TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone else have this?

mmolzahn

I've been having to clean this mess up lately and was wondering if it's normal, or if I got a problem here. I don't ever top off the tank, and I'm always sucessful when trying to prevent a single drop of gas from touching the paint when I pull out the nozzle. After driving for a while I end up with gas all over my paint. Today, I pull into the gas station, haven't filled it up or driven the car in a week, and it's all wet looking in there, just like in the pics. WTF? Also, there doesn't appear to be anything on the part attached to the door which appears to be a seal of some sort. :headscratch:

post-27016-128244826407_thumb.jpg

post-27016-128244828238_thumb.jpg

post-27016-128244829635_thumb.jpg

post-27016-128244826407_thumb.jpg

post-27016-128244828238_thumb.jpg

post-27016-128244829635_thumb.jpg

I've been having to clean this mess up lately and was wondering if it's normal, or if I got a problem here. I don't ever top off the tank, and I'm always sucessful when trying to prevent a single drop of gas from touching the paint when I pull out the nozzle. After driving for a while I end up with gas all over my paint. Today, I pull into the gas station, haven't filled it up or driven the car in a week, and it's all wet looking in there, just like in the pics. WTF? Also, there doesn't appear to be anything on the part attached to the door which appears to be a seal of some sort. headscratch.gif

I never have driping down the side of my car like your pics show. I do have a small wet ring 1/2 inch wide around the bottom half of the neck butt never runs down. I don't notice this wet ring as much now that I installed the locking plug however. Looks like you have a warranty and safety issue.

I've been having to clean this mess up lately and was wondering if it's normal, or if I got a problem here. I don't ever top off the tank, and I'm always sucessful when trying to prevent a single drop of gas from touching the paint when I pull out the nozzle. After driving for a while I end up with gas all over my paint. Today, I pull into the gas station, haven't filled it up or driven the car in a week, and it's all wet looking in there, just like in the pics. WTF? Also, there doesn't appear to be anything on the part attached to the door which appears to be a seal of some sort. :headscratch:

I'd definitely take it into the dealer to have it checked. I have a 2010 Fusion and a 2011 GT500 with the capless gas feature and have never experienced any leakage, even after hard cornering with a full tank. Something is definitely amiss and should be addressed ASAP by your dealer. Take it in and get it repaired. My guess would be something with the evap system malfunctioning. Let us jnow how it turns out.

I'd definitely take it into the dealer to have it checked. I have a 2010 Fusion and a 2011 GT500 with the capless gas feature and have never experienced any leakage, even after hard cornering with a full tank. Something is definitely amiss and should be addressed ASAP by your dealer. Take it in and get it repaired. My guess would be something with the evap system malfunctioning. Let us know how it turns out.

If the capless fill neck/door is leaking you will get a check engine lamp. It goes through a self test and pressurizes the tank at cruise speeds...............

Just some info.........

No check engine light on mine. I'll bring it in probably mid-week, and follow up with the outcome.

No check engine light on mine. I'll bring it in probably mid-week, and follow up with the outcome.

mmolzahn,

What is elevation and day time temperatures in Tehachapi? Several thousand feet and moderate heat with the Shelby parked in the sun with a near full tank could result in fuel backing up the fill nozzle.

mmolzahn,

What is elevation and day time temperatures in Tehachapi? Several thousand feet and moderate heat with the Shelby parked in the sun with a near full tank could result in fuel backing up the fill nozzle.

My house is at 6100 feet upper 80's lower 90's at the warmest. Tehachapi is at about 4000 feet and about 5 degrees warmer. I often drive from my house down to Mojave area (2400 feet, over 100 degrees) I often fill up in Tehachapi and Mojave. The only time it spends parked outside is in the Edwards AFB area. When it's parked there though, it's at least 20 ish miles from the nearest place that I'm willing to fill it up at. I'd estimate that I use at least a gallon of gas just driving home or to work from the gas station. So it's never completly full when it's parked.

