TEAM SHELBY FORUM

6 speed Terlingua?

erupff

What do you all suppose the possibility would be of swapping a 6 speed trans for the Terlingua factory 5 speed? Would it be possible to swap one in from a GT500, or would the best bet be to swap in one from a 2011 V6? Looking for your thoughts on difficulty, mods/adaptors needed, compatibility, ability to handle the power, etc. Thinking down the road a bit-----------------big picture kind of thing.

Evan

http://advanceadapters.com/

They would be you only source for finding/having a bell housing made to convert your application.

Since your big picture actually leaves us in the dark, I'm going to say stay with the 5spd and if you really need a double over drive then add............

http://www.gearvendors.com/

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

Since the tranny in the V6 has always been somewhat of a weak spot, anyone knows of aftermarket transmissions for the Mustang V6? I haven't had the time to do any research yet...

I originally put the question out there thinking that the 6 speed would be perhaps a more heavy duty, high performance option for the Terlingua, maybe the way to go is with that and an adapter from Advance Adapters like SVOC suggested. Don't know what the performance package mods will do to the factory 5 speed, but thinking an upgrade of some kind couldn't hurt. Thought about the upgraded rear axle and gears but have as of now decided to go with a custom built 9" rear in the future, so won't be engaging in any bunny abuse for the time being. Wonder if the 2011 6 speed from the v6 is any better and what mods necessary to drop in the Terlingua......

I originally put the question out there thinking that the 6 speed would be perhaps a more heavy duty, high performance option for the Terlingua, maybe the way to go is with that and an adapter from Advance Adapters like SVOC suggested. Don't know what the performance package mods will do to the factory 5 speed, but thinking an upgrade of some kind couldn't hurt. Thought about the upgraded rear axle and gears but have as of now decided to go with a custom built 9" rear in the future, so won't be engaging in any bunny abuse for the time being. Wonder if the 2011 6 speed from the v6 is any better and what mods necessary to drop in the Terlingua......

I'm around 430-450rwhp with my Terlingua, just replaced the clutch to a Spec Stage 2+ and had to change out the concentric slave cylinder too. I was still running around on the stock clutch until a few days ago and wasn't having any problems with my transmission. I know quite a few people have though and figure it is a matter of time before I burn mine up.

Archived