TEAM SHELBY FORUM

18" Razors fit but stick out about 1 1/2 inch

BillyRay

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp is also a good link. The stock wheels have 45mm offset and 7 inch backspacing. The Razors with 12mm offset have 5.5 inch backspacing and thus stick 1.5 inch outboard. Now here is news, with 24mm offset the Razors will stick out 1.1 inch. What's up with that? I do not understand anymore. :banghead:

To get even you have to have an offset of 51mm and then you will have the same backspacing. And that is because the Razor is 0.5 inch less wide. :ohsnap:

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp is also a good link. The stock wheels have 45mm offset and 7 inch backspacing. The Razors with 12mm offset have 5.5 inch backspacing and thus stick 1.5 inch outboard. Now here is news, with 24mm offset the Razors will stick out 1.1 inch. What's up with that? I do not understand anymore. :banghead:

To get even you have to have an offset of 51mm and then you will have the same backspacing. And that is because the Razor is 0.5 inch less wide. :ohsnap:

12mm is equal to approx .4" therefore 12mm offset gives approx 1.5" and 24mm offset gives approx 1.1" outboard. It gets confusing because of the comparison between a 9.5" wheel vs. a 9.0" wheel.

A higher positive offset number i.e. 45mm, has less rim outside of centerline than a lower number 12mm. So when you get into the negative offsets there is more rim to the outside of the center line.

12mm is equal to approx .4" therefore 12mm offset gives approx 1.5" and 24mm offset gives approx 1.1" outboard. It gets confusing because of the comparison between a 9.5" wheel vs. a 9.0" wheel.

A higher positive offset number i.e. 45mm, has less rim outside of centerline than a lower number 12mm. So when you get into the negative offsets there is more rim to the outside of the center line.

Yes, I understand that. But it is strange that the guys with the 20 inch Razors and the 'right' offset of 24mm do not complain about wheels sticking about 1 inch out. Do they or not?

Yes, I understand that. But it is strange that the guys with the 20 inch Razors and the 'right' offset of 24mm do not complain about wheels sticking about 1 inch out. Do they or not?

If my information is correct, the 20" Razor will be approx .6" to the outside of the stock wheel. I believe the 20's are 9" wide and are on 275's which is narrower than the 285's by approx .25". So the tire may end up being only .35" outside of stock. Just my guesstimation worth about 2 cents.

The Ford Racing catalog shows the OEM GT500 wheel with a 7.125 inch backspacing 181mm and thus 48mm offset. A Razor with 12mm offset will stick out 1.6 inch 41mm and the 24mm offset will stick out 1.1 inch 29mm. The calculator I use also says how much it clears suspension and fenderlip. http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp :stats:

blank.gif

blank2.gif

bg2.gif

blank.gif

blank2.gif

bg2.gif

The Ford Racing catalog shows the OEM GT500 wheel with a 7.125 inch backspacing 181mm and thus 48mm offset. A Razor with 12mm offset will stick out 1.6 inch 41mm and the 24mm offset will stick out 1.1 inch 29mm. The calculator I use also says how much it clears suspension and fenderlip. http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp :stats:

I have the 24mm offset 20" razors . They do not stick out at all.They fit the car PERFECT. I mean perfect.NOTHING like the ones on the orange car

PJ,

Maybe the Ford Racing catalog is getting you all confused with this wheel thing. The Shelby GT supplement, page 12, advises that the wheels are 18 x 9.5 in. Aluminum Multispoke, +45 mm offset. The supplement is in with the Owner's Manual located in the Black zippered bag.

On Weds of this week (2-14)

Well thanks for all the imput and I,am going to take the wheels back and put back on the factory wheels!!!!! Discount Tire has still a bone to pick with American Racing.

I,am not wasting a grand on wheels that look great BUT dont fit........

BillyRay

post-3364-1171392426_thumb.jpg

post-3364-1171392426_thumb.jpg

Hey fellas another proud shelby owner here.