My house is at 6100 feet upper 80's lower 90's at the warmest. Tehachapi is at about 4000 feet and about 5 degrees warmer. I often drive from my house down to Mojave area (2400 feet, over 100 degrees) I often fill up in Tehachapi and Mojave. The only time it spends parked outside is in the Edwards AFB area. When it's parked there though, it's at least 20 ish miles from the nearest place that I'm willing to fill it up at. I'd estimate that at least a gallon is missing from the tank when it's parked either at home or work.

one of our chemical engineers on this forum im sure could calculate the volume increase in different elevations and temps--be interested in results--if it were me, id bring it to the dealer if your losing a gallon of gas--a gallon of gas is like a bomb if it ever ignites

i fooled around with some of my old thrmdyanics books--you have to compare the expansion of steel and gasoline with temo change--ill fool with it somemore,but it looks like like 3% volume increase with a 30 degree F change.Id try not filling it up all the way,and see if things get better.--bob

one of our chemical engineers on this forum im sure could calculate the volume increase in different elevations and temps--be interested in results--if it were me, id bring it to the dealer if your losing a gallon of gas--a gallon of gas is like a bomb if it ever ignites

Sorry, I didn't mean that a gallon is was missing due to the leak. When it's parked at home or work, I'm about 20 some miles away from the places where I fill up. I imagine that I use at least a gallon by the time I get home or to work just from the drive. The amount that is leaking appears to be very little, but more than a few drops that one might accidentally spill on their car, maybe a tablespoon or two. I edited the previous post to be more clear.

Also, I've never seen any gas on the ground when it's parked, and it's usually dried up on the car when I notice.

Sorry, I didn't mean that a gallon is was missing due to the leak. When it's parked at home or work, I'm about 20 some miles away from the places where I fill up. I imagine that I use at least a gallon by the time I get home or to work just from the drive. The amount that is leaking appears to be very little, but more than a few drops that one might accidentally spill on their car, maybe a tablespoon or two. I edited the previous post to be more clear.

Also, I've never seen any gas on the ground when it's parked, and it's usually dried up on the car when I notice.

PS the ohter test you could do is always put gas in at the lower altitude,higher temp location to avoid the expansion of gas issue

Dealer said they did a pressure test and there is nothing wrong. They suggested that I might be over-filling it? Maybe I'll get a chance to speak with the tech when I pick it up this afternoon.

thats good news--try o ut my suggestions anlet us know

thats good news--try o ut my suggestions anlet us know

I'll call it good news when there is no more gas on the outside of my car! Finding nothing wrong, means nothing got fixed, problem will likely continue. I did notice that there is some news about faulty gas pumps in California, I wonder if it could be related. I guess I'll find out if the hold-open latch is missing from the nozzle at the places where I fill up. I think that I would have noticed if the pump spilled gas in there. I'll be paying closer attention to it, and documenting where I fill up, and when it gets on the car, and taking more pictures.

I'll call it good news when there is no more gas on the outside of my car! Finding nothing wrong, means nothing got fixed, problem will likely continue. I did notice that there is some news about faulty gas pumps in California, I wonder if it could be related. I guess I'll find out if the hold-open latch is missing from the nozzle at the places where I fill up. I think that I would have noticed if the pump spilled gas in there. I'll be paying closer attention to it, and documenting where I fill up, and when it gets on the car, and taking more pictures.

all i was trying to say was it most likely is caused by expansion of gas in your tank under temp change--if its near full at a low temp, and you increase the temp 30Degrees, youl have 1/2 gallon forced out the top,since theres no closure at the top.

Dealer said they did a pressure test and there is nothing wrong. They suggested that I might be over-filling it? Maybe I'll get a chance to speak with the tech when I pick it up this afternoon.

