TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT/CS front bumper replacement

Who makes the Shelby GT/California Special front bumper, and how long does it take to get the darn things??

The front bumper on my car had been damaged, repaired and damaged again before I bought it. I finally decided to order a replacement and get the Shelby parts transferred over rather than having the existing one repaired again, but it's been almost a month since I ordered the bumper and it hasn't arrived yet. I called the dealership after the first week and a half and they said it wasn't there yet. I called after two and a half weeks and was told that it comes from a vendor and can take up to a couple weeks, and they don't have a way to track it. On Monday it'll have been a month since I ordered it.

Has anyone else ordered the replacement bumper 'kit' part number 6R3Z-6320049-AA recently? If you have, how long did it take to arrive?

I'm a little annoyed that I had to pay up front, and yet it's taking so long to show up. Picturing my car with a new nose that's not cracked makes me feel a little better, but not much!

Current state of my splitter shown below. What doesn't show is that it's also missing all the plastic parts underneath. If you look, you can see the paint is also scratched down to the urathane below the passenger side headlight.

pins.jpg

It's been demonstrated on other forums that Ford has two parts numbers for the same piece. One for Insurance (repair part) and one for hobbyists (accessory part). The difference is a couple hundred dollars, maybe more. Worth researching.

It's been demonstrated on other forums that Ford has two parts numbers for the same piece. One for Insurance (repair part) and one for hobbyists (accessory part). The difference is a couple hundred dollars, maybe more. Worth researching.

The part number I listed is the 'bumper kit'. It comes with the bumper cover AND the plastic undershield that my car is missing. If you order just the bumper by itself it actually costs more. Believe me, I did research it as I need the plastic undershield as well. The kit is $399 from a Ford dealership. The dealership is telling me that they get it 'from the vendor', so I have a hard time believing that they're lying about it. I assume they contracted out the making of the part.

Here's a picture of the same bumper kit from Latemodel Restoration showing what you get:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-20049A/2005-09-Mustang-California-Special-Front-Bumper-Kit

It's $10 cheaper there, but they charge $135 shipping. I've watched it on their website, and the ship date bounces around a lot so I think they may end up having to wait to get them in stock as well.

Not to one-up you, but I waited seven, yes seven weeks for a PCM - the computer for my car. You'd think that since they've made hundreds of thousands of these GT's that getting a PCM would be no big deal. There wasn't one to be had anywhere. We were at the total mercy of the vendor that makes them for Ford. Not one PCM anywhere, not even the vendor had one in inventory. We had to wait until they made it for me. Unbelievable, but true.

Body shop called yesterday and said they had an 'issue' and were re shooting it.

Body shop called today and said they're having a problem with the paint lifting, and wanted to know if the bumper was factory or aftermarket. They're keeping the car over the weekend to let the paint cure more before applying the stripes.

I'm now officially worried. Maybe I should have just had the existing bumper repainted, and the Raceskinz splitter cover attached. That was my plan until I sold my motorcycle to use the money on a new bumper.

To be continued....

Body shop called yesterday and said they had an 'issue' and were re shooting it.

Body shop called today and said they're having a problem with the paint lifting, and wanted to know if the bumper was factory or aftermarket. They're keeping the car over the weekend to let the paint cure more before applying the stripes.

I'm now officially worried. Maybe I should have just had the existing bumper repainted, and the Raceskinz splitter cover attached. That was my plan until I sold my motorcycle to use the money on a new bumper.

To be continued....

I haven't heard of anyone making that part after market. The box it came in should have had Ford parts stickers all over it.

That said, not sure how the paint lifting has anything to so with that either way. Sounds like bad prep or not enough flex to me but I'll let one of our more knowledgeable paint members chime in.

I believe those bumpers require a special paint / process...unlike the metal...something like a "plastic adhesion promoter".

Special to the bumper, or is that something that all bumpers need? I'd think they do enough car bumpers to know how to do it right. Hopefully this one isn't made of some exotic plastic blend.

Archived