLY the same size as the factory front 18s

The rear tires are just a touch larger overall.

There is 1 other option but i do not like the way it looks.You can also get a 285/30/20 rear tire which is a lower profile tire for the rear but it actually doesnt not look "right" in my opinion.Sidewall is too small.We are VERY limited on 20" tires. There is no such thing as a 295/305/315 on a 20" for our cars .I chose what i feel to be the best for the cars overall look and traction.

Thanks. They are grey centers and machined lip.Same ones that everybod sells.(jegs,summit, ect) They match the tungen stripes excellent and i feel they compliment the car excellent.Thank you for your kind words.Ive been trying to put up a new topic with a few pics but its not working right now. ill try later.

For informational purposes, I can tell everyone that you will need 20" razors on your choice of color with 24MM backspacing. Some company's claim 25Mm but there all the same wheel.Stay away from 12mm offset. these are the incorrect ones like the orange car has.Shelby only offers two sizes in 20" so the choice is not hard but you do need to know or you will end up like the orange car.

I can also say that there is absolutley NO brake clearance problems with the 20" razors. But there is absolutley no EXTRA room either. My local Town Fair tire ordered them in for me.after i did some price shopping, they matched what i could order everything seperate for. They originally quoted me $2500 I paid $1899 COMPLETE due to price matching. 4 wheels,tires,chrome valves,lugs,locks,mounting ,balancing and they even lined up the centers so all 4 are in line with the shelby spoke. They treated me awesome.Tires were included. I CHOSE NITTO 555s 275/35/20s for the rear and NITTO 555s 255/35/20 for front. This is the best fit you can get for our cars by the way.For the record, the traction is the same.no better or worse than stock 18s.I was hoping for better and maybe they will be when the temp gets above 30 degrees but for now its the same.It could have been worse so im truly happy with my choice.

The front tires are EXACTLY the same size as the factory front 18s

The rear tires are just a touch larger overall.

There is 1 other option but i do not like the way it looks.You can also get a 285/30/20 rear tire which is a lower profile tire for the rear but it actually doesnt not look "right" in my opinion.Sidewall is too small.We are VERY limited on 20" tires. There is no such thing as a 295/305/315 on a 20" for our cars .I chose what i feel to be the best for the cars overall look and traction.

Cool! So the grey centers are painted? They almost look like grey chrome -- very nice with the black...

Question: what are the widths of your 20s?

Wouldn't less offset (12mm) move the tires in further and 24mm out (to the same location as standard if the same width rim). I'm a little confused on that... any insight?

Cool! So the grey centers are painted? They almost look like grey chrome -- very nice with the black...

Wouldn't less offset (12mm) move the tires in further and 24mm out (to the same location as standard if the same width rim). I'm a little confused on that... any insight?

All 20" razors are 9" wide

I m the first one to admit ido not understand wheel offset and back spacing to the fullest.To me they seem like the same thing.What i do know is mine are 24mm offset and as you see by the pics on the orange car, the 12mm is opposite.

The larger backspacing moves the tire IN more. Think of it this way...zero backspacing is in the center of the wheel. 12mm is about half an inch, meaning the center of the wheel (where it bolts to the hub/spindle) is moved 12mm towards the outside of the wheel. This effectively moves the wheel IN by that amount.

Dave

Found this explanation of offset at Tire Rack, but it would seem to not jibe with the 12/24mm offset since less offset would seem to pull the wheel in further. Hmmm.

So now I'm thinking that BillyRay's must have some big offset number since the 24mm razors fit so nicely.

-Dan

<edit:> Here's also a link on how 3-piece wheels are put together

Found this explanation of offset at Tire Rack, but it would seem to not jibe with the 12/24mm offset since less offset would seem to pull the wheel in further. Hmmm.

So now I'm thinking that BillyRay's must have some big offset number since the 24mm razors fit so nicely.

-Dan

Dan, not sure what you mean....as I said previously, the more offset, the more it DOES pull the wheel in. Perhaps you're thinking of the offset being the other direction....the less common type they mention.

Dave

Dan, not sure what you mean....as I said previously, the more offset, the more it DOES pull the wheel in. Perhaps you're thinking of the offset being the other direction....the less common type they mention.

Dave

Doesn't seem that way though... if they had 24mm of negative offset (vs positive) that would be nearly a 2" difference...

Ahhhh.... :idea: that has got to be BillyRays problem!!! They gave him negative offset! !!!!!!

If ShelbyGT500 has 24mm pos offset and BillyRays 12mm offset is negative, that's 36mm difference or a tad under 1.5" Problem solved, I think!!!

-Dan

Hi,

The 18" Razors fit and I,ll have pics by Sat. I noticed that the tires stick out alittle and I really dont like when my tire are not inside the wheel well. I' am thinking I could purchase a wheel well flair kit in flat black. Does anybody now where to look?

The wheels look really nice from the sides BUT when I'am behind the car I dont like my tires sticking out at ALL. Any suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BillyRay Phx az..

American Racing Razors

SATURDAY 2-10-07 update: Here are pics and the 45 look OK on the front so if I kept these wheels I need to go with 45 on the rear, this so they dont stick out so much.

Well guys what do you think??? I told my buddy I wasnt really happy spending that kind of money and have my tires stick out. After a close examination today I might be able to live with a tire that is not as wide so they will fit almost inside the wheel well. I research for maybe getting fender trim but no one has it for a Mustang. I would do fender trim cut to fit but still no luck.

I do like the Razors and driving only one block from the house this morning I had a Dodge race me!!lol Thanks for all imput. BillyRay

The wheels look good from the side pix only. I would get that car back to the place that sold them to you immediately. Get your originals back on the car. Don't let the dealers mistake be your problem very long. If the dealer gives you any crap, call your credit card company and explain, then return the wheels. Living with those rims is not an option. You have good taste, but they took advantage of you.

Doesn't seem that way though... if they had 24mm of negative offset (vs positive) that would be nearly a 2" difference...

Ahhhh.... :idea: that has got to be BillyRays problem!!! They gave him negative offset! !!!!!!

If ShelbyGT500 has 24mm pos offset and BillyRays 12mm offset is negative, that's 36mm difference or a tad under 1.5" Problem solved, I think!!!

-Dan

I believe the GT500 has 45mm positive offset wheels with the mounting pad aprrox. 1.8" from centerline and a backspace of aprox 7". Billray has 12mm positive offset with the moounting pad approx .5" from center line and a back space of approx 5.7". This gives you aprox 1.3" of more wheel lip to the outside. The following site will explain Billyray's situation. This site was used somewhere before www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

I believe the GT500 has 45mm positive offset wheels with the mounting pad aprrox. 1.8" from centerline and a backspace of aprox 7". Billray has 12mm positive offset with the moounting pad approx .5" from center line and a back space of approx 5.7". This gives you aprox 1.3" of more wheel lip to the outside. The following site will explain Billyray's situation. This site was used somewhere before www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

Ok, 45mm - 12mm = 33mm = 1.3" ...thanks, scgt5

-Dan

<edit:> that link is broken right now it seems.

Archived