I have been following this thread and not to hijack but you all sound a tad bit more knowledgable than I when t comes to tires and wheels. I am looking at the Razors also 20". My question is this the stock wheel is front 255/45/18 and the rear 285/40/18

So the Shebly site says that thye recommend using 255/35zr20's Well does this combination change the widths from the stock widths?

I do not want to sacrifice the current tire. Are the Razors thinner than the stock wheels. Maybe someone can help mt to comprehend the wheel sizing jargon.

I have been following this thread and not to hijack but you all sound a tad bit more knowledgable than I when t comes to tires and wheels. I am looking at the Razors also 20". My question is this the stock wheel is front 255/45/18 and the rear 285/40/18

So the Shebly site says that thye recommend using 255/35zr20's Well does this combination change the widths from the stock widths?

I do not want to sacrifice the current tire. Are the Razors thinner than the stock wheels. Maybe someone can help mt to comprehend the wheel sizing jargon.

Hey, jumpincactus, WELCOME!!!! Well, the current 18s can't be reused on the 20s.

As far as sizing, these calculators might help. If you plug in the nums, both the 255/45/18 and the 255/35/20s come out to 27" tall.

Also, the American Racing site might help on jargon: ...offset, backspacing, etc.

And good luck with your new baby!!!

You mention wheel sizing jargon...but the numbers you quote are TIRE sizes, not wheels. Below is tire sizing info. Wheels are a different story, including mention of backspacing and offset. Look earlier in this thread for more info on that topic.

Do a Google on tire sizing and you'll find loads of help. Here is one of a gazillion sites http://www.gmcanada.com/english/maintenanc..._tc_arti_5.html.

If you want the cliff notes version, here you go:

285 - section width in millimeters (therefore, the 255 they recommend is 30 mm "skinnier" than the 285

40 - aspect ratio...this tire is about 40% as tall as it is wide (note this is approximate)

18 - rim size in inches (never ceases to amaze me how we use both metric and inches in the same measure...18" and 285 mm :redcard: )

In summary, if you use the size they recommend, the rear tires would be thinner than stock, but the fronts would be the same WIDTH (255mm).

Dave

You mention wheel sizing jargon...but the numbers you quote are TIRE sizes, not wheels. Below is tire sizing info. Wheels are a different story, including mention of backspacing and offset. Look earlier in this thread for more info on that topic.

Do a Google on tire sizing and you'll find loads of help. Here is one of a gazillion sites http://www.gmcanada.com/english/maintenanc..._tc_arti_5.html.

If you want the cliff notes version, here you go:

285 - section width in millimeters (therefore, the 255 they recommend is 30 mm "skinnier" than the 285

40 - aspect ratio...this tire is about 40% as tall as it is wide (note this is approximate)

18 - rim size in inches (never ceases to amaze me how we use both metric and inches in the same measure...18" and 285 mm :redcard: )

In summary, if you use the size they recommend, the rear tires would be thinner than stock, but the fronts would be the same WIDTH (255mm).

Dave

Ya I got you on the tire size I was quoting. I relalise that I want the 20" wheel. I guess I worded it wrong. The info I needed was if I went to the 20 Razors how much would I lose in tire width using the recomended tire sizes on the 20 razors. Thanx for your help fellas time to do some homework

Ya I got you on the tire size I was quoting. I relalise that I want the 20" wheel. I guess I worded it wrong. The info I needed was if I went to the 20 Razors how much would I lose in tire width using the recomended tire sizes on the 20 razors. Thanx for your help fellas time to do some homework

Assuming the tire widths are numerically the same, the tire tread width should be comparable. The overall section on the lower prifile (35s) tires might be a tad smaller in section-width (it also varies by manufacturer and tire -- even of the same size) because the lower profile will typically not have as much sidewall bow, but the tread width should be comparable.

That said, 285/45 18s will still be wider in tread than 255/35 20s even though both with have the same diameter (see my prior post). I would want to stay with 285s (or wider ...on wider wheels) on the rear.

Am I answering your question, jumpincactus -- not sure if I'm reading your interests right.

-Dan

Archived