Matt,

I'm glad to hear you don't have an equipment issue. As I had suspected (been in Tehachapi and Mojave), you have elevation and temperature issues that are somewhat unique to your geographical location. I suggest that when you leave Dryden, fuel up in Mojave (remember to stop at first nozzle shutoff click). On the way home going uphill several thousand feet, you'll burn a minimum of one and half to two gallons which should provide ample room for the cool fuel to expand without dripping out the filler nozzle. Let us know if that's the trick.

all i was trying to say was it most likely is caused by expansion of gas in your tank under temp change--if its near full at a low temp, and you increase the temp 30Degrees, youl have 1/2 gallon forced out the top,since theres no closure at the top.

I would think that their pressure test would cover gas expanding due to temperature change. Keep in mind that it takes time to travel between the temperature zones out here, and I would Imagine that I burn off at least a gallon before I see any significant temperature changes. I'll keep track of the temps too just in case it has anything to do with it. From what I have read about this capless filler is that it should hold the gas in better than if it had a cap on it.

Matt,

I'm glad to hear you don't have an equipment issue. As I had suspected (been in Tehachapi and Mojave), you have elevation and temperature issues that are somewhat unique to your geographical location. I suggest that when you leave Dryden, fuel up in Mojave (remember to stop at first nozzle shutoff click). On the way home going uphill several thousand feet, you'll burn a minimum of one and half to two gallons which should provide ample room for the cool fuel to expand without dripping out the filler nozzle. Let us know if that's the trick.

I have filled up in Tehachapi on my way to Edwards, and Mojave on my way to Tehachapi, each many times. I can't recall if it happens in any particular direction, I'll be paying closer attention now. I always stop pumping when the nozzle clicks off no matter which car I'm driving. I can't stand to watch other people top off their cars, when the pumps clearly state do not top off. The last time I drove it was from Tehachapi to Mojave started with 3/4 tank, and I had no leak. When I pick it up today, I'll go fill up at the same station in Mojave and take it up to Tehachapi and see what happens. I tend to think that the air pressure difference would have a greater effect than the temperature change though.

I often fill up in Tehachapi and Mojave. The only time it spends parked outside is in the Edwards AFB area.

One of my normal stops on my regular trips between CO and CA is at the Chevron in Tehachapi. I fill up but then I'm right back on the road and it's pretty much "down" from there (either way) so I never see any leakage.

I *do* however get some spill when I top off hard. It puddles under the car, just inside of the left rear tire. I always figured there was a spill tube that exited there. I happens *every* time I fill up and TOP OFF (which I only do when I'm going to be driving immediately afterwards). If I'm filling up to take the car home and park in the garage, I stop at the first auto shut-off click.

But I have *never* had gas spill down the outside of the cap/body as shown in your photo. That just doesn't seem right.

Phill

One of my normal stops on my regular trips between CO and CA is at the Chevron in Tehachapi. I fill up but then I'm right back on the road and it's pretty much "down" from there (either way) so I never see any leakage.

I *do* however get some spill when I top off hard. It puddles under the car, just inside of the left rear tire. I always figured there was a spill tube that exited there. I happens *every* time I fill up and TOP OFF (which I only do when I'm going to be driving immediately afterwards). If I'm filling up to take the car home and park in the garage, I stop at the first auto shut-off click.

But I have *never* had gas spill down the outside of the cap/body as shown in your photo. That just doesn't seem right.

Phill

Yeah, I've heard of other Ford cars with this system overfilling causes it to leak under the vehicle. I wasn't sure if it did on the Shelby though. I thought maybe b/c of the exhaust being under there maybe they just dump it out the side. Good to know.

Ok, so I got my car back and filled up in Mojave at my usual spot. I grabbed a few paper towels from the wash bin, and pushed it around in there to make sure there was no overfill, got nothing significant on the towel. It was 104 degrees out. Drove home, stopping at several places along the way to check. Bone dry the whole way home! 84 degrees at home. Now, I'll let it sit a while and check it before I take it out again.

Archived